• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen vs Sangakkara

better batsman tests

• Total voters

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
KP doesn't even average 50 in a period where there are so many players with that achievement. If Sanga benefits massively from run fests then I hope you are applying the same standards to Sri Lankan bowlers...must be implying that Murali is a lot better than Warne (better record and had to play half his matches in run and Vaas is much better than Anderson.
yes exactly right. It is this flipside that bigoted observers often overlook when they use the flat track therefore high average means nothing argument. If they were to apply their own argument consistently and logically, they would find that Kapil Dev and Javagal Srinath should be considered the two best seamers of all time....which they obviously are not.

Has anyone ever considered Sangakarra and Jayawardene's average on the basis of home and away results? Has anyone ever considered Ricky Ponting's average on the basis of home and away results? If you break it down this way- you will find that Sangakarra's performance is not too different to Ponting's IIRC.

Satyanash89

Banned
Has anyone ever considered Sangakarra and Jayawardene's average on the basis of home and away results? Has anyone ever considered Ricky Ponting's average on the basis of home and away results? If you break it down this way- you will find that Sangakarra's performance is not too different to Ponting's IIRC.
No way. Ponting Had a brilliant record everywhere except India. Sanga record is nowhere near as rounded.

Mumbai 2012: although indian batsmen played really badly on this track, I would attribute that to poor batting by indians and excellent left arm spin from Monty. I think track was also quite flat- not a rank turner by any means- hence indian spinners couldnt turn it in either innings
The Indian spinners didn't bowl that we'll, but the ball definitely turned. Don't know what test match you were watching if you think it was a road.

Satyanash89

Banned
That article proves nothing. All it states is that Sanga averages 47 overseas to Ponting's 45. What I said was that Ponting has a much better rounded record overseas, which he does. Sanga averages in the 30s in England, South Africa, West indies and surprisingly, India.
Ponting has done brilliantly everywhere except India, where his early mental block against Harbhajan caused him to struggle. He averages well over 40 everywhere else.. It's just his pathetic India record that brings his overseas average down. I'm not saying the fact that he has a better rounded record makes him better than Sanga (there are other reasons) but there you go
I was watching the match where 2 batsmen other than KP got 120+ scores and Ashwin got 65.
So? it's not possible for more than one batsman to play well on a difficult pitch? Your arguments make no sense.

Note: accidentally voted for Sanga. FFS :(

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
This is why I hate comparison threads.

They both suck when compared to Ross Taylor ftr. All his test hundreds have come with at least two wickets down for under 100 on the scoreboard, and I can conclusively prove Sanga and KP both average 25 when I orient the goalposts in a certain way.

Satyanash89

Banned
This is why I hate comparison threads.

They both suck when compared to Ross Taylor ftr. All his test hundreds have come with at least two wickets down for under 100 on the scoreboard, and I can conclusively prove Sanga and KP both average 25 when I orient the goalposts in a certain way.
I don't know what I hate more, comparison threads or the default "I hate comparison threads, stats suck blah" post

Teja.

Global Moderator
This comparison came up a couple of years ago actually when one bloke raised it and was thoroughly lambasted by all and sundry. Can't believe it's turned into to a legitimately big support base by now.

Sanga ahead by a pretty ****ing ridiculous amount*, in my opinion. and before someone psuedo-strawmans me, It's not because KP doesn't average 50 that I don't consider him in Sanga's league.

* - By which I mean, while KP is no doubt a fine batsman, I don't really see a comparison.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I can't help but feel that the timing of this thread is slightly disingenuous as well. Alright, those two tons may not have been the most difficult of all time and you could certainly make the case that it doesn't enhance Sangs's standing as a batsman at all, but then neither does it detract from it.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This comparison came up a couple of years ago actually when one bloke raised it and was thoroughly lambasted by all and sundry. Can't believe it's turned into to a legitimately big support base by now.

Sanga ahead by a pretty ****ing ridiculous amount*, in my opinion. and before someone psuedo-strawmans me, It's not because KP doesn't average 50 that I don't consider him in Sanga's league.

* - By which I mean, while KP is no doubt a fine batsman, I don't really see a comparison.
Nah, it's not really a legit comparison now even. The cult of KP is always that his fans are very vocal, but the poll suggests it's fairly comfortable.

Sanga actually kept wicket for 40 matches too, which he averaged over 15 less than his career average. He averages 68 without 'keeping. That's preety good, even with easy runs.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha holy ****, I didnt even look at the poll. From the comments just assumed KP was dominating it. Felt that after KP played that knock against India (won test innigns of the year in cricinfo awards) it was being skewed towards him. Poll is hugely in favour of Sanga.

Not so underrated after all I guess.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha holy ****, I didnt even look at the poll. From the comments just assumed KP was dominating it. Felt that after KP played that knock against India (won test innigns of the year in cricinfo awards) it was being skewed towards him. Poll is hugely in favour of Sanga.

Not so underrated after all I guess.
Haha yeah I was surprised after I voted too. I was actually going to make a post a bit like Teja's whinging about Sangakkara being so under-rated here but after I saw the poll results I felt like a dickhead and didn't bother.