• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does a team maintain greatness ?

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
and should this even be expected ? As West Indian ived watch people (many aussies too) just laugh at the difficulty of our players to do well. In fact the last time West Indies went to AUS we were laughed at after the first test. Thankfully kemar roach came back and assaulted ricky ponting, Gayle stood up etc in the remaining matches. But the Aussie press was mean, so mean Tony Cozier wrote they should remember when West Indian players use to fill seats and attracted many people to watch the game.

The recent AUS decline is interesting and it's happening faster than WI hit rock bottom and was in Chaos. After the 15 years of not losing and being number one we had a few good players in the team and remained competitive until SA beat us 5-0 (and we did not began losing home series like AUS is doing now). It is clear greatness is not easy to follow and domination for two-three generation of cricketers is not easy to maintain. I think it's funny how people in general laughed at WI "no more shaking of coconut tree to get a fast bowler" etc even tho there is no model to maintain domination and AUS is proving this again. It is probably fair to expect AUS to decline even more, I wouldn't be surprise if by the end of this tour there isn't talk of getting a new captain and thats how the turmoil begins.

And this talk of WI players not caring, not earning enough etc..all these bull**** theories are looking real weak now. Track and Field, Soccer etc taking away the good players.. all looking shaky as another great team is taking a deep slide that doesn't have all the same problems as WI. And with the recent disciplinary actions suggest Otis Gibson may have showed up in AUS way quicker than he took to get to WI. AUs better not make the same mistakes as WI, dropping star players, dropping the best team over board issues etc. What if Clarke retires like hussey or Lara ? Look how easy it would be for a darren sammy to be in charge and look how quickly all the great AUs players will be crying like great WI players have been doing for years. I can honestly imagine shane warne having a public protest lol :laugh: But where is the model ?

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
The recent Aus decline is fascinating, actually, for being the only decline in history in which a team has improved it's standing over the past two years.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
The recent Aus decline is fascinating, actually, for being the only decline in history in which a team has improved it's standing over the past two years.
yeah because not losing for years and being number 4/5 in the rankings are the same 8-):laugh:

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
WTH? Aus was in decline during 09/10/11. After that they are slowly improving. Who is number 4/5?
The point is once they are no longer number one they are in decline - not dominating as they did in the past. I don't really check the rankings after every series but in recent times they have been ranked 4th. I just checked and they are now ranked 3rd, thanks to India losing to AUS, and Eng recently.

but I don't mind the rejection of the theory that AUS is in decline, i'm sure many fans who are use to winning don't share this view.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm just happy I don't have to put up with that ridiculous notion of "Australianism." No, it wasnt some random quality that only Australians have - it was because they had players that only Australia had - warne, McGrath, ponting , Gilchrist, Hayden, Waugh.....

Spark

Global Moderator
See maybe it's just me with this obsolete dedication to actually using words according to their meaning, but I always thought decline meant getting worse. Which, until this tour, we haven't been.

uvelocity

International Coach
I'm just happy I don't have to put up with that ridiculous notion of "Australianism." No, it wasnt some random quality that only Australians have - it was because they had players that only Australia had - warne, McGrath, ponting , Gilchrist, Hayden, Waugh.....
nah ****, these cat's just don't have the australianism. it will be back :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Love it when SS launches against the concept of "Australianism" as a reason why the Australian cricket team were good. Always entertaining.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha. Man I hate that word so much. It's like "American Exceptionalism." It's a stupid self-aggrandizing term that explains away real successes by attributing it to some ephemeral quality - eg you get off the boat, take a whiff of Ellis Island, and voila - you're exceptional. Ignores some very important reasons for why America was successful - and by ignoring it, you're harming yourself long term because you think it's innate rather than something you have to create, nurture and maintain.

uvelocity

International Coach
clearly australianism is an intrinsic attribute of our cricketers and explains our success. foreign born coach, players and spending time away from the giver of this talent, terra australis, has diluted the australianism and therefore our success.