Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matthew Wade

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    So Lyon bowled pies to Dhoni because Wade was playing. That a new one.

Are you suggesting that 9 tests of Wade's keeping hasn't done anything to his confidence &/or changed his bowling to reduce the amount of caught wk / stumped?

NB: if he found those extra 6 wickets --probably a pretty decent estimate sans the 2nd order effects I mentioned above, he'd average ~32 for his last 10 tests.
    Last edited by Valer; 27-02-2013 at 05:20 AM.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post
    Are you suggesting that 9 tests of Wade's keeping hasn't done anything to his confidence &/or changed his bowling to reduce the amount of caught wk / stumped?
    haha, that is almost certainly not the case.

Bugs me that I don't remember how many chances Wade dropped/missed for Lyon. Should have started a thread to document them. Wade wag.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    haha, that is almost certainly not the case.
    Eh? You don't think he'd toss it up more when someone goes down the pitch to him if he knew Wade could make the stumping? I'm not sure this is an entirely concious decision but I' suggest that some of his flight change could be attributed this way.

I'll put it another way, if wade could not catch *anything* or make *any* stumpings would you change the way you bowl given you were the Australia spinner?

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post
    Eh? You don't think he'd toss it up more when someone goes down the pitch to him if he knew Wade could make the stumping? I'm not sure this is an entirely concious decision but I' suggest that some of his flight change could be attributed this way.
    It has to be a conscious decision if he's deliberately changing the way he bowls in fear of a missed stumping.

It would be overthinking it and just highly, highly unlikely imo.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Magilla was on the radio last night in Sydney and made some interesting comments about bowling in India. He didn't mention Wade's keeping specifically, but he mentioned how easy it is to lose confidence in those conditions, and how important it is for a spinner there to have bowlers at the other end taking poles. Was a good interview. I'll see if I can find a link to it.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

At a bare minimum it would've given him more confidence, which give how he's bowling at the moment can only be a very good thing.

It has to be a conscious decision if he's deliberately changing the way he bowls in fear of a missed stumping.
    Why does it have to be conscious? It'd be in the back of his mind and that would be enough to have an impact.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Why does it have to be conscious? It'd be in the back of his mind and that would be enough to have an impact.
    It's in the back of his mind that Wade is having trouble taking stumping chances and so he subconsciously decides to stop tossing the ball up and starts to bowl pies? I have trouble believing that, and more importantly from whenever I've seen Lyon bowl that's not the case either. Just seems unlikely to me.

I agree that Wade has cost Lyon a handful of wickets and it may have dented his confidence, but not to the extent that he'd change his bowling style just to remove Wade from the equation. He just does that when he's tired or bowling against settled batsmen imo.

Agree to disagree etc.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    There are two types of people in the workforce, even the cricket workforce.

The first type are those who are technically good at their job and look great, BUT are demanding, a pain the arse to work with, and therefore disrupt the work-flow of the department.

The second type are those who are less knowledgable and a bit slow. However, they are pleasant, good to be around, and try hard. They take longer to learn tasks and roles, but ultimately they benefit the department better in the long-run because they get on with everyone and are well motivated.

I think that Matthew Wade fulls into that second caregory because he seems like a genuine bloke who has the potential to come good. Give him a fair go.
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong" - Oscar Wilde

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Then there are those who are simply not good enough and deserve to be fired

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Then there are those who are simply not good enough and deserve to be fired
    By the same logic Rod Marsh should have been given the boot too.

He wasn't nicknamed "Iron Gloves" for nothing.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    I get your point Watson, but it's not an entry level traineeship. He's representing his nation at cricket. He's reached the pinnacle whilst being pretty ordinary at his primary skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I get your point Watson, but it's not an entry level traineeship. He's representing his nation at cricket. He's reached the pinnacle whilst being pretty ordinary at his primary skill.
    I watched Wade in action most of the summer, and he didn't seem that bad to me. If he's regularly dropping stuff by next season then by all means sack him. But really, he seems like a genuine long-term prospect to me. He just needs some patience and encouragement. Don't we all?

Incidently, IMO Haddin should not have been dropped in the first place. But now that he is, the bridge is kind of burned.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I watched Wade in action most of the summer, and he didn't seem that bad to me. If he's regularly dropping stuff by next season then by all means sack him. But really, he seems like a genuine long-term prospect to me. He just needs some patience and encouragement. Don't we all?

Incidently, IMO Haddin should not have been dropped in the first place. But now that he is, the bridge is kind of burned.
    He's fine keeping back to the quicks. Actually, he's quite good and athletic there. But he's really shafting Lyon imo. Just misses stumpings and find edges too often.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Nah watson, test match cricket is the executive branch of the company. You don't have the office junior in the GM position.

Let him learn to keep in state cricket, not test match cricket.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information