• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Century/High Score

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
Filled in for a mates 125436th grade park cricket side a while back...

The number 9 scored a 70-odd not out through exclusive use of the french cut, I'm sure if not for the effects of bodyline the opposition captain would have deployed 9 fine legs.

This was about 8 years ago, apparently the bloke had never passed 20 before or since...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Collingwood scored one against the Windies in 07 where he never really go his eye in an was sopped 4 or 5 times

I mainly remember it for how much it annoyed Richard tbh

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Getting dropped isn't really lucky as much as it's just the opposition being ****.
Disagree. The batsman's been lucky as he shouldn't have got away with it, even though the opposition can't complain of being unlucky if they weren't competent enough to hold on to the catches..

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matt Hayden 05 and Mike Hussey 09 both got tons in the last test of an ashes series in England after having wretched tours and both innings were pretty dire to watch.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Disagree. The batsman's been lucky as he shouldn't have got away with it, even though the opposition can't complain of being unlucky if they weren't competent enough to hold on to the catches..
It's a crap bit of cricket by both sides that results in a dot. Better fielding would have dismissed him, but so would better bowling. You could just as easily say Morgan was lucky to score a century at all with his technique, because if an Indian had bowled a good spell to him first up he'd have got out.

Taking advantage of the other side making errors is what cricket is about half the time.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Andy Zaltzman said:
Kirsten has haunted my every cricketing nightmare since I took a week’s holiday to go to the England v South Africa Old Trafford Test in 1998. Kirsten spent the first 11 accursed hours of this match grinding out 210 grindingly ground-out runs in a manner that rendered previously sane cricket watchers insensible with boredom. Even his team-mates and blood relatives must have been drinking fearsomely aggressive espresso coffees every half hour to endure the vigil. Not wishing to waste a moment of my precious holiday time, I dedicatedly sat through every single ball of that innings. I have suffered flashbacks ever since, the deep psychological scars have seriously affected my family relationships, and I have never quite been able to see the sunny side of life as I had before. I survived the ordeal, but have never truly been the same cricket fan again.
First ever day of live Test cricket I attended, age 12. I concur unreservedly.

L Trumper

State Regular
It's a crap bit of cricket by both sides that results in a dot. Better fielding would have dismissed him, but so would better bowling. You could just as easily say Morgan was lucky to score a century at all with his technique, because if an Indian had bowled a good spell to him first up he'd have got out.

Taking advantage of the other side making errors is what cricket is about half the time.
Good point. Hate it when people bang on about how batsman is lucky because fielder missed a chance, on the same token batsman is lucky when bowler delivers long hop.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
NZers to rage but I recall Taylor's record breaking century in Hamilton against Aus being as streaky a 100 I've seen. Might not be as bad on highlights but that's how I remember it.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
How about Lahiru Thiramanne against the aussies in adelaide in the ODIs? He drew out a chase of 170 and played awfully until he got to about 45.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Decent shout but he did middle one at least (and what a shot)

Same game but Bev's knock was the most painful I've ever watched. On an utter belter of a pitch, Bev managed to have a missed stumping off him, was bowled off a no-ball and while Blewwy was racing toward a ton at the other end against a dejected bowling attack, Bevan was crawling and struggling his way to 50. Blewwy got out with Bev in the 70's but Bev was going so poorly that even with Healy, Warne and Bichel to bat with him, still managed to get stranded well short of a ton on 85 off 263 balls.

Was a poor advertisement for Test cricket in general, that game. Hayden and Bev's knocks, 4(?) no-ball wickets and a couple of dropped chances on day 2, Patterson Thomson and Bev picking up 10 with the ball.
Was about to post the same thing

Bevan's knock was truly awful and about as far removed from the fluent ODI player as you can imagine

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bevan seems to have had an awesome series there.. How did it all go pearshaped for him in tests after that?

I mean, that is one of the finest all-round performances in a test series one can hope to see...
Mentally shot when it came to test cricket

Despite being a fantastic puller and hooker, he literally froze in tests and got himself in all sorts of trouble against the short ball.

In one of his last test innings, he simply lobbed a half-tracker to cover and Richie summed it up by saying words to the effect of "in any other standard of cricket, the crowd would've had to throw the ball back. Sad"

ganeshran

International Debutant
Massive hitter of the ball and not the worst leggie either
And quite the mercurial character too.. An article in the Dawn

Pakistan has produced a number of brilliant cricketers with outstanding playing skills.

