• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You life will officially be over when.....

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is mainly for the middle-aged and beyond. Most people who have already reached a certain age will know that as you get older you see people who were always around as you were growing up start to die and it leaves a little hole in your childhood memories. There's also the fact of starting to contemplate your own mortality (except SJS who will never die).
It doesn't only apply to cricketers of course but this is a cricket forum :mellow: so the demise of which cricketer do you think will hit you hardest?

The recent deaths of Tony Greig and Christopher Martin-Jenkins came close for me, but I think if I manage to outlive Clive Lloyd his demise will be a particular sad day. As a fan of Kent and England the passing of Derek Underwood and Alan Knott would also be very solemn moments.

stumpski

International Captain
Not quite the same thing, but it made me feel a bit ancient when guys I remember as players started retiring from umpiring (such as David Shepherd and Merv Kitchen). To answer your question, it would be the older players who were in the England team when I started following cricket - Boycott, Brearley, Taylor and those you've mentioned. I've already seen off a few like Graham Roope and Bob Woolmer, as well as Greig. I'm too close in age to the next generation (Gower, Gatting, Botham) to be confident of outliving them. :dry:

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran's demise will hit me hardest .....would mark the end of an era and the end of the hero of so many childhood memories :(

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Weirdly enough it'll probably be a couple of batsman who'd retired before I was even born: Tom Graveney and Ted Dexter. They're the last of the golden generation of English batsmen who debuted in the 50s, with Messrs Cowdrey, May & Barrington all having departed this world way too early. :(

They've always been there throughout my cricket watching career; extant links to an earlier age, if you like. When Long Tom & Lord Ted raise their bats for a final time it'll feel like an era has slipped into the history books.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Imran's loss would the hardest for me. I have always admired him not just as a great cricketer but also as a great man. To me he is one of the only cricketers' whose greatness has transcended cricket. In fact probably the only cricketer.

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Nawab of Pataudi's loss has been a big one..He taught India how to win, play aggressive but with dignity..Kapil Dev and SRT first and last hero..I might feel sad for Steve Waugh as well for the charity he has done ...he did not have to

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Weirdly enough it'll probably be a couple of batsman who'd retired before I was even born: Tom Graveney and Ted Dexter. They're the last of the golden generation of English batsmen who debuted in the 50s, with Messrs Cowdrey, May & Barrington all having departed this world way too early. :(

They've always been there throughout my cricket watching career; extant links to an earlier age, if you like. When Long Tom & Lord Ted raise their bats for a final time it'll feel like an era has slipped into the history books.
Agree with this, particularly Long Tom - delightful man, though no shrinking violet in his time - I believe he and Mrs Graveney have recently moved into sheltered accomodation, so he's clearly not at his best, though he is 85 - sobering thought that his favourite nephew, young David, is 60 now, though on the plus side David's Dad, Tom's older brother Ken, is still with us

Personally it will also be a bad day when my greatest childhood hero leaves us, Farokh Engineer

the big bambino

International Captain
Probably someone from the Chappell teams of the mid 70s. Though of all the cricketers who have joined the great majority the only one I remember where I was when I heard about it is Bradman. Lining up in a queue in a blue collar diner in Hume. They had the radio playing and when I heard the reaction drew a smile a shrug and a nod before I regained my passive features. I knew he wasn't a sentimental chap so I just kept the memory in honour of his passing. The little diner is a bit of a dive but the staff were friendly and made a good coffee all the same.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Border for me. First childhood cricketing hero.
Huh.

Don't get me wrong, an awful lot to admire about AB & am a fan myself, but I'm surprised an Indian-affiliated Victorian would have an NSW-born QLDer as his hero instead of (say) Kapil Dev or (racks brain for decent Vics who were contemporaries of AB, fails) Merv Hughes.

archie mac

International Coach
Richie Beaud, he has been on TV since I can remember and has the same birthday as me. Bradman was also a big loss. The three heroes from my childhood, Greg Chappell, Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee