Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You life will officially be over when.....

International Captain

You life will officially be over when.....

This is mainly for the middle-aged and beyond. Most people who have already reached a certain age will know that as you get older you see people who were always around as you were growing up start to die and it leaves a little hole in your childhood memories. There's also the fact of starting to contemplate your own mortality (except SJS who will never die).
    It doesn't only apply to cricketers of course but this is a cricket forum so the demise of which cricketer do you think will hit you hardest?

The recent deaths of Tony Greig and Christopher Martin-Jenkins came close for me, but I think if I manage to outlive Clive Lloyd his demise will be a particular sad day. As a fan of Kent and England the passing of Derek Underwood and Alan Knott would also be very solemn moments.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Not quite the same thing, but it made me feel a bit ancient when guys I remember as players started retiring from umpiring (such as David Shepherd and Merv Kitchen). To answer your question, it would be the older players who were in the England team when I started following cricket - Boycott, Brearley, Taylor and those you've mentioned. I've already seen off a few like Graham Roope and Bob Woolmer, as well as Greig. I'm too close in age to the next generation (Gower, Gatting, Botham) to be confident of outliving them.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Imran's demise will hit me hardest .....would mark the end of an era and the end of the hero of so many childhood memories
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

:-o
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Weirdly enough it'll probably be a couple of batsman who'd retired before I was even born: Tom Graveney and Ted Dexter. They're the last of the golden generation of English batsmen who debuted in the 50s, with Messrs Cowdrey, May & Barrington all having departed this world way too early.

They've always been there throughout my cricket watching career; extant links to an earlier age, if you like. When Long Tom & Lord Ted raise their bats for a final time it'll feel like an era has slipped into the history books.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Imran's loss would the hardest for me. I have always admired him not just as a great cricketer but also as a great man. To me he is one of the only cricketers' whose greatness has transcended cricket. In fact probably the only cricketer.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 12-03-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    When he walks from John O'Groats to Land's End we'll talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

U19 Debutant
    Nawab of Pataudi's loss has been a big one..He taught India how to win, play aggressive but with dignity..Kapil Dev and SRT first and last hero..I might feel sad for Steve Waugh as well for the charity he has done ...he did not have to
    Last edited by doesitmatter; 12-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    SRT? He's not even 40. Unless you're in your teens, there's a reasonable chance he'll outlive you.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

U19 Debutant
    Yama can call anyone anyday

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Weirdly enough it'll probably be a couple of batsman who'd retired before I was even born: Tom Graveney and Ted Dexter. They're the last of the golden generation of English batsmen who debuted in the 50s, with Messrs Cowdrey, May & Barrington all having departed this world way too early.

They've always been there throughout my cricket watching career; extant links to an earlier age, if you like. When Long Tom & Lord Ted raise their bats for a final time it'll feel like an era has slipped into the history books.
    Agree with this, particularly Long Tom - delightful man, though no shrinking violet in his time - I believe he and Mrs Graveney have recently moved into sheltered accomodation, so he's clearly not at his best, though he is 85 - sobering thought that his favourite nephew, young David, is 60 now, though on the plus side David's Dad, Tom's older brother Ken, is still with us

Personally it will also be a bad day when my greatest childhood hero leaves us, Farokh Engineer

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Keith Miller.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    SRT? He's not even 40. Unless you're in your teens, there's a reasonable chance he'll outlive you.
    I'm willing to accept this.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

International Debutant
    Probably someone from the Chappell teams of the mid 70s. Though of all the cricketers who have joined the great majority the only one I remember where I was when I heard about it is Bradman. Lining up in a queue in a blue collar diner in Hume. They had the radio playing and when I heard the reaction drew a smile a shrug and a nod before I regained my passive features. I knew he wasn't a sentimental chap so I just kept the memory in honour of his passing. The little diner is a bit of a dive but the staff were friendly and made a good coffee all the same.

Border for me. First childhood cricketing hero.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information