• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root

ThatCricketGuy

Cricket Spectator
Is Joe Root going to be the next best thing in English cricket?

And how has he got to where he is now in the first place?

I've written a post about it, and it's at TheSillyPoint

Joe Root has been in the limelight a lot recently for England - and he's made a big impact on the international scene as well as for his county Yorkshire last summer.

At just 22 years old he's got the best years of his career ahead of him; if he keeps on the straight and narrow unlike some other hot prospects in the English game. Ben Stokes *Cough* Matt Coles *Cough*

But what has Joe Root achieved so far in his relatively short career?

What brought him in to the English squad in the first place?

Well - he showed promise right from the word go. On his second team debut for Yorkshire he scored a half century. More impressive scores followed, and it was only a matter of time before he got his chance in the first team.

His chance came against Essex; in the final CB40 match of the 2009 season. His first XI debut was just as fine as his entrance to the second XI, hitting a half century opening the batting. His 63 turned accounted for over a third of his sides runs and after the game he described his impressive debut knock as "dream come true."

The England's under 19's squad is where a lot of young England stars start to shine on the international level. Michael Vaughan and Freddie Flintoff captained this side when they were both teenagers, showing that the under 19 stage is a vital stepping stone in the career of an aspiring international cricketer.

Root wasn't picked as captain for the team but in 2010 in the under 19 world cup. He was picked to open the batting. In two games he scored nearly a century in total, although these scores were against minor teams. His first two games were his big successes of the tournament from his personal playing point of view, as he made no major contribution to his teams totals in games against a strong India and then West Indies.

He'd done decent at the world cup but hadn't made a massive impact.

At this point few could predict that in two years time he would be a Yorkshire regular, holding several ODI caps and a single test cap.

In 3 of his one day games he hit half centuries and he has also hit a half century in his single test cap.

He can turn his arm over too; his gentle off break could claim a wicket or two once in a blue moon. Primarily, he can hold up and end for a couple of overs before the new ball is available.

The boy can field too - he's pretty much got the potential to have the full package. The video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4hJ6owTT10&feature=player_embedded) is a brilliant piece of fielding by the young man, and a brilliant example of the ever changing game of cricket. You wouldn't have seen a batsman playing a shot like this never mind the fieldsman producing a piece of magic 30 years ago.

So is Joe Root destined for great things? Will he become a key player in this years ashes and beyond? Or will he become a flop? Will he drift away from the national team set up and never be heard of again?

Well, I think Root is destined to play a massive part against the Aussies this year. Against a relatively weak bowling line up he could deliver a lot of damage.

Against India in December he showed his potential in very tough conditions.He batted slowly, with patience, and although he scored only four boundaries he kept the scoreboard ticking over. For this reason I think he is more suited to opening the batting rather than coming in at number five/six. He and Cook could give the Aussie's a lot to think about early on in the innings.

If he puts in the hard work on the training ground and stays out of the media for the wrong reasons then I can't see a reason why he can't replace Andrew Strauss at the top of the English batting order.

Only time will tell if I'm right, but I'm rarely wrong! However, I would still love to hear the views of you, any comments at the bottom of the page are always appreciated!

Cheers.
I'd love to hear any feedback about any of the points made in the post!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr_Ronan

Banned
Root looks to be a fantastic talent but it's still very early days for him.

I'm surprised you called the Aussie attack "weak", suggesting he could rack up runs against them. Australia's batting is certainly very vulnerable but it's battery of pace bowlers is strong and the Ashes will be played in conditions which will suit them perfectly.

ThatCricketGuy

Cricket Spectator
Root looks to be a fantastic talent but it's still very early days for him.

I'm surprised you called the Aussie attack "weak", suggesting he could rack up runs against them. Australia's batting is certainly very vulnerable but it's battery of pace bowlers is strong and the Ashes will be played in conditions which will suit them perfectly.
Perhaps "Weak" is a exaggeration on my part, but I still feel with the exception of young James Pattinson who has got a lot of potential I wouldn't class any of their other bowlers as world class bowlers. For this reason I think Root could potentially make a few large totals this summer and winter

Valer

First Class Debutant
Perhaps "Weak" is a exaggeration on my part, but I still feel with the exception of young James Pattinson who has got a lot of potential I wouldn't class any of their other bowlers as world class bowlers. For this reason I think Root could potentially make a few large totals this summer and winter
Harris.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would you class Stuart Broad as world class?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, my point is that at the moment, there's only one guy in the England side as a bowler that I would take over the rest of the Australian attack aside from Pattinson, and that's Anderson. Siddle, Starc, Bird etc. are all on a par for mine, with the rest of the English attack.

