• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

indian pace

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Yes you're right mavric.

If India had a penetrative pace attack simliar to (and perhaps even better) than what they fielded at this years World Cup, you would think they would be an absolutely formidable outfit to contend with.

masterblaster

International Captain
Thats okay,
its a good thread anyway.

We have a few good fast bowlers in India, but I think we really, desperately need someone like a Shane Bond, Makhaya Ntini or Shoaib Akhtar to really blow the hell out of the stumps and really strike fear in the batsman's eyes.

As many know, Mumbai quickie Munaf Patel has emerged, but I don't think he is as quick as everybody says he is. Apparently he just bowls in 140-145 kph, not the 150 + kph everybody was talking about. Still with just Agarkar hitting 140 kph sometimes, a guy who can bowl at around 145 kph will be quite handy.

There are a few decent bowlers around India. Irfan Pathan being one, give him time and im sure he will be a better prospect than Ashish Nehra (who really hasn't done anything of note yet).

Siddharth Trivedi is another good quickie who gets wickets consistently on the domestic circuit. Ofcourse Aavishkar Salvi is the pick of these bowlers, accurate, tall and getting some steep bounce, India need him to mature quickly so he can partner Zaheer and Agarkar.

There are a few good bowlers around India, and hopefully in a land of 1 billion we can find a few genuinely QUICK bowlers.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Nehra was a lot quicker in the World Cup.
Didn't he clock 149 km'hr in Bulawayo ?

He hasn't clocked over 140 in the tests in Australia -- is he still getting into the groove following injury?

deeps

International 12th Man
quiet a few bowlers bowl slower in test matches,compared to their one day matches... Probably coz they have 2 conserve more energy to bowl longer spells...

pathan looks a good prospect,if he can pick up another 5-10 km's of pace...he's around 130 atm, and that gives very little room for error... Two bowlers that bowl around that pace that are really good are glen mcgrath and shaun pollock..Both of whom are extremely accurate...Pathan doesn't have that sort of accuracy,and so needs to pick up some pace

Nehra looked really good in the World Cup...I'd give him some more time 2 work on his bowling...he looks a decent prospect...Zaheer used 2 b pretty quick...145ish if i recall...he doesn't seem2 bowl that quick nemore...perhaps going 4 accuracy?

salvi seemed much too slow for my liking...in the few overs i saw him bowl in the TVS cup final....

I liked wat i saw off tinu yohannen....but he seems out of the picture now...wat hpapened there?

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
I think the pace attack in future would consists of Khan, Munaf and Pathan with Salvi on the reserve bench.

I have a feeling that Nehra will fade away, Ajit will continue to blow hot and cold,would probably maintain a place in OD team.

It might not be a fearsom pace attck but certainly very decent.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Salvi has a bloody good first class record for a pace bowler in Indian conditions (avg 20 with a strike rate of 46).
I wouldn't rule him out yet -- certainly his performance for India A in the Caribbean - 29 wickets in 5 first class games marks him out as one to watch (once he recovers from injury of course) .

Nehra had better start performing -- otherwise he will be replaced by Munaf or his Delhi new ball partner Amit Bhandari who's been taking wickets quite consistently not only Delhi but for India A.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
warrioryohannan said:
I think the pace attack in future would consists of Khan, Munaf and Pathan with Salvi on the reserve bench.

I have a feeling that Nehra will fade away, Ajit will continue to blow hot and cold,would probably maintain a place in OD team.

It might not be a fearsom pace attck but certainly very decent.
Hmmm... interesting. So you think India wll have a three-pronged attack in the future? Surely only outside of India?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
A lot of bowlers clocked a lot faster in the World Cup then they've bowled either before or after it.

I'll leave you to make up your mind as to the cause for that!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hmmm... interesting. So you think India wll have a three-pronged attack in the future? Surely only outside of India?

Even now there are three pacers in the playing 11!!

Obviously the composition of the team is going to change when the team is playing on home turf.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
warrioryohannan said:
Even now there are three pacers in the playing 11!!

Obviously the composition of the team is going to change when the team is playing on home turf.
When I said 'in the future' I meant would they still have a 3-pronged attack. It would be interesting to see which of the 3 seamers misses out on home soil if they do indeed establish themselves as you have suggested they may.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
jamesryfler said:

He hasn't clocked over 140 in the tests in Australia -- is he still getting into the groove following injury?
Nehra touched 149.7 against Zimbabwe and was the 4th fastest behind Shoib,Lee, Bond. That too, he was consistently bowling over 147 in 2-3 overs against Andy. Andy had mentioned about nehra's lively pace later. After his shoulder surgery, thuis is his first test match series.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
masterblaster said:

As many know, Mumbai quickie Munaf Patel has emerged, but I don't think he is as quick as everybody says he is. Apparently he just bowls in 140-145 kph, not the 150 + kph everybody was talking about.
]
What I heard is Munaf can bowl(had bowled) over 150 km/hr and that's how he got noticed by the selectors and Sachin(now he is in Mumbai team ) and he is adviced to reduce his pace to concentrate on line and length.That's y it's 140-145 agnst NZ in a tri day match.

