• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen vs Sangakkara

better batsman tests

• Total voters

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
Definitely. If no rules there will be bottle cps around and it will be very rarely a match will last 5 days. Not to mention reverse swinging beamers.

Rules are there. **** happens, deal with it.
Because we all know ball tampering and reverse swinging beamers are the same as time limit in test cricket.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Take the gloves off and it gets real impressive, real quick, against allcomers. While his record against SA in SA is not Bradmanesque, more than few top flight batsmen would take that record .

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
mm thats a century every 2 and a half matches. Don't think anyone ever had such a sustained peak besides Bradman, maybe Ponting? (correct me if I'm wrong). Though to be more accurate you'd probably do it after he gave up the gloves for good. Last time he was consistently keeping was against England in 06.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/50710.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=start;spanmin1=3+Jun+2006;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

29 centuries in 70 matches, not bad at all.

Last edited:
Yeah - Pieterson averages 47 as a batsman with 38 in the second innings, and 44 away with 11 at neutral venues.

Sangakarra verages 69 as a batsman with 54 in the second innings (average includes his 48 wicket keeping matches) and 53 away including his 48 wicket keeping matches) with 62 in neutral.

There really is no contest. Personally, I really enjoy watching both of them bat. Both very easy on the eye and great players of the modern generation. But - Sangakarra wins this by the length of Flemington Straight.

For me, Sanga defecates all over Tendulkar's record, but Sri Lanka does not have the fan base or money that India does. So we will hear about Tendulkar ad nauseam until Kohli starts to threaten his record. Then we will hear about Kohli ad nauseam.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah - Pieterson averages 47 as a batsman with 38 in the second innings, and 44 away with 11 at neutral venues.

Sangakarra verages 69 as a batsman with 54 in the second innings (average includes his 48 wicket keeping matches) and 53 away including his 48 wicket keeping matches) with 62 in neutral.

There really is no contest. Personally, I really enjoy watching both of them bat. Both very easy on the eye and great players of the modern generation. But - Sangakarra wins this by the length of Flemington Straight.

For me, Sanga defecates all over Tendulkar's record, but Sri Lanka does not have the fan base or money that India does. So we will hear about Tendulkar ad nauseam until Kohli starts to threaten his record. Then we will hear about Kohli ad nauseam.

Dont be so sure... Tendulkar fanboyism >>>> India fanboyism... I already have cousins who are discussing why Rohit is better than Kohli... Only because in a few other circles, there is talk of Kohli being a better ODI bat than Sachin....

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dont be so sure... Tendulkar fanboyism >>>> India fanboyism... I already have cousins who are discussing why Rohit is better than Kohli... Only because in a few other circles, there is talk of Kohli being a better ODI bat than Sachin....
This is a really weird post. There are tons of Indians who already consider Kohli at Tendulkar's level in ODIs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is a really weird post. There are tons of Indians who already consider Kohli at Tendulkar's level in ODIs.

That's the point OS.. That is the vocal minority.. And there are literally thousands of Indians who think no one can come near Sachin and will hence find a way to downgrade the next big thing, those are the ones I am talking about.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He said "better" not on the same level.
But he isn't better, not yet. Why expect people to rate Kohli higher than Sachin when he objectively isn't? It's like hb is saying people refusing to rate Kohli higher only do so because of their Tendulkar fanboyism. SUch nonsense.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
It is but natural that the generation that grew up watching, idolizing Sachin consider Kohli, the upstart brat, as inferior to Sachin. Just wait a few years and we would see a lot more saying Kohli >>>> Tendulkar.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But he isn't better, not yet. Why expect people to rate Kohli higher than Sachin when he objectively isn't? It's like hb is saying people refusing to rate Kohli higher only do so because of their Tendulkar fanboyism. SUch nonsense.

Dude, read my posts properly.. I am saying there are a few who are willing to rate Kohli lesser just because others are rating him higher than Sachin... You may not want to believe it but I have instances in my own family here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is but natural that the generation that grew up watching, idolizing Sachin consider Kohli, the upstart brat, as inferior to Sachin. Just wait a few years and we would see a lot more saying Kohli >>>> Tendulkar.

True, that is what will happen during a generational transition... Heck, these guys want to put down even Dhoni coz he was becoming more famous than Sachin. Those are the extreme Sachin fanboys, I know, but there are quite a few of them and that is my point.