• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne shouldn't be seen or heard

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
So you think its ok for someone who has soiled the image of Australia to be part of that ?
God, I'm slow tonight.

How much mileage would I normally get out of a comment like that?:P

Salamuddin

International Debutant
If you had bothered to read my post properly, luckyeddie, you would have realised that only the last part was intended as a response to *your* previous posts.

And no, Warne has not soiled the image of Australia --- I forgot to add the word cricket -- Warne has indeed soiled the image of Australian cricket and you would have to be extremely naive not to admit that.

And don't patronise me by calling me an angry young man.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
As for the part that he's suffered a lot :lol:
I forgot about those millions he made before he took the diuretic.
His money bears what relevance to his suffering?

For about 95% of International sportsmen I would say the fact they cannot represent their country or even play the sport they love is hard, no matter if they have £1 or £10,000,000 in the bank.

If not, why do people carry on at ever decreasing levels?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
If you had bothered to read my post properly, luckyeddie, you would have realised that only the last part was intended as a response to *your* previous posts.

And no, Warne has not soiled the image of Australia --- I forgot to add the word cricket -- Warne has indeed soiled the image of Australian cricket and you would have to be extremely naive not to admit that.

And don't patronise me by calling me an angry young man.
I read every one of your posts within this thread, for what they were worth - and as I pointed out before, no-one within this thread was saying that the TV companies were right to employ Warne - only that they had a right to because he had only been suspended from PLAYING cricket.

I totally agree with the sentiments of everything which you said from a moralistic perspective - Warne is supposed to be a role model and ought to act the part. If I were a TV channel owner, I would not entertain him in my employment - but as I have said time and time again but you are just incapable of recognising, the Australian cricket authorities have no juristriction over what is shown on TV.

I wasn't intending to patronise you - if I was, I would have told you to grow up.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I do well realise that CA has no authority to enforce whether Shane Warne can commentate or not, thank you very much.

The gist of what I was getting at was that Channel Nine should have shown more sense and not employed him.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I know Warne broke the rules, but a diuretic is not 'performance enhancing' is it?
How is he a 'cheat'?

I think he was bloody stupid, but as an avid Australian cricket fan, I do not feel he has soiled Australian cricket at all - I feel the underarm incident by Trevor/Greg Chappell was far worse than taking diuretics.......

And James you feel Channel Nine is 'biased' - towards Australia I assume? You don't listen to Tony Greig then?

bennyr

U19 12th Man
This is an issue that is complicated by the fact that Australians over the last few years have only been too glad to brand people from other countries "drug cheats" and maintain a bit of a "holier than thou" attitude. In light of this, he is an embarassment.

I think Shane Warne has brought some shame to Australian cricket, but this shame is more out of alarming stupidity rather than being a cheat.

I would prefer he wasn't commentating, but again, this is because he is a buffoon, not because he is a cheat.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kenny said:
I know Warne broke the rules, but a diuretic is not 'performance enhancing' is it?
How is he a 'cheat'?

I think he was bloody stupid, but as an avid Australian cricket fan, I do not feel he has soiled Australian cricket at all - I feel the underarm incident by Trevor/Greg Chappell was far worse than taking diuretics.......

And James you feel Channel Nine is 'biased' - towards Australia I assume? You don't listen to Tony Greig then?
Diuretics are not performance enhancing but they are used to mask steriods, perticularily those that aid the healing process. And he did recover from that shoulder injury pretty quickly...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Diuretics are not performance enhancing but they are used to mask steriods, perticularily those that aid the healing process. And he did recover from that shoulder injury pretty quickly...
And he looked EVER so pretty at the press conference

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
ofcourse the channe 9 commentators are biased... so are the indiian commentators, the west indian commentators and the english commentators. for players like Benaud, Cahappel, Healy, lawry and taylor they cant help it, thats part of what happens when you play so many tests over so many years for your country

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I think C9 had some nerve to employ Warne but the thing that really struck me about this thread was LE's superb handling of the strange argument.
Well played, sir.8D
It may seem a strange comment, but for a loony and an opinionated pillock he has shown (to me for the first time) his skillful argument side.
Ever been a politician, besides your career in physics?
We could do with more like you ATM in the World of politics.
Come to think of it, cut the ATM...

age_master said:
ofcourse the channe 9 commentators are biased... so are the indiian commentators, the west indian commentators and the english commentators. for players like Benaud, Cahappel, Healy, lawry and taylor they cant help it, thats part of what happens when you play so many tests over so many years for your country
benaud isnt bias