• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting vs Bowling

Scallywag

Banned
Greg Chappel was the only good batsman Australia had and he averaged over 50 against the west Indies and Richards only averaged 41 against Australias bowlers, West Indies never had a batting team that would put pressure on their bowlers and Australia never had a bowling attack that put pressure on their batsmen.

I think it would be great to watch those teams play and on any given day the results could go either way. As mentioned before Gilly would most likely be the unknown factor to give Aus the edge.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Deja moo said:
Dude, I'm one step away from introducing Bracken into the conversation.
haha fair enough. but i do think its fair to say that India lacks a bit of bowling depth.

Deja moo

International Captain
Nnanden said:
haha fair enough. but i do think its fair to say that India lacks a bit of bowling depth.

True. But I'm not complaining about it. That attack is the best we have, and given that we pretty much win more games than we lose, even with that poor an attack, its obvious that they're a bunch of triers.

Slow Love™

International Captain
A brilliant bowling attack will always conceal your other weaknesses better than a great batting lineup will, IMO. And obviously, you'll win more matches. The batting still has to be of a pretty good standard though, in order to be/stay at the top - Richie Richardson and various Pakistan captains have probably found this out the hard way.

When comparing the West Indians to the current Aussies though, I find it frustrating that we generally seem to compare across such disparate time periods. It seems more useful to compare a side that actually played together at their peak for a couple of years or more to another similar, rather than cherrypicking the highlights of a very long era. Just a minor gripe.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
if ur talking test matches, then its bowling. You need to get 20 wickets to win a test.

But for ODIs, a good batting lineup is more important

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ReallyCrazy said:
if ur talking test matches, then its bowling. You need to get 20 wickets to win a test.

Sure.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ReallyCrazy said:

That is fair enough. But I guess for us in the sub-continent, we always get more excited by great batters than great bowlers.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Deja moo said:
True. But I'm not complaining about it. That attack is the best we have, and given that we pretty much win more games than we lose, even with that poor an attack, its obvious that they're a bunch of triers.
no, no, no... i meant if an indian bowler is out injured, the quality of the replacement may not be as high as other countries. in no way am i doubting the current attack =)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LongHopCassidy said:
My sarcasm detector is being repaired, can you enlighten me?
hehe... long gone are the days when you could ask someone if they were being sarcastic :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
My sarcasm detector is being repaired, can you enlighten me?
:laugh: :laugh:
For once I wasnt being sarcastic :sleep:
I meant I agree that for ODI's batting is perhaps more important.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ReallyCrazy said:
woohoo SJS agrees with me!!

*barks in delight*
What took you so long ? :D

PS. Have I had too many disagreements with you? I honestly dont recall. :huh:

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gotta be bowlers.

There's no point scoring 1000 runs over two digs if you can't take 20 wickets.

As the saying goes, bowlers win matches and batsmen save matches.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
has to be bowling. with a top quality bowling attack, you can dismiss teams for 200-300 almost all the time and you also don't have to depend on batters as all it takes is '10' deliveries to take 10 wickets.
a batman can only bat until he recieves the ball that will take his wicket while bowlers have about 450 balls in day to try and bowl those '10' deliveries