Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Single biggest contributing factor to Australia's demise?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Preoccupation with t20 cricket e.g. Big bash and IPL contracts

3 8.11%
  • Poor management by ACB e.g not backing certain players/poor team selections/overall poor management

10 27.03%
  • Losing Mcgrath and Warne simultaneously i.e. two of the greatest ever bowlers to have played

12 32.43%
  • Failure of old selection comittee to groom young ready made replacements

12 32.43%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What has been the single biggest contributing factor to Australia's demise?

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Sept 15, Australia will be competent again.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Poll lacks 'They don't have as many gun players as before' option. The transition phase theory is such bollocks, it's not like any team has a right to be ranked at a certain place.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    I sort of get the Katich and Hodge arguments, but both these guys were fringe Australian players WHEN THEY WERE IN THEIR PRIME. That was ten years ago now.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Just read through the thread, PEWS has been excellent. This thread should be a must read for anyone posting about Australian selection, especially Victorians.

U19 Debutant
    Two cricinfo articles relevant to current discussion:

Matt Cleary : The worst Australians since the last lot | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Numbers Game: Australia's gaping hole at No. 3 | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Still can't believe that since 2010 Australia has had a lower batting average at no.3 than Bangladesh!!
    All Time Test XI:

Openers: S.Gavaskar V.Sehwag Middle Order: V.Richards S.Tendulkar B.Lara All Rounders: G.Sobers I Khan (C) WK: A.Gilchrist Bowlers: W.Akram M.Marshall M.Muralitharan

All Time ODI XI:

WK: A.Gilchrist S.Tendulkar V.Richards R. Ponting M. Dhoni M. Bevan Allrounder: K.Dev Bowlers: W.Akram J. Garner M.Muralitharan G. McGrath

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Hodge has retired from first class cricket and wasn't the world saver people make him out to be. Has big technical flaws on wickets with any life in them but cashes in on roads.
    God, thank you.

My thoughts on this topic are well-documented.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Has to be the batting. I'd even say someone like Andrew Symonds was pivotal in the batting going south, after he was booted out we were weaker, and we just spent 2 years on him and he was coming really good after the MCG 06 test. 2009 and he is gone, he was becoming destructive at #6. We got Marcus North as a replacement, and that was just abysmal. Jacques is the other, injured and never played again. in that one year 2009, it all changed. We had bowlers, we still have bowlers. By end of 2009 We lost Hayden, Symonds, MacGill and Hogg, and began to enter life with Watson opening, which I think has stuffed the team around ever since that 3rd Ashes 09 test.

2009 is it for me, the year it dawned on us that the cattle in shield cricket just wasnt up it scratch, Hughes came and went, North, McDonald, all tired and failed. Hodge shouldve played again in that year, but didnt happen. Johnson had zero idea in england, it wasnt expected. Tough tough year that was.
    Last edited by robelinda; 09-03-2013 at 05:26 AM.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    lack of hammocks
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    lack of hammocks
    Business hammocks?? why didn't I think of that. LOL.

#hammockdistrict #maryannshammocks

Cricket Spectator
    There has been a Lack of Quality players coming through. Fast Bowler are starting to come through now. If Australia can keep some of the young Bowlers on the field, the attack should be OK.

Tasmania has won the last 2 Shefield Shields; Tasmania has 500,000 people (includes a lot of Retirees) to draw on. That is maybe twice resources that the top Club sides in Sydney '/ Melbourne would have.

Tasmania won the shield because the other [B]state sides[\B] have fallen below Tasmania's level, not because Tasmania has been producing Top Quality players. The 2 best batsmen Tasmania has produced are Ponting and Boon (15 + years ago), They have not produced any Quality Batsmen in the last 15 years but they have been winning the Sheffield Shield !!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Didn't know Sheffield Shield was every 4 years like the Olympics and major World Cups.

Looking forward to Tassies tilt at 3 in a row in 2014-15.

Ffs
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

I like MartinB I THINK HE CAN GO PLACES

A PARK IN BOTSWANA! - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

The whole 'transition phase' thing relied on a couple of players coming good.... which never really happened.

We're just not good enough. Hard to accept when our memories of holding the best batting stock of any country make it seem as though that was the case only a year ago. Our constant referral to the golden period is almost unproductive, like we can't accept that there is no light at the end of the 'transition' tunnell, there is no Langer/Ponting/Hayden/Gilchrist right over that hill waiting to reclaim our rightful place as the best

Australian cricket fans are enamored with a corpse, and after six years still on the 'denial' stage of grief.

Its just not happening fellas, time to sit back, order a pizza and watch Clarke and Pattinson protect the last bastion of Australian cricketing pride. Let go of the disappointment.
    Last edited by Noppe; 09-03-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Australia have never been the same since JP Duminy arse ****ed them at the MCG Boxing Day test of 2008. There is still tissue damage.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information