Not saying that I'd take Pattinson over Anderson either.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, my point is that at the moment, there's only one guy in the England side as a bowler that I would take over the rest of the Australian attack aside from Pattinson, and that's Anderson. Siddle, Starc, Bird etc. are all on a par for mine, with the rest of the English attack.

Not saying that I'd take Pattinson over Anderson either.
Jack, we agree on most things but it is weak and inaccurate to put 4 guys on the same level. It just isn't possible that they are on par with each other. Saying that, I have not seen enough of the Aussie bowlers to make an adequate comparison.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Maybe I didn't express myself well, or maybe we just disagree.

People could make - very legitimate - arguments for any of these guys over another, but none of Broad, Finn, Siddle, Starc, etc. are producing consistently over the past twelve months to separate themselves from the "pack"; hence I wouldn't trade any of the Aussie quicks for a Pom - aside from Anderson.

L Trumper

State Regular

People could make - very legitimate - arguments for any of these guys over another, but none of Broad, Finn, Siddle, Starc, etc. are producing consistently over the past twelve months to separate themselves from the "pack"; hence I wouldn't trade any of the Aussie quicks for a Pom - aside from Anderson.
Yep. Anderson, Pattinson will be 1 and 2 based on the performances over last 12-18 months.

ThatCricketGuy

Cricket Spectator
Would you class Stuart Broad as world class?
My point is that, in my personal opinion, Australia have no world class bowlers (Pattinson has the potential to be one) Harris is old and not really proven on the Test stage (Most of his caps against WI and NZ), Doherty the spinner is average at best as is Peter Siddle.

Stuart Broad is not world class but I think Swann and Anderson are. I'd rate Pattinson above Finn but he's the only Aussie bowler I'd put above our bowling attack in terms of ratings.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Flip it around as well. Would England trade for any of the Aussies? As I said, I have not seen enough of the Australian attack to have my own opinion on the subject.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flip it around as well. Would England trade for any of the Aussies? As I said, I have not seen enough of the Australian attack to have my own opinion on the subject.
Any side in the world would want Pattinson

Having watched all of England and Australia's recent test matches, I personally think Starc has more potential than Finn but as both are young and inconsistent, it's probably 50/50 atm

Interesting one is that Johnson is just about the world's most derided cricketer and I certainly dont want him anywhere near our Ashes team as he seems to have a mental block against the Poms. However, Broad's record does not stack up against his (MJ takes more wickets at a much better s/r and at a much lower average)

However, I cannot imagine England wanting him

Having said that, Siddle also has a much better record so he may be an option

Putting the boot on the other foot, the only English bowler I'd want is Anderson.

Even Swann is not worth it as he'd average 40 in Oz so what's the point

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Mods need to do something about this ****. what relevance does all this crap have to Joe Root? keep it in the ashes thread. and should someone really be promoting their blog here either?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Mods need to do something about this ****. what relevance does all this crap have to Joe Root? keep it in the ashes thread. and should someone really be promoting their blog here either?
If Joe Root could select a bowling attack made up of the available English and Australian players, who do you think he would choose?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woop Woop Fun police raid

Ok, so would Australia swap any batsmen for Joe Root?

I have seen every one of Root's matches for England and whilst he has been very impressive in nearly all of them, his shot in the first innings of this test was truly appalling and hinted at a potential problem with the short ball

At his stage, I'd probably only swap Cowan but that's an age and potential thing rather than acertainty

Mr_Ronan

Banned
He wrote a blog post about Joe Root and linked to it while also asking for people's opinions on this exciting young batsman. That is hardly worthy of calling him a **** or demanding action from the mods.

Regardless, I will quibble with him over his assertion that Harris is nothing special and has taken all his wickets against WI and NZ. Excluding those 2 weak sides he has snared 32 Test wickets at 22.

If he stays fit (admittedly he has suffered injury problems), England should be very concerned about Harris as he is liable to cause them problems like he has in his previous 3 Ashes Tests (12 wickets at 25).

IMO, England have two world-class bowlers in Anderson and Swann.

Finn is a huge talent but is very inconsistent - the guy's conceded 3.6rpo over his Test career which is way above the 3.0rpo which is considered solid for a pace bowler (England conceded that was the reason he was dumped after the 2nd Test of the previous Ashes despite being the leading wicket taker of the series).

Panesar is much improved but still has a lot to prove to be considered a world-class bowler (his Test average is 32).

Broad is the least impressive of their leading 5 bowlers with an average of 32 after a hell of a lot of Tests (52). He would have ZERO chance of getting a game for Australia if we had a full complement of bowlers to choose from.

Many English supporters don't rate Siddle (the author of this thread included) yet his Test record is easily superior to Broad's (very similar number of wickets but at average of 29 vs Broad's 32).

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Every ****ing thread descends into this bull**** comparison of england and australia. who the **** cares. stop relating everything back to the ashes