• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian cricket in limbo?

pup11

International Coach
As disappointing as the present Indian tour is turning out to be anyone who has been following the functioning of Australian cricket over the last 5-6 years knows, that results like these are inevitable and its something that the players can't really be blamed for.

When the Argus repot was made public a lot of hustle was shown by Cricket Australia and fans were promised a more professional and transparent system, but 18 months down the line very little has changed, instead things just seem to have gotten worse.

The Sheild games barely are going into the 4th day, gentle medium pacers are topping the wicket takers list because all first class venues in Australia are basically the same these days as they are either damp or covered with live grass, as a result spinners are bowling even lesser number of overs and batsmen of national interest are getting very little time in the middle to develop their skills.

The problem now is that the people with the authority to change these things are too busy trying to hatch schemes to mint more money from TV deals and competitions like BBL and CLT20, even if that comprises the very foundations of Australian cricket and since this attitude has persisted within the Australian administration even after that phase of massive public uproar they faced after the Ashes and world cup debacle, it basically just shows that they either don't give a rat's ass about Australian cricket or its fans or they probably are just a inept bunch of suits.

As a fan all you can ask for from your team is to play hard and show some character in tough situations, but what you don't want to see is players representing your team who look way out of their depth at the international level, because primary reason behind these selections are previous reputations or likeability of that particular player which are wrong reasons to pick somebody to play at the highest level.

Since 2007 the word transition is being used with this Australian side and as unfortunate as it is, that transition phase is still not complete and we will be trapped in this transition limbo for many more years to come if we don't start picking players based on skill, fitness, talent and most importantly consistency.

pup11

International Coach
Guess you have gotta change your name to SK Warne to express your opinion regarding Australian cricket.... :ph34r:

the big bambino

International Captain
pup11 is right. Argus was something seen to be done. Another ashes beating around the corner and the next. Wont be able to hide then. I recommend another period of soul searching, reports, 10 point statements, a few more chicks on the board and table thumping from Sutherland. Thats the sort of leadership we need. Pretend to do something until the criticism falls off the front page.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I've got a feeling we'll go very close in the Ashes IF selection is done properly...

Valer

First Class Debutant
Drawing with NZ at home must have been underwhelming too.
I try to forget about that test...

Seriously tho, I found the SA series more disappointing given the strength of the position we were in for the first 2 games.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA at home was pretty disappointing too.
More so disappointing than bad. With better luck (no rain in Brisbane, Pattinson breaking down at Adelaide) it would have been 2-1 our way probably.

Valer

First Class Debutant
I think those luck based excuses are pretty weak. It was disappointing to not close it out despite those problems.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think those luck based excuses are pretty weak. It was disappointing to not close it out despite those problems.
Were we really in much of a position to win Brisbane anyway?

Point on Adelaide, but it can be hard to close it out with only three bowlers.