• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen vs Sangakkara

better batsman tests

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd take Dravid over Sanga and Kallis as a batsman. Complete packagewise, Kallis and Sanga, together with Gilchrist are peerless in the current era.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga over Dravid. That is a joke, isn't it?

Dravid has one the best overseas records of all batsmen. He even tended to do better away from home. What a legend

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I don't know what I hate more, comparison threads or the default "I hate comparison threads, stats suck blah" post
Haha, this. If you don't like the thread, don't post in it and whinge about how crap it is. Some people do enjoy the thread.

I can't help but feel that the timing of this thread is slightly disingenuous as well. Alright, those two tons may not have been the most difficult of all time and you could certainly make the case that it doesn't enhance Sangs's standing as a batsman at all, but then neither does it detract from it.
Yeah, this. I almost find that Sanga's reputation is damaged every time he scores a ton at home. People just cry FTB for anything inside Sri Lanka because the pitches are apparently flat. Of course, when a Sri Lankan spinner rips through England in Sri Lanka, the pitch is spin friendly. 8-)

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
How many wickets were taken in that match compared to runs scored?
The pitch was flat and attack was poor, not a baseless acusation, it's a fact, and Kumar cashed. Nothing wrong with that.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I didn't see any of the match, so I can't comment on the pitch. But it is dangerous to comment on it based on how many runs were scored, given the bowling attacks of the two teams.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How many wickets were taken in that match compared to runs scored?
The pitch was flat and attack was poor, not a baseless acusation, it's a fact, and Kumar cashed. Nothing wrong with that.
Spark nailed it though. It's almost as if his reputation is sullied by scoring runs like that sometimes. Sure the last Test he played really does add very, very little value to his standing to a batsman, however it almost seems as if people rate him less for scoring those hundreds than if he'd bagged a pair.

It's one thing to say they may very little or even nothing; it's another thing to actually put him down for scoring those runs.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't critisize him for it though.

As I said he cashed in, nothing wrong with that. He is not in my mind exactly the greatest road warrior, but he also isn't nearly the FTBs that Sehwag and Mahela are.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
And I didn't say you did.

It does seem like he does get criticised it for it sometimes though. Not by you.
One of the many things I dislike. It doesn't necessarily increase his standing, but, I don't see how it can decrease people's opinion of them..

L Trumper

State Regular
And I didn't say you did.

It does seem like he does get criticised it for it sometimes though. Not by you.
Not in this thread. But criticism is more also nuanced than that. The point is he might have scored lot more runs in those cases than others, consequently less in more demanding situations. I don't think it is true, but that is a valid criticism.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Not in this thread. But criticism is more also nuanced than that. The point is he might have scored lot more runs in those cases than others, consequently less in more demanding situations. I don't think it is true, but that is a valid criticism.
Hence mere raw stats don't tell you anything when someone has played so much at home and so little away.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Stats do not make Sachin better than Ponting.

Stats do make Sangakkarra better than Pieterson.

It's the relative values of each that are quite significantly different.

Sangakkarra has scored more runs at a better average over a longer period of time in a variety of conditions against a variety of quality bowling.

L Trumper

State Regular
Stats do not make Sachin better than Ponting.

Stats do make Sangakkarra better than Pieterson.

It's the relative values of each that are quite significantly different.

Sangakkarra has scored more runs at a better average over a longer period of time in a variety of conditions against a variety of quality bowling.
Did he though? Without BD his average falls down to 53. He averages less than 40 in ENG, SA, IND, WI- that is half the teams-. The reason he has better record than KP is mostly based on his outstanding record against/in PAK/UAE. Apart from that both have similar records, in fact KP shades it a bit. I do think Sanga is better but this idea of them not being in same class, him being streets ahead is complete conjecture.