Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Test Ton You Saw Live

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Flintoff's first wicket is Kallis snicking off. First dismissal is snicking off to Kallis. Pretty cool.
    Yeah, not that I have any recollection of Kallis from that game, had no idea who he was at the time.

Was a really good test though, great series in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Damn, with the exception of Collingwood in Adelaide. How often is a double ton on the losing side? That must have been painful!
    Very. By lunch on the 5th day India had lost only one wicket. One of the worst receding into the shell from Tendulkar in that innings. They kept falling one after the other. With that loss India had to contend with 1-1 series result.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Haven't been to an international match before

International Captain
    Not sure what the rules are here. The first man I saw raise his bat for a century was Desmond Haynes at Lords in 1980 - but he was 90 odd not out from the previous day when I wasn't there.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Not sure what the rules are here. The first man I saw raise his bat for a century was Desmond Haynes at Lords in 1980 - but he was 90 odd not out from the previous day when I wasn't there.
    Actually, my memory fails me and embarrasses me. I just checked and the hundred I called, I didn't see Gooch's raise his bat. I saw until the end of the third day when he was 80 odd not out.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

jan
    Have never been to a cricket ground

Hoping to get a chance to change it in August while playing in Sussex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, any fastbowler's bunny, grainy low-res streams watcher

What was the first Test century you saw live at the ground?

As a callow and impressionable young cricketer, mine was Gooch's 154* at Headingley in 91

1st Test: England v West Indies at Leeds, Jun 6-10, 1991 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Pretty good start.

One of the best tons I've ever seen (on TV).

The first Test I attended was Day 2 of England v West Indies @ The Oval in 1976 (famously brown outfield). Viv Rchards was 200 not out overnight and went to to 291 so that doesn't count.

Two years later I was at the same ground and saw David Gower's 1st Test ton. In fact, he very nearly went to 100 with a 6, the ball landed inches inside the boundary at long on. If he'd hit it a couple of yards further, and a fraction straighter I'd have taken (actually more likely dropped) the catch.

I'd already seen him score a ODI ton (against Pakistan) that summer, and saw him get a good few good scores over the years. I was lucky.
    Last edited by Biryani Pillow; 15-03-2013 at 10:07 AM.

First Test ton : Chanderpaul 118 in 2011 against us

First ODI ton : Ponting 145 against Zimbabwe in 1998

4th Test: Australia v England at Sydney, Jan 4-9, 1975 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Greg Chappell

Dont remember it but know I was there

First test century that I remember seeing was also Chappell in his last test innings

5th Test: Australia v Pakistan at Sydney, Jan 2-6, 1984 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    The first ton I saw live was Sachin's 137 against Pakistan at Chennai. A painful day that and the first and last test I have been to. I had gone to see him score a duck on day 2 earlier.

3rd Test: Australia v West Indies at Sydney, Jan 2-6, 1993 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

93 at the SCG I saw Lara's 277. Although technically I saw Ritchie Richardsons ton first and the no helmet hook shots is something I still remember. Lara just looked like he had so much time he would never get out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    The first ton I saw live was Sachin's 137 against Pakistan at Chennai. A painful day that and the first and last test I have been to. I had gone to see him score a duck on day 2 earlier.
    Coincidentally, that was the first test i saw live, but i was there for Days 2,3 and 4 which meant i saw Afridi's 141 in the 3rd innings first, so that would be the first ton i saw live. And honestly i would say its up there with one of the best ive had the privilege of being live... was every bit as good as Tendukar's epic on the fourth day, which i also saw... havent cried that hard ever due to something cricket related

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Dravid on the last day of this game. 2nd Test: England v India at Nottingham, Aug 8-12, 2002 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo Funny I didn't remember Dravid scoring a hundred at all until I looked at the scorecard again. Was pretty young. The three moments I remember were 1) Been disappointed at Vaughan ripping one through the gate against Sachin 2) Ganguly hooking one off Flintoff and Harmison who is at deep square leg getting no hand on the catch as the ball lobbed over him and going for 4 3) Cork putting in a good spell in the afternoon

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Inspired by this post

What was the first Test century you saw live at the ground?

As a callow and impressionable young cricketer, mine was Gooch's 154* at Headingley in 91

1st Test: England v West Indies at Leeds, Jun 6-10, 1991 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Can't remember but whoever it was unlike yours it wasn't the best century ever scored in a Test, and I didn't help play him into form that morning

U19 Debutant
    Sachin's 177 against Australia is my first ..3rd Test: India v Australia at Bangalore, Mar 25-28, 1998 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

My second is Mark Waugh's in the same match..2 great knocks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information