Still with just Agarkar hitting 140 kph sometimes, a guy who can bowl at around 145 kph will be quite handy.

Zaheer's max is 147 in WC. He can consistently bowl over 142.
Salvi still lacks penetration.Only the imitation of McGrath's running and attempt to get his line and legth are the plus points of Salvi,
There's another guy Sreesanth who imitates Dennis Lillee !!!!

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
A lot of bowlers clocked a lot faster in the World Cup then they've bowled either before or after it.

I'll leave you to make up your mind as to the cause for that!
Altitude ahh I cant spell.

yeah anyway the ball does travel through the air a lot quicker in high altitude area's like South Africa.

Just looking at golfing statistic's the players hit the ball a very long way in South Africa compaird to other area's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
salvi seemed much too slow for my liking...in the few overs i saw him bowl in the TVS cup final....

I liked wat i saw off tinu yohannen....but he seems out of the picture now...wat hpapened there?
So you liked Yohannan but didn't like Salvi?
Yohannan's top pace is about 130 kph. Salvi I haven't a clue about but I can't conceive he's much slower. Certainly it seems pretty sure he's far less accurate.
The reason Yohannan is not in the picture now is for the same reason that T. Kumaran and many other rubbish Indian seamers aren't - their lack of skill being exposed.

krkode

State Captain
Does India have any tall and strong fast bowlers? They all look feeble to me, with the exception of Zaheer Khan...

Look at the greatest fast bowlers of recent times: Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Younis, McGrath, Pollock. Every single one of them is built like a gorilla (a big one) and has arms like tree trunks (sort of...). Ajit Agarkar, Ashish Nehra, Balaji, these guys barely measure up. I've always maintained that the key to a great fast bowler is his training. You can ball fast, you can ball straight, but if you get tired after 1 over or you get injured after 5, you're of little use. Srinath was a big guy, but a lack of good training, probably, caused him to have shoulder trouble early on, which toned him down considerably.

Show me a 6'5" Indian fast bowler and I'll say he has potential to "strike fear in a batsman's heart." There's something about big men running up at you that makes you fear them. I think batsmen would subconsciously agree.

Craig

World Traveller
Then again darren Gough was an expection to your comments Krkode him being 5ft '11 and being England's best bowler for a number of years.

krkode

State Captain
Well, it's not *just* about the height. Gough was a well built fellow. Somewhat stocky, but well-built none-the-less. :P

Choora

State Regular
krkode said:
Well, it's not *just* about the height. Gough was a well built fellow. Somewhat stocky, but well-built none-the-less. :P
I think Kuruvilla was tall (well above 6 feet) and broad, but he wasn't much impressive and as such lost his way.

BTW, have you seen Munaf?? is he tall? how about his buit?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
krkode said:
Does India have any tall and strong fast bowlers? They all look feeble to me, with the exception of Zaheer Khan...

Look at the greatest fast bowlers of recent times: Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Younis, McGrath, Pollock. Every single one of them is built like a gorilla (a big one) and has arms like tree trunks (sort of...). Ajit Agarkar, Ashish Nehra, Balaji, these guys barely measure up. I've always maintained that the key to a great fast bowler is his training. You can ball fast, you can ball straight, but if you get tired after 1 over or you get injured after 5, you're of little use. Srinath was a big guy, but a lack of good training, probably, caused him to have shoulder trouble early on, which toned him down considerably.

Show me a 6'5" Indian fast bowler and I'll say he has potential to "strike fear in a batsman's heart." There's something about big men running up at you that makes you fear them. I think batsmen would subconsciously agree.
No decent batsman is scared of a bowler any more, there's too much protective equipment. The only injuries occur when you're unlucky enough to have it pierced, which a medium-pacer will do as easily and cause as much damage as a 95mph-er. Eg the recent Gibbs injury, inflicted by a ball of, IIRR, 131.something kph, from Drakes.
Just bowling fast simply doesn't work in cricket any more. That's why Mohammad Sami continues to be so ineffective in Tests. It's also why Australia and Sri Lanka had no trouble whatsoever with Shane Bond in their Test-series', and I don't doubt India would have been exactly the same had they had the chance - Bond escaped through injury, as Harmison has done against Sri Lanka. And he's another example.