• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Championship Predictions

ThatCricketGuy

Cricket Spectator
Looking through the forum I couldn't see a thread on the County Championship season that will be starting in a matter of weeks. (Apologies if there is already a thread)

As a Leicestershire fan I would like a significant improvement on last year, some of our young players would have had time to mature over the off season. We've also signed Joe Burns as a replacement for Sarwan when he's away with Windies for a large part of the season.

Elsewhere in Div 2 I fancy Lancashire, Hampshire and Essex to be the main three fighting for the two promotion places.

In Div 1 I think Derbyshire will struggle, I just don't think they have the quality required to stay up in the big boys league.

My tip for the other relegation spot it Durham - not sure why, just got a sneaky feeling they will do poorly.

Nottinghamshire have got a good team but many will be away with the England team for much of the season, so for that reason I don't think they will be pushing for the title.

I'm backing Warwickshire to retain the title.

What does everyone else think?

mightymariner

U19 12th Man
Looking through the forum I couldn't see a thread on the County Championship season that will be starting in a matter of weeks. (Apologies if there is already a thread)

As a Leicestershire fan I would like a significant improvement on last year, some of our young players would have had time to mature over the off season. We've also signed Joe Burns as a replacement for Sarwan when he's away with Windies for a large part of the season.

Elsewhere in Div 2 I fancy Lancashire, Hampshire and Essex to be the main three fighting for the two promotion places.

In Div 1 I think Derbyshire will struggle, I just don't think they have the quality required to stay up in the big boys league.

My tip for the other relegation spot it Durham - not sure why, just got a sneaky feeling they will do poorly.

Nottinghamshire have got a good team but many will be away with the England team for much of the season, so for that reason I don't think they will be pushing for the title.

I'm backing Warwickshire to retain the title.

What does everyone else think?
I hope so, I'd be disappointed for us to finish off worse than what we did last year. If all else fails, at least we'll have our yearly win at home to Glamorgan.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah but neither did Worcs in 2011, and thinking about it Derbyshire didn't have the quality to get promoted in the first place this time last year, so er, dunno really

Think Kent are a good shout for promotion, they made bags of good signings nlast season and should have really pushed for it then.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Can see us finishing strongly if PAtterson keeps up his good form from last season, hopefully though we'll put som seaming wickets up because I feel out strength when you thin Bairstow and Root are going to be misisng a lot of the time will revolve around our bowlers more than most esp as it doesn't seem likely we're getting an overseas player.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yeah but neither did Worcs in 2011, and thinking about it Derbyshire didn't have the quality to get promoted in the first place this time last year, so er, dunno really

Think Kent are a good shout for promotion, they made bags of good signings nlast season and should have really pushed for it then.
Derbyshire are a decent team and are better than Worcs but the disparity between the two divisions keeps getting bigger. Most of the first division teams are pretty strong these days with few weak links. Young promising players(Harris, Brooks Taylor(lst yr)) coming through move from second division to first division clubs because they know they need to if they want to play for england. Good senior players(solanki, keedy) make the same move for money. Second division teams are reduced to bringing through youth team players and rejects on free transfers

Can see us finishing strongly if PAtterson keeps up his good form from last season, hopefully though we'll put som seaming wickets up because I feel out strength when you thin Bairstow and Root are going to be misisng a lot of the time will revolve around our bowlers more than most esp as it doesn't seem likely we're getting an overseas player.

Yorkshire seamers were the weakness last year if you ask me patterson aside. You've looked to rectify that with the signing of Brooks and Plunkett. Batting was strong but yeh Root and Bairstow involved with England and now Ballance with the Lions. McGrath retired. Now a lot rests on Jacques and Lyth who had a comeback season last year.

I think it might be a struggle for Yorkshire. I like the team but it's gonna be tough with all the England players coming and going. Really need solid seasons from Sidebottom, Brooks and the rest. One of the most talented squads in theory.

Personally I'm really excited by Somerset and Surrey.

Somerset have a load of young promising bowlers: Dibble, J Overton, C Overton, Gregory, Dockrell

and Surrey have added a bit of experience to their team but have some really good young players who are a year older. Ansari is in his final year at uni but I have real high hopes once he leaves. Burns scored good runs last year. And their fast bowling group is very good with a mixture of experience and youth.

They're probably the only team in county cricket with 4 guys capable of bowling 85mph+ regularly in Meaker, Dernbach, Edwards, and Dunn. Edwards and Dunn are still untested but exciting but there is plenty of other experience. Lewis, Linley, Tremlett. And of course Smith and Ponting.

I don't think either team has the experience yet to win the cc this season but in terms of future england prospects these are the two teams i'm really excited about.

theegyptian

Of course Gloucestershire are gonna struggle again but Klinger was a good signing for us bar him getting called upto the aussie team. Hope the young bowlers can continue to develop but none are particularly good. No realistic hope of promotion or success in lo cricket his year.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Yorkshire seamers were the weakness and Surrey have added a bit of experience to their team but have some really good young players who are a year older. Ansari is in his final year at uni but I have real high hopes once he leaves. Burns scored good runs last year. And their fast bowling group is very good with a mixture of experience and youth.

They're probably the only team in county cricket with 4 guys capable of bowling 85mph+ regularly in Meaker, Dernbach, Edwards, and Dunn. Edwards and Dunn are still untested but exciting but there is plenty of other experience. Lewis, Linley, Tremlett. And of course Smith and Ponting.
Edwards and Dunn both have very good potential - and if one comes through the seam attack will be very strong. If Tremlett is fit I think it's unlikely England will call on him and the attack could then be exceptional. Hopefully they'll keep him mainly for the 4 day games.

The Maynard situation really hit the batting - taking out two players - which, I think is why they went for Smith. Solanki is also a good pick up and could change the dressing room culture round quickly. Hopefull Davies and others will be in a better state of mind than they were by the middle of last season.

I agree about Burns - there were some very good signs last year. Not so certain regarding Ansari but happy to be proved wrong.

They might be one experienced batsman light of a real push.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has this thread changed name?

Anyway Somerset to win everything, 138 years of hurt, and all that.

Think Lyth, Hildreth and carberry will be best English bats

Brooks, Dockerell and palladino, best english bowlers.

In the end Somerset's success will depend on youngsters, if the likes of Gregory, Dockerell, Dibble, Meschede, the Overtons live up to potential it could be a golden time, if not, same ole. same ole.

If I had to put money on Champions, I'd go Notts, Kent and Lanky for promotion.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So is this the new County Championship thread, or what? I can't remember if there's rules.

Anyway Kabir Ali has picked up his first injury for the season, what a signing for lankys Physio that will be.

theegyptian

dunno. probably not the main county one. I'm sure you will set up an official one with loads of pictures of the great man.