• KP

18 25.00%
  • sanga

54 75.00%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pietersen vs Sangakkara

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    K.P for me, can destroy any attack anywhere and Sanga just benefits massively for some of those run fests in Sri Lanka. Both ATG batsmen though
    KP doesn't even average 50 in a period where there are so many players with that achievement. If Sanga benefits massively from run fests then I hope you are applying the same standards to Sri Lankan bowlers...must be implying that Murali is a lot better than Warne (better record and had to play half his matches in run and Vaas is much better than Anderson.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Completely different players. Barely any point comparing them really.

Banned
    You can bring out an innings here and there all you want. Hughes scored 2 hundreds against Steyn and co in 1 test in RSA, Sehwag smashed Pollock and Ntini on debut in RSA, Tamim Iqbal fought fire with fire against Anderson in full cry in England....list goes on...you could bring out the odd innings for anyone....the point is Jayawardene, Sehwag and Sanga are three 3 biggest FTBD of this generation. sanga in particular relishes a no pressure situation...scoring 100s in dead rubbers or when the series cannot be won or drawn (England for example...by the time he got his 100 SL had no hope of drawing the series).......Sehwag smashed Pak in Pak even better than Sanga....means nothing as Pak tests of late have all been 700 vs 700 borefests. And sanga better than Kp gainst spin? What???? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. Kp toyed with murali and warne....sanga struggles against harbhajan in India....case closed.

Banned
    Screw averages. Who cares if Pietersen doesn't average 50...ive considered it a stupid, arbitrary measure of greatness anyway.
    Pietersen, over the last 8 years or so has played too many special, match turning innings to even count. He's taken apart McGrath, Warne, Murali, Steyn , four of the greatest bowlers of all time in awe inspiring fashion and changed the course of matches more often than any other batsman this generation. He's a lot like Waqar in the sense that he's not as consistent as others like Sanga. At his peak , Sanga, or any other batsman for that matter, would struggle to bring what he does to the team, like demolishing Steyn at Headingley, or single-handedly set up a winning position on an absolute bunsen (he had no right getting that many runs at that pace). Even in spinning conditions, Pietersen has played some absolute stunners and there's very little to choose between them. Like Waqar though, when it goes wrong for him, like it did in the UAE, it looks awful. But more often than not, he gets it right.

I adore Sanga and he's a definite ATG but he just has never quite done THAT we'll against really good bowlers in alien conditions, apart from a couple of great knocks like the Hobart epic and the recent hundred in SA. He's no Sehwag or Mahela, for certain, and is definitely a very good overseas batsman, but KP's proved it more often against far better bowlers in my opinion. Whether that makes him a better batsman or not is debatable.

I pick Pietersen, but I certainly wouldn't be outraged if someone picked Sangakkara. None of them, is "streets ahead" of the other, that's for sure

U19 Debutant
    A lot of KP's 'great' innings have come on flat wickets and infact i have seen him look like a wally when faced with lateral movement in the shape of either swing or spin:

Oval 2005 vs Aus: oval is always flat as a pancake, flattest test wicket in Eng by a stretch-not to mention the guy was given about 8 second lives during that innings- could have been out many times

Adelaide 2006: Adelaide- against flattest wicket in Aus

Mohali 2008: very flat wicket again, even flintoff as declining batsmen looked in good nick on that wicket

Adelaide 2010- again, flattest wicket in Aus and batting during the best conditions- only started turing on 2nd session on day 4, by which time he got out to xavier doherty

Mumbai 2012: although indian batsmen played really badly on this track, I would attribute that to poor batting by indians and excellent left arm spin from Monty. I think track was also quite flat- not a rank turner by any means- hence indian spinners couldnt turn it in either innings
    Last edited by dhillon28; 14-03-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    All Time Test XI:

Openers: S.Gavaskar V.Sehwag Middle Order: V.Richards S.Tendulkar B.Lara All Rounders: G.Sobers I Khan (C) WK: A.Gilchrist Bowlers: W.Akram M.Marshall M.Muralitharan

All Time ODI XI:

WK: A.Gilchrist S.Tendulkar V.Richards R. Ponting M. Dhoni M. Bevan Allrounder: K.Dev Bowlers: W.Akram J. Garner M.Muralitharan G. McGrath

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    KP doesn't even average 50 in a period where there are so many players with that achievement. If Sanga benefits massively from run fests then I hope you are applying the same standards to Sri Lankan bowlers...must be implying that Murali is a lot better than Warne (better record and had to play half his matches in run and Vaas is much better than Anderson.
    yes exactly right. It is this flipside that bigoted observers often overlook when they use the flat track therefore high average means nothing argument. If they were to apply their own argument consistently and logically, they would find that Kapil Dev and Javagal Srinath should be considered the two best seamers of all time....which they obviously are not.

Has anyone ever considered Sangakarra and Jayawardene's average on the basis of home and away results? Has anyone ever considered Ricky Ponting's average on the basis of home and away results? If you break it down this way- you will find that Sangakarra's performance is not too different to Ponting's IIRC.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dhillon28 View Post

Has anyone ever considered Sangakarra and Jayawardene's average on the basis of home and away results? Has anyone ever considered Ricky Ponting's average on the basis of home and away results? If you break it down this way- you will find that Sangakarra's performance is not too different to Ponting's IIRC.
    No way. Ponting Had a brilliant record everywhere except India. Sanga record is nowhere near as rounded.

Mumbai 2012: although indian batsmen played really badly on this track, I would attribute that to poor batting by indians and excellent left arm spin from Monty. I think track was also quite flat- not a rank turner by any means- hence indian spinners couldnt turn it in either innings
    The Indian spinners didn't bowl that we'll, but the ball definitely turned. Don't know what test match you were watching if you think it was a road.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    No way. Ponting Had a brilliant record everywhere except India. Sanga record is nowhere near as rounded.
    Don't think so my friend. see below

Michael Jeh : Where does Sangakkara sit in the 10000 Club? | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    The Indian spinners didn't bowl that we'll, but the ball definitely turned. Don't know what test match you were watching if you think it was a road.
    I was watching the match where 2 batsmen other than KP got 120+ scores and Ashwin got 65.

Banned
    That article proves nothing. All it states is that Sanga averages 47 overseas to Ponting's 45. What I said was that Ponting has a much better rounded record overseas, which he does. Sanga averages in the 30s in England, South Africa, West indies and surprisingly, India.
    Ponting has done brilliantly everywhere except India, where his early mental block against Harbhajan caused him to struggle. He averages well over 40 everywhere else.. It's just his pathetic India record that brings his overseas average down. I'm not saying the fact that he has a better rounded record makes him better than Sanga (there are other reasons) but there you go
    I was watching the match where 2 batsmen other than KP got 120+ scores and Ashwin got 65.
    So? it's not possible for more than one batsman to play well on a difficult pitch? Your arguments make no sense.

Note: accidentally voted for Sanga. FFS
    Last edited by Satyanash89; 14-03-2013 at 07:07 AM.

I can't believe Sanga is even being compared to Pieterson.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    This is why I hate comparison threads.

They both suck when compared to Ross Taylor ftr. All his test hundreds have come with at least two wickets down for under 100 on the scoreboard, and I can conclusively prove Sanga and KP both average 25 when I orient the goalposts in a certain way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I wasn't watching the match, I just read a cricinfo scoreboard.
    Well glad we cleared that up.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This is why I hate comparison threads.

They both suck when compared to Ross Taylor ftr. All his test hundreds have come with at least two wickets down for under 100 on the scoreboard, and I can conclusively prove Sanga and KP both average 25 when I orient the goalposts in a certain way.
    I don't know what I hate more, comparison threads or the default "I hate comparison threads, stats suck blah" post

Right so Sanga has become underrated again it seems. I will note this down.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information