• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Criteria for selection

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we at time in cricket where one gets selected just as much for his off-field traits (good bloke around the dressing room etc) and "personality" as opposed to being picked on merit?

Obviously guys like Maxwell and Dernbach are prime examples of this, to a lesser extent Bopara too . Could it be something as simple as them being potential matchwinners or 'gamechangers'? (coaches jargon here).

Memory's a little hazy but I remember more orthodox criteria for selection in the 90s/00s. Throwing it out there that the introduction of T20 has probably been a big influence in altering the mindset of what skillset or 'character' a player needs to 'survive' in international cricket.

Thoughts?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Are we at time in cricket where one gets selected just as much for his off-field traits (good bloke around the dressing room etc) and "personality" as opposed to being picked on merit?

Obviously guys like Maxwell and Dernbach are prime examples of this, to a lesser extent Bopara too . Could it be something as simple as them being potential matchwinners or 'gamechangers'? (coaches jargon here).

Memory's a little hazy but I remember more orthodox criteria for selection in the 90s/00s. Throwing it out there that the introduction of T20 has probably been a big influence in altering the mindset of what skillset or 'character' a player needs to 'survive' in international cricket.

Thoughts?
Is Dirtbag a really positive influence around the English dressing room? Or just there as a sensible reminder of discretion in tattoo-getting for the rest?

Not sure his inner Oscar Wilde will surface anytime soon.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, "positive member of the dressing room'" can be interpreted in whichever way you want basically. I certainly don't see it's definition as a cricketer who shows intelligence i.e Ed Cowan.