But none has been as hard to pin down, elusive and (to his captains), as frustratingly talented as Wasim Raja (elder brother of former Pakistan cricket captain and popular commentator, Ramiz Raja).

Just before the 1987 Cricket World Cup when the then Pakistan cricket captain, Imran Khan, was holding a large (and televised) function to raise funds for his cancer hospital, the Pakistan team joined him on the stage.

The host of the event (late Moin Akhtar) went about with a microphone talking to various players. When he reached Imran, he asked him who he thought was the most talented player he’s ever played with.

Imran smiled and while pointing at Ramiz Raja said: ‘His brother, Wasim Raja. He was hugely talented, but very erratic.’

Even in his book, ‘An All Round View’ (1994), Khan writes that Wasim never did justice to his stunning talent.

Coming from a highly educated family of Lahore, Raja made his Test debut in 1973, selected for his prodigious cricketing talents.

But throughout his career he remained to be a rebel and a loner. He continued to have a problematic relationship with almost all of his captains and the Pakistan cricket board.

Perhaps the only captain that was able to nurture his talent the most was Mushtaq Muhammad under whom Raja played his finest cricket.

In an essay written by West Indian batsman and former captain, Rohan Kanahi, after his team’s 1975 tour of Pakistan, Kanahi was highly impressed by the swashbuckling batting talents of Raja.

But Kanhai was once surprised to see Raja sitting alone at the bar during a party in Karachi: ‘He was not very easy to talk to,’ Kanhai wrote. ‘He was very private and detached from the rest of the team.’

But the crowds loved him. During the second Test against the visiting Windies in Karachi (in 1975), while fielding near the boundary line, Raja baited a section of the large crowd at the National Stadium by teasingly threatening to unzip his fly! Outraged, the conservative Urdu press accused him of being drunk on the field. Raja, however, went on to crack a superb century in the match.

Pushed in and out of the team for his cavalier approach, Raja was not played in the 1976 series against New Zealand that Pakistan won 2-0 (under Mushtaq).

His name was missing again from the 18-member squad that was announced for Pakistan’s long tour of Australia and the West Indies. Both teams at the time were considered to be the best in the world.

However, on the insistence of captain, Mushtaq Muhammad, and manager, Omar Kureshi, Raja was finally given a berth in the touring squad.

In spite of performing well in the side games, Raja could not find a place in the playing eleven in the 3-Test series against Australia (that Pakistan drew 1-1).

Raja had scored a scorching century against a tough Queensland side, but when the night before the third Test he was told by the team manager (Col. Sujja) that he will not be picked for the Test, Raja went on a rampage.

Always a reckless drinker but painfully introverted, Raja decided to express his rage by smashing all the mirrors in his hotel room (with a whiskey bottle). He then stumbled into the hotel lobby, slurring abuses against Sujja.

In his autobiography, Mushtaq Muhammad relates how some players, who were having a drink at the hotel bar, panicked and approached Mushtaq, and it was left to the captain to cool Raja down. Mushtaq also suggests that Sujja actually wanted Raja in the playing eleven, but it was Mushtaq who decided to play Haroon Rashid instead.

The management decided to send Raja back to Pakistan, but Mushtaq vetoed the decision.

Raja finally got his chance in the West Indies leg of the tour, on faster wickets and against faster bowlers. In a closely contested 5-Test series (that the Windies won 2-1), Raja compiled over 500 runs, cracking one century and five fifties (and hitting 14 sixes – a record at the time of a batsman hitting the most sixes in a series).

A Pakistani player fondly remembered how Raja (during the fourth Test) sat in the dressing room in his shorts, then casually walked out to smoke ganja with some West Indian fans, came back, padded up, went in and hit the fearsome fast bowler, Joel Garner, for a first ball six over long-off!

In his book, Mushtaq writes that he continued to tolerate Raja’s ‘many eccentricities’ because he was performing brilliantly.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Mentally shot when it came to test cricket

Despite being a fantastic puller and hooker, he literally froze in tests and got himself in all sorts of trouble against the short ball.

In one of his last test innings, he simply lobbed a half-tracker to cover and Richie summed it up by saying words to the effect of "in any other standard of cricket, the crowd would've had to throw the ball back. Sad"
oh wow i must check that out, i remember that shot! :laugh: