• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official 'Katich and Rogers to open' thread

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Let's look at this on its face. A major reason the Aus top four has sucked so convincingly is because nobody is there to breathe down their neck. I'd go so far to say that the golden years happened not only because of the talent and dedication of the first XI's batting, but the knowledge that they were perfectly replaceable meant they were willing to scrap for every run.

Right now, everyone batting above Clarke has copped a torrent of criticism since the South Africa tests and any changes made have been strictly short-term (i.e. Hughes being babysat till Sri Lanka, Watto's recovery from his last broken nail).

You can't help but feel that the top four is certain their spots are secure irrespective of performance, simply because they're the best we've got and Invers will persist in patiently waving aside every failure until they develop proper Test temperaments in their own centrally-contracted time.

So, for the Ashes, why not have two players - one a Test veteran, the other spending half their life pounding attacks on English decks - waiting in the wings or even used as outright bolter selections David-Steele style?

In any case, they'd be an urgent injection of maturity into the squad proper, even if they don't play a Test.

Last edited:

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
As I've written elsewhere, it is ridiculous that we are "rebuilding" when our test series over the next 12 months are India away, England home and away, and South Africa away.

If a 35-year-old like Rogers is one of our best bats he should be in the team right now - simple. We only need a solid 12 months out of him.

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
Too late for Katich to make a comeback now. Should have never been forced out of the team in the first place IMO.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Bobby Simpson and Colin Cowdrey would like a word.
Katch is already 38 now I think - His reflexes will start to deteriorate rapidly soon and Australia can't afford to persist with him for an extended run in case he takes time to get used to the grind of international cricket after a long hibernation

Plus his issues with Clarke are well known. Don't see him coming back tbh.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner
Katman
Cosgrove
Doolan
Clarke
Burns
Haddin
I hate to say it but Cosgrove and Doolan really don't have the domestic records to suggest that they should be replacing Cowan and Hughes. Burns is at a very early stage in his career and should be given more time to perform domestically before he gets picked.

social

Katch is already 38 now I think - His reflexes will start to deteriorate rapidly soon and Australia can't afford to persist with him for an extended run in case he takes time to get used to the grind of international cricket after a long hibernation

Plus his issues with Clarke are well known. Don't see him coming back tbh.
Plus Katich is retired and literally only plays BBL + a few club games now

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Struggle to believe Katich wouldn't come back if asked, tbh.

Not going to be asked, so a moot point, but reckon he'd jump at it.

fredfertang

Now we've got the Arab's money we can do better, so I hope he does get a recall - then we could sign Dravid

the big bambino

International Captain
Not a bad idea. Give Hodge a call too. I wonder if Bobby Simpson would suit up again? Situation is just as bad now and we could use a sequel.

Btw how dumb was it to keep Hughes from SA? The pitches were true and there was the bonus of Philander missing a test. Odds would have been good for Hughes scoring runs and setting up his career.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Btw how dumb was it to keep Hughes from SA? The pitches were true and there was the bonus of Philander missing a test. Odds would have been good for Hughes scoring runs and setting up his career.
Fully agreed. In my mind there'll forever be a cloud over current selection favouritism because they wanted to get Hughes 'cherry-ripe' to beat up SL instead of testing him against the best. If he'd averaged more than 3 it would have been an inspired selection.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hate to say it but Cosgrove and Doolan really don't have the domestic records to suggest that they should be replacing Cowan and Hughes. Burns is at a very early stage in his career and should be given more time to perform domestically before he gets picked.
Wasn't really a serious post

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Even I think this would be a bad idea. Katich associating with the current line up of clowns would taint his record tbh.