Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obscure non-cricket reasons resulting in players not able to play the match

Obscure non-cricket reasons resulting in players not able to play the match

As flibberty suggested, starting a thread to list incidents of players sitting out of test matches due to obscure non-cricket reasons..

And we have got one of the best to start with. Watson and Pattinson sitting out for not doing homework.

Didn't Hodge miss a T20I with a strained back from picking up his child? Pomersbach got plucked from the crowd to play in his place iirc.
    Andrew Symonds 143*

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    no.

he was attempting to put on his pants
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Chris Lewis once sat out a test for shaving his head.

Well, indirectly, he promptly got heatstroke as was forced to sit out the first test of our 1993 tour of the Windies.

Del Pringle (allegedly, etc) missed a test versus Pakistan in 1982 after a chair collapsed and effed his (admittedly already fragile) back.

My favourite tho is perhaps Ted Dexter, who somehow contrived to run himself over with his own Jag, breaking his leg in the process. The alleged involvement of the consumption of intoxicants canot be confirmed or denied.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    You couldn't make it up.

*/heraldsunmode*
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Nah, **** these blokes. Seriously. If one of them was Warne there's be blokes on here saying he should be carpeted. It's not that hard to perform a task you're set by the coach. You might not like it, but stiff ****.

And one of them is the vice captain ffs. Idiots.

Just shows, nothing good ever comes out of India.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Not cricket, but Santiago Canizares missed out on a major tournament (might have been athe 2002 World Cup) after severing a tendon in his foot by dropping a bottle of aftershave on it.

Dave Beasant did something similar, except he dropped a bottle of salad cream.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    former vancouver canucks defenceman sami salo missed a couple of games because he got bitten by the only poisonous snake in Finland while playing some golf.

Trevor Franklin was hit by a motorised luggage trolley at Heathrow during the 1986 tour of England, breaking both legs and ruling him out of much if not all of the tour.

Salman Butt missed loads of cricket just for trying to open an ice cream parlour, iirc
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Junaid came in the way of a door bloody drunkard!
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Arthur Dolphin fell off a chair and broke his wrist.

Ian Greig locked himself out of his house and broke his ankle trying to get in a window.

Matthew Hayden got attacked by a dog going out for a jog.

Jimmy Adams and Mark Boucher both sliced their hands cutting food. The latter made Andrew Hall keep wicket.

Don Topley got attacked by a spring-loaded letter slot, right on his fingers.

Bruce French got hit on the head at training from a spectator's throw, got hit by a car when he got to the hospital to get it checked out, and then bumped his head again on a light fitting after treatment.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Shane Warne missed a year of test cricket because he was so concerned about his physical appearance.

#mediapressureonmen

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Bruce French got hit on the head at training from a spectator's throw, got hit by a car when he got to the hospital to get it checked out, and then bumped his head again on a light fitting after treatment.
    Sorry for his plight but couldnt stop laughing reading this. Such misfortune. Did this happen for true?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information