• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hamish Rutherford

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
What a performance so far, a century on debut against the 2nd best pace attack in the world. The way he bats reminds me of Sehwag i.e. minimal Footwork, great hand eye coordination, high strike rate (although this may only be unique to this innings) and severe on anything outside off stump. Could this be the beginning of NZ reasserting themselves as a respectable test match nation capable of challenging any team? Early days yet, but all I can say is world cricket needs its top 8 teams to all be competitive.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What a performance so far, a century on debut against the 2nd best pace attack in the world. The way he bats reminds me of Sehwag i.e. minimal Footwork, great hand eye coordination, high strike rate (although this may only be unique to this innings) and severe on anything outside off stump. Could this be the beginning of NZ reasserting themselves as a respectable test match nation capable of challenging any team? Early days yet, but all I can say is world cricket needs its top 8 teams to all be competitive.
It's not, Rutherford has generally tended to score his runs at a strike rate of about 70 in first class cricket.

Now scored more runs than Ken did in his first 7 tests combined.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Rutherford is a god among men and we can count ourselves lucky that he has deigned to descend to earth to walk amongst us mere mortals.

There is no way this could go Matthew Sinclair wrong.

Chubb

International Regular
There'll be a question mark around whether he can score "ugly" runs. He has a record which is a bit hot and cold. That said, it is the kind of thing a class player can teach themselves, and there's no reason not to be confident for the future.

Blain

U19 Captain
Still lacks in a couple areas, but times the leather off the ball and is naturally aggressive without being a slogger. That makes him vulnarable early on, but when he gets in seems to bat for long periods.

Very promising!! Especially against this good attack.

Flem274*

123/5
As Kippax said, still big questions over his defensive technique imo, but he's started perfectly against a good attack and long may it continue.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just on Hamishes: although nominally a Scots name, I've never actually met any Scottish blokes (or birds) called Hamish, but pretty much every other NZder seems to be one.

All these 8th generation deracinated Sweaties in Otago have a lot to answer for...

ganeshran

International Debutant
Just on Hamishes: although nominally a Scots name, I've never actually met any Scottish blokes (or birds) called Hamish, but pretty much every other NZder seems to be one.

All these 8th generation deracinated Sweaties in Otago have a lot to answer for...
:laugh:

ThatCricketGuy

Cricket Spectator
He certaintly gave England a big reality check that NZ are going to be no pushovers in this test series. But I think it's so hard to predict what the future will hold for the opener. Apart from glancing over his stats I don't know a lot about him, and for this reason only time will tell from my point of view. Such a cliche but true. I think the verdict on Rutherford will come in a months time when this series is done and dusted.