• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rapprochement

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rapprochement

Interest in the Bodyline tour is as strong as ever, but in truth the next Ashes series lost little in comparison, even though it is seldom now recalled. In this feature Martin tells the story of the 1936/37 Tests

the big bambino

International Captain
I think Sutcliffe was past it and Hutton and Compton too young. I forget who (Wellings I think) called the non selection of Bowes and Paynter one of the worst bits of selectorship he'd seen. Add Larwood to those 2 and England may very well have won the series without bodyline. Most of all though the player they didn't need was Bradman. Australia's batting was vulnerable in this series and Eng may well have swept the series - but for the Don.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
'tis true that Sutcliffe would've been 42 by the time the first Test begun, but he had three excellent seasons for Yorkshire still to come, and he couldn't have been less effective than Fagg, Fishlock and Worthington

the big bambino

International Captain
True enough. He was a champion. I have a feeling that Bowes didn't make the tour bcos he and Allen had a strong dislike of each other. Saw the animosity btwn the 2 on a documentary about bodyline.

Copson was an interesting selection and on figures deserved his spot but a bout of injuries kept him from playing tests though he topped the fc averages. I've read newspaper accounts of the tour and they mentioned his ability to get lift and "fizz" from the wickets. An article from a friend, Easterbrook credited him with getting life even out of flat wickets so I think he could have handled Australian pitches. But you'd have to say an impartial selection process would have had Larwood and Bowes ahead of him. Even then Gover and Stephenson were unlucky. I'm a fan of the latter who seemed a real character.

Overall the batting let Eng down though you can imagine a line up of Wyatt, Barnett, Hardstaff, Hammond, Leyland and Paynter with a sigh of what could have been.

EDIT: Not to mention Sutcliffe :)

Last edited:

complan

Cricket Spectator
Yep, a great batsman Sutcliffe. I remember reading somewhere that his batting average never fell below 50 thoughout his Test career. It's a pity he started playing Tests so late (30ish).

L Trumper

State Regular
Yep, a great batsman Sutcliffe. I remember reading somewhere that his batting average never fell below 50 thoughout his Test career. It's a pity he started playing Tests so late (30ish).
Never fell below 60 let alone 50. He finished his career with his least batting average.