Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket obituaries

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar

Cricket obituaries

I don't recall ever seeing one of these on here ... old (and some not so old) cricketers are slipping away all the time, and not all of them are headline stories on Cricinfo, so they can go unnoticed. There've been a few interesting ones this year though:

Neil McCorkell - the Hampshire batsman celebrated his 100th birthday last year and may be the last surviving pre-war county cricketer, unless someone knows better;

Sammy Guillen - the only man to have played Test cricket for West Indies and New Zealand, sounds like a bit of a character;

Peter van der Merwe - South African captain of the mid-60s and later a Test referee. Officiated in Zimbabwe's first Test and also the England - NZ series of 1999 when England, having fallen at the first hurdle in the World Cup, lost to the Kiwis and fell to the bottom of the Test rankings.

Brian Langford - Somerset off-spinner and captain. Returned unrepeatable figures of 8-8-0-0 in an early Sunday league game.

I will add more names if and when I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Neil McCorkell - the Hampshire batsman celebrated his 100th birthday last year and may be the last surviving pre-war county cricketer, unless someone knows better;
    Cyril Perkins is still with us.

Dare say he's the oldest living FC cricketer currently as he's even older than Norman Gordon, the SA test centurion.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It took me years to track down a copy of Sammy Guillen's autobiography

Guy de Alwis, the Sri Lankan keeper of the mid-80s (and later selector) has gone well before his time at 53.

Also Haseeb Ahsan, Pakistan off-spinner of the early 60s whose career ended early amid doubts about his action; better remembered here as the outspoken manager of one of Pakistan's typically controversial England tours (1987, possibly).

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    101 years old fair play

Thought I'd bring this up to date with a couple of non-players who slipped under the radar:

Veteran journo Dicky Rutnagur - Telegraph is one who I can remember reading in the Telegraph in the 70s, he was interviewed in 'retro cricket magazine' Backspin only last month.

Meanwhile umpire K.T.Francis | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo stood in Sri Lanka's first Test in 1982 and continued until 1999. He stood in the Test at Colombo when Sri Lanka hit a world-record 952-6 and 14 wickets fell in five days. Must have been hard to stay alert for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Cyril Perkins is still with us.

Dare say he's the oldest living FC cricketer currently as he's even older than Norman Gordon, the SA test centurion.
    Cyril Perkins died last week, that might well leave Norman as the oldest.

Incidentally no Test cricketer has died for seven months now, the last being Pakistan one-Test keeper Shahid Israr back in April - must be very unusual, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Cyril Perkins died last week, that might well leave Norman as the oldest.
    Remarkable record in one way - a few matches for Northants in the 30s and then one list A game for Suffolk against Kent in 1966 at 54 - Colin Cowdrey was man of the match and scored a ton, but Cyril conceded just 31 from his 12 overs, so he must have bowled pretty well

RIP Reg Simpson

From the BBC.

England's oldest surviving test player passes away at a creditable 93. Vale.

One imagines his wartime experiences gave him a healthy perspective on cricket's place in the grand scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski only this morning View Post
    Incidentally no Test cricketer has died for seven months now, the last being Pakistan one-Test keeper Shahid Israr back in April - must be very unusual, to say the least.
    Jinx duly applied I'd say...

May have to do an obit for dear old Reg - he and I have similar matrimonial track records

I've just learned that Cyril Perkins holds the record for having played the most First Class matches without ever being on the winning side - 51 of them

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Was a champion in the 1500m freestyle as well. RIP.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Loved milk.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

Sad indeed.

I would be interested to more of the medical facts on this one. Sounds like being hit around the heart literally caused it to stop. Wouldn't have thought that was likely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information