• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Team with players who had below 50 bat avg and above 25 bowling avg

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England of the 90's :laugh:

Could easily make up a half decent team from after the mid 80's

Atherton
Butcher
Hussain
Lamb
Gatting
Stewart
Flintoff
Giles
Hoggard
Anderson
Harmison

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My attempt...

Bruce Mitchell
Vijay Merchant
Neil Harvey
Stan McCabe
Frank Worrell *
Adam Gilchrist +
Ian Botham (4)
Vinoo Mankad (5)
Kapil Dev (3)
Andy Roberts (2)
Shoaib Akhtar (1)

Edit: Gilchrist in place of Ames. Completely forgot that he averaged under 50.

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
The choice is unbelievably rich and difficult for someone who likes elegant batsmen (rarely do any of them average above 50 ;)) Personal choice here, not claiming it's the 'best' or that it's 'balanced' etc. Only chose those have experience of watching, thus Aussie bias.

G Greenidge
M Slater
VVS Laxman (wrong position, but I had to have him)
M Waugh
C Hooper
D Martyn
A Gilchrist
K Dev
B Lee
J Gillespie
A Qadir

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
50 and 25 seems rather lenient now. What's the best you can do with batsmen who averaged under 40 and bowlers who averaged over 30 (35 for spinners)?
All about the all-rounders.

Thought that having 19th Century players was kind of cheating.

V. Trumper
M. Atapattu
C. Hill
L. Gomes
F. Woolley
R. Shastri
A. Flintoff
A. Knott
J. Gregory
L. Constantine
J. Anderson

Pothas

Pace attack is clearly the strongpoint, hope Jimmy does not qualify for much longer though,

Howe_zat

Audio File
All about the all-rounders.

Thought that having 19th Century players was kind of cheating.

V. Trumper
M. Atapattu
C. Hill
L. Gomes
F. Woolley
R. Shastri
A. Flintoff
A. Knott
J. Gregory
L. Constantine
J. Anderson
Good effort that. You reckon Attapattu over Atherton?

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
50 and 25 seems rather lenient now. What's the best you can do with batsmen who averaged under 40 and bowlers who averaged over 30 (35 for spinners)?
Under 40 is tough ..but ill try..

Alec Stewart
Mike Atherton
Marlon Samuels
Nasser Hussain
Carl Hooper
Larry Gomes
Andrew Flintoff
Ashley Giles
Matthew Hoggard (Had Jerome Taylor at first)
Geoff Lawson
Patrick Patterson

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Hunte
Greenidge
Kanhai
Worrell*
Lloyd
Nurse
Dujon+
Roberts
Hall
C Griffith
Gilchrist

harsh.ag

Under 50 and Over 25 XI:

W G Grace | Victor Trumper | Stan McCabe | Rohan Kanhai | Neil Harvey | Frank Worrell (c) | Adam Gilchrist (w) | Andy Roberts | Harold Larwood | John Snow | Erapalli Prasanna |

Closest: Gordon Greenidge, Arthur Morris, Inzamam ul-Haq, Clive Lloyd, Peter May, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev, Wes Hall, Abdul Qadir

Under 40 and Over 30 XI:

Victor Trumper | Arthur Shrewsbury | Clem Hill | Warwick Armstrong | Frank Woolley | Jack Gregory | Ravi Shastri | Alan Knott (w) | Brett Lee | Learie Constantine | James Anderson |

The only spinners available were Tufnell, Venkataraghavan and Ray Price. So, I went for Ravi Shastri who bowled useful left arm spin. This side is full of all-rounders as you can see.

Closest: Marvan Attapattu, Majid Khan, Ian Healy, Alec Stewart, Jacob Oram

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hardly any mentions of one M D Crowe. Continues to be criminally underrated on this forum. Surely better than the likes of Damien Martyn considering when he played and the bowling attacks he faced. He was basically the best batsman in the world in the 10 year period between 1985 - 1995 and should be a dead-cert in the under 50s team IMHO.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is the best time to mix and match. Batsmen from the 19th century and bowlers of much more recent lineage.

Good time to show some love for WG, Trumper, Ranji etc

1. Grace
  2. Trumper
  3. Ranji
  4. McCabe
  5. Worrell
  6. Faulkner
  7. Kapil Dev
  8. Gregory
  9. Knott
  10. Larwood
  11. Warne

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Bobby Simpson
Gordon Greenidge
Rohan Kanhai
Neil Harvey
Frank Worrell
Trevor Goddard
Adam Gilchrist
Ian Botham
Harold Larwood
Andy Roberts
Subhash Gupte

Is Keith Miller a cheat if he batting in the top 6?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bobby Simpson
Gordon Greenidge
Rohan Kanhai
Neil Harvey
Frank Worrell
Trevor Goddard
Adam Gilchrist
Ian Botham
Harold Larwood
Andy Roberts
Subhash Gupte

Is Keith Miller a cheat if he batting in the top 6?
I thought about Miller too; I basically decided that it was okay to select him as long as he didn't bowl at all in the game. And I decided there were better batsmen to pick.

harsh.ag

Hardly any mentions of one M D Crowe. Continues to be criminally underrated on this forum. Surely better than the likes of Damien Martyn considering when he played and the bowling attacks he faced. He was basically the best batsman in the world in the 10 year period between 1985 - 1995 and should be a dead-cert in the under 50s team IMHO.
Who would you replace out of McCabe, Kanhai, Harvey, Worrell with Crowe?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This is the best time to mix and match. Batsmen from the 19th century and bowlers of much more recent lineage.

Good time to show some love for WG, Trumper, Ranji etc

1. Grace
  2. Trumper
  3. Ranji
  4. McCabe
  5. Worrell
  6. Faulkner
  7. Kapil Dev
  8. Gregory
  9. Knott
  10. Larwood
  11. Warne
I like this team. I'd make one change though - MS Dhoni for Knott, and move him to 7.

smash84

The Tiger King
Under 50 and Over 25 XI:

W G Grace | Victor Trumper | Stan McCabe | Rohan Kanhai | Neil Harvey | Frank Worrell (c) | Adam Gilchrist (w) | Andy Roberts | Harold Larwood | John Snow | Erapalli Prasanna |

Closest: Gordon Greenidge, Arthur Morris, Inzamam ul-Haq, Clive Lloyd, Peter May, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev, Wes Hall, Abdul Qadir

Under 40 and Over 30 XI:

Victor Trumper | Arthur Shrewsbury | Clem Hill | Warwick Armstrong | Frank Woolley | Jack Gregory | Ravi Shastri | Alan Knott (w) | Brett Lee | Learie Constantine | James Anderson |

The only spinners available were Tufnell, Venkataraghavan and Ray Price. So, I went for Ravi Shastri who bowled useful left arm spin. This side is full of all-rounders as you can see.

Closest: Marvan Attapattu, Majid Khan, Ian Healy, Alec Stewart, Jacob Oram
Shane Warne would be a better option for above 25 average than Abdul Qadir. Abdul Qadir can fit into the above 30 category.