• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen vs Sangakkara

better batsman tests

• Total voters

L Trumper

State Regular
:laugh:

Anyways mate, sorry if I misinterpreted you, but when people start on about being a selfish batsman (i.e making slow runs, having a low strikerate etc.) my mind just goes straight to thinking that basically, batsmen people consider selfish are the ones who aren't taking unnecessary risks and losing their wicket cheaply all the time. Chanders has proved that he can attack when necessary, and he's also saved many matches for the Windies with his "selfish" batting.
No he didn't. Being not out at the end doesn't automatically mean he saved the test.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
why do people think SL is full of flat tracks - usually they turn a mile by day three or they are soft green tops due to monsoonal conditions...

not scoring runs in some conditions doesn't make you a worse player than someone who scores everywhere - you have to be damned good in your own conditions to wind up with an average pushing 60.

Spark

Global Moderator
why do people think SL is full of flat tracks - usually they turn a mile by day three or they are soft green tops due to monsoonal conditions...

not scoring runs in some conditions doesn't make you a worse player than someone who scores everywhere - you have to be damned good in your own conditions to wind up with an average pushing 60.
Sinhalese Sports Club | Sri Lanka | Cricket Grounds | ESPN Cricinfo

(no idea why that's listed under "Australia" mind)

SL pitches do get a rough deal I agree, but when their most popular ground is quite probably the flattest deck in the world, not hard to see why people have that impression.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
OOH, Sanga has scored some more runs against Banga, count it against him, quick......

Mike5181

International Captain
OOH, Sanga has scored some more runs against Banga, count it against him, quick......
Considering Sangakkara has comfortably scored more runs than anyone in test matches against Bangladesh, it is something relevant to bring it up in these sorts of battles. It should mostly be nullified when you look at his record against every other team, where England is really the only team he's had performances equal to or just below an ok level. Even there he averages 35. Throw in the fact he was a keeper for a decent length of time, and he takes this battle quite comfortably.

grecian

Considering Sangakkara has comfortably scored more runs than anyone in test matches against Bangladesh, it is something relevant to bring it up in these sorts of battles. It should mostly be nullified when you look at his record against every other team, where England is really the only team he's had performances equal to or just below an ok level. Even there he averages 35. Throw in the fact he was a keeper for a decent length of time, and he takes this battle quite comfortably.
The fact is this thread seems to have been created on the back of his 100s against Bzangas, someone laughably comparing KPs last three 100s with Sankas. So there's no doubt people are using his run-scoring to actually denigrate him.

Which is just so ****ing weird, IMHO.

I've also gone past annoyance and am flirting with amusement about this thread, surely not since the iliad of woes that was Dicko, has such a one-sided argument, gone on so long.

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular
Nah! He is averaging less than 40 in four countries, that is below par for a top batsman. He may be better than KP but it is very close than what many people are making it sound.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I do find it funny though. People say Sanga getting runs in SL is boosting on flat tracks, but then nothing of such is said for all of the batsman in the current New Zealand v England series. I'd also like to know why a side like England go to Sri Lanka and so regularly bat like headless chickens if the pitches are such roads too.

Satyanash89

Banned
Nah! He is averaging less than 40 in four countries, that is below par for a top batsman. He may be better than KP but it is very close than what many people are making it sound.
Yep. Sanga's great and all but his limitations are being glossed over a bit here.

No one's really justified why they think Sanga is so much better than KP as to find the comparison pointless. Against the top sides KP has a record quite comparable to Sanga's and considering his attacking style an average of 49 is superb. There's no way Sanga is so far ahead that he can't be compared to Pietersen, imo

Last edited:

grecian

Yep. Sanga's great and all but his limitations are being glossed over a bit here.

No one's really justified why they think Sanga is so much better than KP as to find the comparison pointless. Against the top sides KP has a record quite comparable to Sanga's and considering his attacking s
Agreed, I'd say they've only been mentioned about a couple of dozen times in this thread alone.

I think it's a specious argument just to go on about performances against top bowlers.

There's a world in between Banglas, and Warne, McGrath.

In that world Sanga scores incredibly heavily and helps his side, a lot more than KP does, significantly more without gloves.

I feel the same about the way Gooch is praised for his great innings, and performances against great attacks.

Rather ignoring all those times he got out to average bowlers and England lost.

Last edited:

Satyanash89

Banned
Agreed, I'd say they've only been mentioned about a couple of dozen times in this thread alone.

I think it's a specious argument just to go on about performances against top bowlers.

In that world Sanga scores incredibly heavily and helps his side, a lot more than KP does, significantly more without gloves.

I feel the same about the way Gooch is praised for his great innings, and performances against great attacks.

That's all well and good but Pietersen record is outstanding overall, far from Gooch like, in the sense that he did brilliantly against great bowlers, couldn't cash in that regularly against average ones.

In my post "top sides" meant everyone except Bang/Zimbabwe, so your argument is totally invalid anyway

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yesssssssssssss

grecian

That's all well and good but Pietersen record is outstanding overall, far from Gooch like, in the sense that he did brilliantly against great bowlers, couldn't cash in that regularly against average ones.

In my post "top sides" meant everyone except Bang/Zimbabwe, so your argument is totally invalid anyway
Well not really, because if you take out banga/zimba, then sanga clearly does many runs better, so it's not close.

L Trumper

State Regular

Ok, firstly if you are taking his average with no gloves for this comparison, that means you are saying he is significantly better than Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting et al. too. That is just a disingenuous argument.

As far as helping his team lot more than KP, it is not really true. Like I previously mentioned the biggest difference between them is their records against Pak. Against every other team its pretty close, in fact KP edges it.

L Trumper

State Regular
I do find it funny though. People say Sanga getting runs in SL is boosting on flat tracks, but then nothing of such is said for all of the batsman in the current New Zealand v England series. I'd also like to know why a side like England go to Sri Lanka and so regularly bat like headless chickens if the pitches are such roads too.
Who? On this forum, may be OP went a little over board, no one else did. Also I don't think any one who actually follows game with enough interest would say that.

L Trumper

State Regular
Well not really, because if you take out banga/zimba, then sanga clearly does many runs better, so it's not close.
No he doesn't. Again biggest difference is in their records against Pak. Apart from that it is similar with KP shading it a better. I think sanga is better, but your hatred of KP(the person) , making you spout nonsense regarding his ability as a batsman. It is far closer than you think.

abmk

State 12th Man
Would have to go with sanga overall .... The gap widened when KP was in a slump, but with these 3 brilliant tons - vs steyn/morkel , in SL and in India , that gap reduced considerably IMO, even more so as he has improved his record in the SC ....

But it isn't that big a difference as the difference in averages indicate or as some are making it out be ... nowhere close ..

Last edited:

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
KP plays match winning or saving knocks in big games against the odds regularly against the best attacks and/or in their home conditions, playing outrageously skilled attacking cricket. KP's knocks often turn around or decide a series, ever since his first series. Sangakkara is a good solid player who fills his boots when he can and makes the odd decent knock overseas. But he doesn't bend big games and series to his will in the same way, except maybe against Bangladesh...