• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You life will officially be over when.....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Huh.

Don't get me wrong, an awful lot to admire about AB & am a fan myself, but I'm surprised an Indian-affiliated Victorian would have an NSW-born QLDer as his hero instead of (say) Kapil Dev or (racks brain for decent Vics who were contemporaries of AB, fails) Merv Hughes.
You're over-complicating this a tad.

I was 5 years old watching cricket on channel 9. Border was the Australian cricket captain and best batsman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

I was 5 years old watching cricket on channel 9. Border was the Australian cricket captain and best batsman.
Well that stopped me farting in church.

At what age did you rat out the nation of your birth then, Quisling? :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

So were you an Australian cricket fan as a kid then?

If so, what made you decide not to be?

Not trying to be a dick - as you know, my loyalties haven't always exactly been straightforward either. But that's why I'm interested.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i would have thought it was just because he saw Aus play more than India at that age. I know as a 6 or 7yo Essendon fan in Sydney, I saw a lot more of Tony Lockett than James Hird and......

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I thought he liked AB the individual/player and not the Aus team in general and why not, you get inspired in your life by various people so why not an Aussie..Muhammed Ali an American has inspired many Africans and beyond and him dying would be a big loss for many..

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Poor old Jono - why is it that the bloke who is clearly the nicest guy on the forum has every bastard taking a pop at him?

........... or have I just answered my own question?

Pothas

CMJ the first cricket related death to really hit me actually.

Although the person who made the first test century I ever saw live has been dead a long while.

Pothas

Yep, Trent Bridge 1998. Definetly not accepting any leather jackets that day.

Flintoff made his debut as well that game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not exactly original but they used to call him Audi in England after he scored 4 ducks in a row in the Birmingham league as a young pro on soft early season English wickets.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Tony Greig is probably the first really major name from my formative years of watching cricket to fall off the twig.

I recall feeling very sad when John Arlott (the best commentator I've heard) died and even more when Brian Johnston went. That was on a really cold, wet January day and that evening the radio had a special programme. Several notable names phoned in and I remember one (it might have been Vic Marks) saying "summer seems a long way away tonight" I knew what he meant.

Richie Benaud will be a real passing.

Amongst players - maybe John Snow, Clive Lloyd or John Edrich.

From my early days of watching Surrey (first in 1976) Robin Jackman and Intikhab Alam hold strong memories.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Tony Greig is probably the first really major name from my formative years of watching cricket to fall off the twig.

I recall feeling very sad when John Arlott (the best commentator I've heard) died and even more when Brian Johnston went. That was on a really cold, wet January day and that evening the radio had a special programme. Several notable names phoned in and I remember one (it might have been Vic Marks) saying "summer seems a long way away tonight" I knew what he meant.

From my early days of watching Surrey (first in 1976) Robin Jackman and Intikhab Alam hold strong memories.
Agreed. The passing of Benaud will be a dark day

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I remember a few years ago there were reports of John Edrich being very unwell and not expected to last very long. Happily those predictions turned out to be wrong, but I have no idea about his current state of health.

Greig's passing struck me, but at least I knew he was seriously ill. Whereas the death of Graham Dilley was a real shocker, as he was one of the first England cricketers to be the same age as me, give or take a year or so.

And the death of Bobby Moore seems even more untimely now than it did 20 years ago, which is saying something.

I'm not sure whose death would hit me hard nowadays. Should be Beefy I suppose.

fredfertang

Agree about Bobby Moore - wasn't too affected at the time, probably because the Grim Reaper had not long taken Robin Friday when he died, but it hits me now every time I see Mooro's teammates being interviewed

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

So were you an Australian cricket fan as a kid then?

If so, what made you decide not to be?

Not trying to be a dick - as you know, my loyalties haven't always exactly been straightforward either. But that's why I'm interested.
As a real young bloke all I remember is Australia vs. WI cricket (I'm talking 3-5 years old. I just remembered the players mainly and they stick today - Border one of my favourite cricketers and childhood hero, and Ambrose my favourite ever bowler. All I watched was stuff on Channel 9 then (not even sure there was another way to watch cricket in 1990-91).

Would have supported India in the 92 WC probably. All my Uncles had moved to Australia by then and I was close with them all. They supported India in the 1992 WC in Aust so I imagine I did from then on. It is not a clear memory however. Definitely supported India when they toured in late 1992 and Sachin became famous here with his Perth and Adelaide tons.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is a team of those who have passed away who bring back happy childhood memories.
A mixture of superstars and good honest County pros. It was the era when apart from the home Test Matches the main source of cricket on TV was the John Player Sunday League, the Benson & Hedges Cup and the Gillette cup.

I haven't included Graham Dilley, Malcolm Marshall or Sylvester Clarke as I was almost a man (and still haven't quite made it) by the time they emerged.

1. Brian Luckhurst
2. Roy Fredericks
3. Chris Balderstone
4. Basil D'Oliveira
5. Harry Pilling
6. Tony Greig
7. Ken Wadsworth
8. Keith Boyce
9. Phil Carrick
10.Paddy Clift
11.Barry Stead

12th Man Wasim Raja

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably someone from the Chappell teams of the mid 70s.
Been there done that haven't you.......David Hookes??

Anyway right now I'd say Benaud, but I don't think you can really answer this question until they've actually, you know.....gone. It surprised me how upset I was with the passing of Greig as I was never a fan at all............if you'd have asked me a year ago I would never have mentioned him in this context, but when it came down to it........was pretty devastated.

Reckon commentators have the edge on this too, they have their playing careers and then stay in contact so to speak. I mean who knows cricket without Benaud??? But only the select few would fondly remember him for his playing days.