• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Wade

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I get your point Watson, but it's not an entry level traineeship. He's representing his nation at cricket. He's reached the pinnacle whilst being pretty ordinary at his primary skill.

watson

Banned
I get your point Watson, but it's not an entry level traineeship. He's representing his nation at cricket. He's reached the pinnacle whilst being pretty ordinary at his primary skill.
I watched Wade in action most of the summer, and he didn't seem that bad to me. If he's regularly dropping stuff by next season then by all means sack him. But really, he seems like a genuine long-term prospect to me. He just needs some patience and encouragement. Don't we all?

Incidently, IMO Haddin should not have been dropped in the first place. But now that he is, the bridge is kind of burned.

Red

I watched Wade in action most of the summer, and he didn't seem that bad to me. If he's regularly dropping stuff by next season then by all means sack him. But really, he seems like a genuine long-term prospect to me. He just needs some patience and encouragement. Don't we all?

Incidently, IMO Haddin should not have been dropped in the first place. But now that he is, the bridge is kind of burned.
He's fine keeping back to the quicks. Actually, he's quite good and athletic there. But he's really shafting Lyon imo. Just misses stumpings and find edges too often.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah watson, test match cricket is the executive branch of the company. You don't have the office junior in the GM position.

Let him learn to keep in state cricket, not test match cricket.

watson

Banned
He's fine keeping back to the quicks. Actually, he's quite good and athletic there. But he's really shafting Lyon imo. Just misses stumpings and find edges too often.
Then Haddin should return because there is no garantee that the next young bloke that comes into the squad will do any better during a Test match. And the team may end up wasting another 6 months finding out he's no good either.

However, catching a ball is really a matter of expert advice followed by lots of practice; provided that the keeper has two arms, good reflexes, and doesn't need glasses. Wade obviously has the will and the temperment to survive in the Test match arena. These things cannot be taught but are instead innate, and therefore more important in the long-term when compared to merely catching. If you get what I mean.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't know about "quite good". He never looks completely comfortable and I've seen him fluff a few easy takes (though not off edges, luckily).

Red

I don't know about "quite good". He never looks completely comfortable and I've seen him fluff a few easy takes (though not off edges, luckily).
Yeh, I think (as Watson said) he's similar to Marsh in some ways. He played a fair bit of Aussie rules, so he's quite good overhead and when the ball is flying around. But as a pure keeper, up to the stumps when there's a stumping on offer, or a bit of deviation from edges or off the pitch, he just isn't good enough.

I think there is a tendency in Australian selection to pick "good/top blokes" who'll be good teammates. I think Wade falls in to this category, as does Cowan to a lesser extent. This idea is ok to a point, but in all honesty, I don't think Wade's a good enough keeper to be the Australian test team at present, regardless of how good a bloke he is or how much potential he has. Tests aren't the place to develop talent.

Red

Also, I don't like to be negative about players (except Shane Watson), but I think quality keeping is vital in tests, particularly in India and England.

More than happy for Wade to prove me wrong.

Red

I find it striking that people actually consider Wade a good bloke. Where did this come from?
His on field chatter ****s me tbh.

But he seems like a sort of easy going bloke who'd be ok to be around on long tours etc.