• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne shouldn't be seen or heard

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne shouldn't be seen or heard

I wholeheartedly agree with this article. He has been suspended from cricket and this should include commentary. I think he is too dumb to understand what his suspension means, like he was too dumb to understand what is a banned drug and what is a legal drug. He is treating his suspension like a holiday rather than a suspension. Pictures of him bowling in the indoor nets with Jenner and Healy just shows how much this man does not understand what he is doing. If an Olympic swimmer is banned the only place they are allowed to swim is in their backyard pool, not in a public pool with former Olympic swimmers helping them train.

I say 'When you're banned - you're banned'.

Australian's want to ban any drug cheat as long as it is not one of their own sporting heros.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I agree that it is stupid to show it on TV but how can you stop a private citizen hiring some nets and bowling with his mates which is effectively what Warne is doing. Just because his mates are former test cricketers doesn't change the fact. If he had been banned for life, would you still feel the same?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perhaps I am being a little critical here, I am more upset with the fact he is commentating and a guy I respect like 'Heals' is helping him out. But I still think it was very wrong to show it on t.v.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Perhaps I am being a little critical here, I am more upset with the fact he is commentating and a guy I respect like 'Heals' is helping him out. But I still think it was very wrong to show it on t.v.
I agree. It should not have been stuck in the faces of everyone, including Stuart MacGIll. Although I can see that a lot of people would be interested in seeing his progress back to cricket.

Heals and Warnie are great mates and mates help each other out.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
You know the other week I heard him say "Yeah, I did the wrong thing, and Im paying for it."

I was a bit :O, at Warnie showing maturity. It was good of him though ;)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
there are alot of people inetersed in warnes progress - which was why it was shown on TV. nothing wrong with that

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah i must admit Warne's commentry drives me up the wall and back. It so annoying and having listening to his biased waffle.

If a player cant understand all the long latin names then if they go to the doctor take it with them and let them read it or even look on the side of the box with what it contains and with it says on the list of what it contains.

But Warne doesnt have the intellengce to do it.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Yeah i must admit Warne's commentry drives me up the wall and back. It so annoying and having listening to his biased waffle.

If a player cant understand all the long latin names then if they go to the doctor take it with them and let them read it or even look on the side of the box with what it contains and with it says on the list of what it contains.

But Warne doesnt have the intellengce to do it.
I agree with the point in that warne should not be commentating anyway, but i actually thought warnies commentating was good aside from that.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
i agree that warne shouldnt be commentating , but as for bowling he can hire nets and bowl with his mates, the fact that they showed it on tv was just a media ploy.

i think he has suffered enough missing the world cup and 12 months worth of cricket

i bet if he comes back and takes 10 wickets in his first test everyone will be saying we luv ya warne.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really cannot see what much of the fuss is about.

Commentating isn't cricket (although many commentators think that it is), Warney's done television work before and I think that he does it quite well.

Regarding the 'bowling in the nets' thing, there is no way that is covered by any suspension, although the story writer does make a good point when he compares the situation to horse-racing.

Still, the terms of the suspension should have been stipulated up front.

It always amuses me when tired old hacks (like Ray Chesterton) get up on their high horse and pontificate on moral issues.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I certainly couldnt have imagined Hansie taking up the commentators mike after he was banned...

I dont think Warnie should be earning money from cricket, definitely not. I would keep a low profile if i were him...

He should just let the ball do the talking when he comes back...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
I certainly couldnt have imagined Hansie taking up the commentators mike after he was banned...

I dont think Warnie should be earning money from cricket, definitely not. I would keep a low profile if i were him...

He should just let the ball do the talking when he comes back...
There's a slight difference regarding the severity of the actual offence. I'll grant you that Warne tends to find controversy in the most unusual places and that he was walking a tightrope, though.

I would certainly agree with the sentiments of your second and third points, though. Head down, crawl back under his stone and try to come back a better person - and bowler.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I agree with Eddie. Commentating is not cricket - the guy cannot play any form of competitive cricket, I don't see what either his commentating or rolling his arm over in the nets has to do with anything.

I don't mind his commentary - it is certainly uniquely Aussie.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
I doubt any broadcaster would've offered him a job.

Quick way to have the ICC refuse to negotiate with them ever again!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Warne is a drug cheat, plain and simple.
Don't give me this rubbish about how minor the offence was -- all cricketers contracted with CA are well aware of the drugs policy in place.
Warne should have known better.

He has already brought immense disrepute to Australian cricket (through his various activities) ---commentating now only adds to that.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
he was banned from cricket, and has suffered alot for it, but commentating is not cricket so its fine. plain and simple.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
Warne is a drug cheat, plain and simple.
Don't give me this rubbish about how minor the offence was -- all cricketers contracted with CA are well aware of the drugs policy in place.
Warne should have known better.

He has already brought immense disrepute to Australian cricket (through his various activities) ---commentating now only adds to that.
Hello.

Who said he wasn't?

I don't see anyone in this thread saying that his offence was minor - just comparing it to Hansie Cronje's, so no-one on here is giving you any rubbish.

The punishment fitted the crime - he was banned from playing cricket - the only thing that the authorities had control of. They could not ban him from going to games, commentating on games, even being filmed in a non-competitive form of the game, i.e. a stage-managed net practice.

If you feel so strongly about it (which you have every right to) why not boycott watching cricket on tv when Warne is commentating - or even turning the sound down?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
TV Coverage and commentary is about the presentation and the
promotion of the game.
So you think its ok for someone who has soiled the image of Australia to be part of that ?
Yeah nice one ,mate :P :P

As for the part that he's suffered a lot :lol:
I forgot about those millions he made before he took the diuretic.
As I said before, he has only himself to blame for the predicament he's in.
So there is no reason to feel sorry for him.

And luckyeddie, I rarely watch channel 9's coverage -- the ABC radio coverage is far less biased and much more interesting.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
TV Coverage and commentary is about the presentation and the
promotion of the game.
So you think its ok for someone who has soiled the image of Australia to be part of that ?
Yeah nice one ,mate :P :P

As for the part that he's suffered a lot :lol:
I forgot about those millions he made before he took the diuretic.
As I said before, he has only himself to blame for the predicament he's in.
So there is no reason to feel sorry for him.

And luckyeddie, I rarely watch channel 9's coverage -- the ABC radio coverage is far less biased and much more interesting.
Stop putting words in my mouth. I just gave you the legal whys and wherefores. If you care to go back and read my other comments in this thread, you will see clearly where I stand - I stated that he ought to crawl back under his rock, so don't drag me into it. Deal with it, contact the correct authorities and register your objections with them, you angry young man.