• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me: The Shane Watson story

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So we can gather from this that the Australian selectors no longer consider Watson part of Australia's first test XI?

Thank **** for that.

adub

International Captain
Snow job

Never trust CA

He was boned
My thoughts as well. Good decision if it means he's no certainty to play the next test, but the 'who to make VC' question doesn't have a satisfactory answer at this stage.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Watto quotes below:

He would not buy into the argument that his working relationship with Clarke was dysfunctional.

“Michael and I have spent a lot of time together over the past 12 to 14 years and like you do with all people you have your ups and downs, but in the end Michael is doing the best job he possibly can as captain of Australia and I have been doing the best job I can to help the team,” Watson told The Australian.

“We are both working for the same thing and as part of the senior group in the team that is all you can ask for.”

Watson rejected claims he was forced to give up the job.

“I wasn’t pushed to stand down, this has been something I have been thinking about especially over the past few months,” he said. “I have had to consider what my role is within the team and in Test cricket I haven’t performed how I wanted to.

“My performances have been disappointing to myself and with two important Ashes series coming up I know how important it is for me to contribute to the team at my best and that is one factor behind me doing this, I want to be at my best.

Watson was diplomatic when asked about Howard today.

“Pat Howard’s comments didn’t promote the strength of support I know I have from the back room staff,” he said.

"I know that Mickey Arthur and the coaching staff support me as a player and a person and when I had the privilege of captaining Australia in the fourth Test I knew that was there and it was also there from the players.

“The support I got from the players was amazing, everything I asked of them they came together in support of me.

“To me that is important because the most important thing in a team environment is the support of the players.

“In the end Pat and I have had a lot of chat about those issues over the past couple of months and in the end we both want Australia to be the most successful team in the world and we are both on the same page with that.”

Watson said the reasons behind his decision were complex and could not be all traced back to the disciplinary action in Mohali.

“There’s a number of different factors,” he said. “Over the past few months I have asked myself a number of different questions about my role in the team and (being dropped ) certainly played a bit of a part but the main thing was that my performances haven’t been good enough in Test cricket and it was the right time to make sure I am doing the most I can to contribute to the team ahead of the Ashes.”

While he enjoyed captaining the side in the fourth Test he said that part of the reason for standing down was establishing a succession plan in a side sorely lacking in experience and leadership.

“Michael and I are basically the same age,” Watson said. “It’s important to have a plan for a future leader and that played a big part in my decision to step down.”

uvelocity

International Coach
the thing is that this is the problem with being hush hush and sweeping things under the carpet. if the **** is undermining the captain, and being a watto on the team, you sack the ****, not fiddle around with a homework ban and then make him captain the following week.

Howe_zat

Audio File
From KC

Legal documents associated with Mickey Arthur’s ludicrous AUD 4 million compensation claim against Cricket Australia are said to detail deeply felt emnity between Michael Clarke and Shane Watson. This is, apparently, news.

A fairly large proportion of the Australian population has always hated Michael Clarke, seeing him as an image-conscious metrosexual who’s been given an easy ride. An even greater proportion of the Australian population hates Shane Watson for being an image-conscious metrosexual who whinges a lot, throws away promising starts and who is forever getting injured. Being as both Clarke and Watson are Australians, OF COURSE each is going to hate the other.
good point