• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does a team maintain greatness ?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that Australia has a ****ing vegetarian opening the bowling is a source of great concern.

Without checking the statistics, I would say India has a relatively high vegetarianism rate, and when was the last time they had a decent fast bowler?

Mother ****er.

L Trumper

State Regular
Haha. Man I hate that word so much. It's like "American Exceptionalism." It's a stupid self-aggrandizing term that explains away real successes by attributing it to some ephemeral quality - eg you get off the boat, take a whiff of Ellis Island, and voila - you're exceptional. Ignores some very important reasons for why America was successful - and by ignoring it, you're harming yourself long term because you think it's innate rather than something you have to create, nurture and maintain.
I ****ing hate that word. Ironic neo-cons love that word considering Stalin was the one who popularized it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The fact that Australia has a ****ing vegetarian opening the bowling is a source of great concern.

Without checking the statistics, I would say India has a relatively high vegetarianism rate, and when was the last time they had a decent fast bowler?

Mother ****er.
:laugh: even though I am a veggie myself, that was just too funny.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Mother ****er.
I've been considering vegetarianism for some time, mostly due to ethical concerns about animal welfare. It's a big decision though. Leaves me open to ridicule when camping with the mates. Means I can't just throw a steak and a few sausages on the BBQ. Means I can't have roast lamb anymore (probably my favourite food). Winter beef stews. Bangers and mash. Burritos. Bacon.

****, I'm hungry now...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like you need to learn about a little thing called the food chain.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When the West Indies dominated it was just because so many great players happened to come along at the same time. When Australia dominated it was because they put a structure in place in an attempt to ensure that they didn't plummet to the depth of the mid 80's again. In both cases the supply of great players dried up, which goes to prove how difficult it is to maintain the highest standards.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
By having at least ten players in the set up at any given time over a period of five years or more, all ranging from good to great. Totally random numbers, but I'm sure the Windies and Aussie teams would measure up favourably.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
If we go back to the eighties, we could be comparable to one batsman standing alone amongst a revolving door of contemporaries. The nadir between 1985-87, characterised by losing at home to England and New Zealand, took two years of transition before Taylor, Marsh, Jones, reborn Waugh and Border all fired at once on the 1989 Ashes tour.

I think it's reasonable to expect our team to gradually improve once they get a more eclectic experience of international conditions over a two-year period or so. It's not like any of the top order lack raw talent (even Cowan in his mental application); what they need is the security of the knowledge that one bad performance means you're not impulsively rotated out and demoted to the bottom of the pecking order.

And if a freakish Shield performer comes knocking down Invers' door in the meantime, so much the better.

We will contest these Ashes, probably on the depth of our fast men (which one will note was a severe problem in 2009). But everyone's slowly getting better. Take comfort in that. Look at Hughes FFS, who managed to correct a horrific technical problem in two Tests that many greats took a lifetime and good form to erase that criticism of their own records.

Last edited:

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
If we go back to the eighties, we could be comparable to one batsman standing alone amongst a revolving door of contemporaries. The nadir between 1985-87, characterised by losing at home to England and New Zealand, took two years of transition before Taylor, Marsh, Jones, reborn Waugh and Border all fired at once on the 1989 Ashes tour.

I think it's reasonable to expect our team to gradually improve once they get a more eclectic experience of international conditions over a two-year period or so. It's not like any of the top order lack raw talent (even Cowan in his mental application); what they need is the security of the knowledge that one bad performance means you're not impulsively rotated out and demoted to the bottom of the pecking order.

And if a freakish Shield performer comes knocking down Invers' door in the meantime, so much the better.

We will contest these Ashes, probably on the depth of our fast men (which one will note was a severe problem in 2009). But everyone's slowly getting better. Take comfort in that. Look at Hughes FFS, who managed to correct a horrific technical problem in two Tests that many greats took a lifetime and good form to erase that criticism of their own records.
Ian Chappell does not believe Cowan should be playing national cricket lolol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Every single interview he has given about AUS in the past few months he has something along the lines of "well cowan him.. I don't know what he's doing in the team..I don't think he stands a chance" it's funny seeing Chappell target someone so badly..