• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen vs Sangakkara

better batsman tests

• Total voters

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Not close for me. KP is no Sanga but he's better than AB imo. Incidentally I agree that KP is a little bit better than de Villiers. However for whatever reason the difference in ability with the bat is not really reflected in the stats, which would suggest that they're on about the same level. Given that, I'd take de Villiers for his fielding/wicketkeeping and for being a better team man seemingly.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I'd take ABDV over Pietersen as batsmen provided that AB wasn't keeping/captaining. Obviously a bit of bias, but I definitely reckon AB will be considered > Pietersen when their careers are over.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Poor old Chanders, never gets a mention....
Probably cos he's a selfish ****.

I'm withholding judgement on AbDev for a few more years, realistically this is his peak afaik especially if he keeps keeping as he is now because its going to shorten his career given his supposed back problems when he keeps.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably cos he's a selfish ****.

I'm withholding judgement on AbDev for a few more years, realistically this is his peak afaik especially if he keeps keeping as he is now because its going to shorten his career given his supposed back problems when he keeps.
Mmmm, just like anyone who saves their team multiple times is a selfish ****.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
He is selfish, and he has demonstrated it too many times to mention in his career.
Completely agree with you about Chanderpaul. Firstly, he's not in Sanga's class anyway. His average and strike rate are inferior by non negligible amounts, and he has proved on many occasions in his career that he only knows how to bat at one tempo regardless of match dynamics and the needs of his team. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, all you need to do to understand his disgracefully self-centred approach to what is quintessentially a team game, is to watch in succession each of the many run out incidents involving Chanderpaul but in which he hardly ever is the one to lose his wicket. There are many good reasons why Chanderpaul is not considered a great player even by the West Indians, who have had enough great batsmen to know one when they see one.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Completely agree with you about Chanderpaul. Firstly, he's not in Sanga's class anyway. His average and strike rate are inferior by non negligible amounts, and he has proved on many occasions in his career that he only knows how to bat at one tempo regardless of match dynamics and the needs of his team. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, all you need to do to understand his disgracefully self-centred approach to what is quintessentially a team game, is to watch in succession each of the many run out incidents involving Chanderpaul but in which he hardly ever is the one to lose his wicket. There are many good reasons why Chanderpaul is not considered a great player even by the West Indians, who have had enough great batsmen to know one when they see one.
Not losing your wicket is always the sign of horrible batsman :laugh:

I'm guessing you never saw him smack that 69 ball century, huh?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Completely agree with you about Chanderpaul. Firstly, he's not in Sanga's class anyway. His average and strike rate are inferior by non negligible amounts, and he has proved on many occasions in his career that he only knows how to bat at one tempo regardless of match dynamics and the needs of his team.
IIRC he has hit one of the fastest test centuries ever.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
IIRC he has hit one of the fastest test centuries ever.
I know; so what? I have also seen Misbah bat like a cross between Lance Klusener and Viv Richards for short stretches. But I could also off the top of my head list a dozen innings in which both of these players have crawled along unnecessarily slowly in a way that has hindered rather than helped the ultimate goals of their respective teams. As for the muppet above who seems to think I'm marking down Chanderpaul for "not losing his wicket", as opposed to a consistent track record of craven selfishness which includes not only refusing to do the correct thing even when at fault in mix ups in running between the wicket, but also accumulating runs in a way that often goes against the best interests of his team, I'm LOLing at you mate, on account of your obvious lack of reading comprehension and/or imbecility. If you can't understand the nuances of another poster's arguments, it's better to ask nicely - or remain silent - than to make a public fool of yourself.

Satyanash89

Banned
Really should cut back on the personal attacks.
Completely agree with you about CWB304. Firstly, he's not in Coronis' class anyway. His rudeness and personal attack rate are superior by non
negligible amounts, and he has proved on many occasions in his career that he only knows how to post how he wants regardless of thread dynamics and the needs of the forum. You need to understand CWB304's disgracefully self-centred approach in what is quintessentially a community. There are many good reasons why CWB304 is not considered a great poster even by the CWers, who have had enough great posters to know one when they see one. :ph34r:

Ftr, I think CWB304 is a quality poster but I just couldn't resist

Last edited:

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Really should cut back on the personal attacks.
Read what he wrote! The other poster first of all deliberately misrepresented me - I did not mark down Chanders for "not losing his wicket" -; and then he added one of those annoying smileys to multiply the ridicule - of what I hadn't written! I was, if anything, insufficiently vigorous in response.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Completely agree with you about CWB304. Firstly, he's not in Coronis' class anyway. His rudeness and personal attack rate are superior by non
negligible amounts, and he has proved on many occasions in his career that he only knows how to post how he wants regardless of thread dynamics and the needs of the forum. You need to understand CWB304's disgracefully self-centred approach in what is quintessentially a community. There are many good reasons why CWB304 is not considered a great poster even by the CWers, who have had enough great posters to know one when they see one. :ph34r:

:laugh: you do CWB304 better than the original!

smash84

The Tiger King
Read what he wrote! The other poster first of all deliberately misrepresented me - I did not mark down Chanders for "not losing his wicket" -; and then he added one of those annoying smileys to multiply the ridicule - of what I hadn't written! I was, if anything, insufficiently vigorous in response.
:laugh:

CWB WAG

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

Anyways mate, sorry if I misinterpreted you, but when people start on about being a selfish batsman (i.e making slow runs, having a low strikerate etc.) my mind just goes straight to thinking that basically, batsmen people consider selfish are the ones who aren't taking unnecessary risks and losing their wicket cheaply all the time. Chanders has proved that he can attack when necessary, and he's also saved many matches for the Windies with his "selfish" batting.

the big bambino

International Captain

I think its too early in CWB304's career to reach a definitive conclusion on his greatness. He's only had just under 350 posts. Wait til he reaches 1000 or 2000 before we can rate him an ATG poster.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think its too early in CWB304's career to reach a definitive conclusion on his greatness. He's only had just under 350 posts. Wait til he reaches 1000 or 2000 before we can rate him an ATG poster.
If multis of precam can be voted as ATG without having made more than a few dozen posts then CWB surely stands in the race :ph34r:

angad

U19 12th Man
Voted for KP, he is class above. Never enjoyed Sangakkara's batting. Sanga vs Chanderpaul will be better fight.