18 25.00%
  • sanga

54 75.00%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pietersen vs Sangakkara

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    I don't know what I hate more, comparison threads or the default "I hate comparison threads, stats suck blah" post
    you probably just hate flem. it's very understandable.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I don't know what I hate more, comparison threads or the default "I hate comparison threads, stats suck blah" post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    ^^^

You're all secretly in love with me. I can tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

This comparison came up a couple of years ago actually when one bloke raised it and was thoroughly lambasted by all and sundry. Can't believe it's turned into to a legitimately big support base by now.

Sanga ahead by a pretty ****ing ridiculous amount*, in my opinion. and before someone psuedo-strawmans me, It's not because KP doesn't average 50 that I don't consider him in Sanga's league.

* - By which I mean, while KP is no doubt a fine batsman, I don't really see a comparison.
    Last edited by Teja.; 14-03-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Am I missing something here? It's Sangakkara.
    ​63*

I can't help but feel that the timing of this thread is slightly disingenuous as well. Alright, those two tons may not have been the most difficult of all time and you could certainly make the case that it doesn't enhance Sangs's standing as a batsman at all, but then neither does it detract from it.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    This comparison came up a couple of years ago actually when one bloke raised it and was thoroughly lambasted by all and sundry. Can't believe it's turned into to a legitimately big support base by now.

Sanga ahead by a pretty ****ing ridiculous amount*, in my opinion. and before someone psuedo-strawmans me, It's not because KP doesn't average 50 that I don't consider him in Sanga's league.

* - By which I mean, while KP is no doubt a fine batsman, I don't really see a comparison.
    Nah, it's not really a legit comparison now even. The cult of KP is always that his fans are very vocal, but the poll suggests it's fairly comfortable.

Sanga actually kept wicket for 40 matches too, which he averaged over 15 less than his career average. He averages 68 without 'keeping. That's preety good, even with easy runs.
    Last edited by grecian; 14-03-2013 at 09:43 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Haha holy ****, I didnt even look at the poll. From the comments just assumed KP was dominating it. Felt that after KP played that knock against India (won test innigns of the year in cricinfo awards) it was being skewed towards him. Poll is hugely in favour of Sanga.

Not so underrated after all I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Haha holy ****, I didnt even look at the poll. From the comments just assumed KP was dominating it. Felt that after KP played that knock against India (won test innigns of the year in cricinfo awards) it was being skewed towards him. Poll is hugely in favour of Sanga.

Not so underrated after all I guess.
    Haha yeah I was surprised after I voted too. I was actually going to make a post a bit like Teja's whinging about Sangakkara being so under-rated here but after I saw the poll results I felt like a dickhead and didn't bother.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Sanga averages 68 when not keeping

Different class to KP

Oh gawd Jono, Soctroll and the android agreeing with I, it's a dark day for me
    Last edited by grecian; 14-03-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Oh gawd Jono, Soctroll and the android agreeing with I, it's a dark day for me
    First time you've agreed with us

First time you've got something right

There's a lesson in there if you look close enough

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Pietersen capable of playing a better innings than almost any batsman but not consistent enough to be right up there, probably.

I'd pick Sanga for the long haul; if I knew I was getting their absolute best for the next match then it'd probably be Pietersen. Probably.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    First time you've agreed with us

First time you've got something right

There's a lesson in there if you look close enough
    yep, being right isn't all that.

That article proves nothing. All it states is that Sanga averages 47 overseas to Ponting's 45. What I said was that Ponting has a much better rounded record overseas, which he does. Sanga averages in the 30s in England, South Africa, West indies and surprisingly, India.
    Ponting has done brilliantly everywhere except India, where his early mental block against Harbhajan caused him to struggle. He averages well over 40 everywhere else.
    Interesting point of view, let's just say that I don't agree with runs above a certain amount being considered as 'good', it's not the same if a player averages 50 or 75 in a specific country. Actually, from a (team POV it would be better to have quite a few more specialized players to pick out of conditions than trying to build batsmen capable of averaging 40 everywhere, but that's not the point of this discussion.

About Sanga's poor record in some countries, it must be also said that he always played in shortish series when abroad, which, apart from lacking time to standardize his numbers, mainly means less time to adapt and worse performances. Wasn't in the last English tour that he only tonned up in the last game? It's a factor that must be taken into account when considering overseas records for the players of certain countries.
    It's the pitch, stupid.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information