• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Wade

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
He almost got hit in the nuts standing up. If there is any movement or variable bounce standing up he misses it. His hands get there late which tells me he doesn't know where the ball is going to be if the batsman misses.

Sort of **** I used to do when I filled in at keeper but I wasn't touring India impersonating a keeper.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Seems to me this is all Brad Haddin's fault. Bloke can actually keep, and can actually bat, but he's a ****ing ****** with his stroke play and thus let Wade slip in to contention.

Even with Haddin's personal problems that allowed Wade to play in WI, I think if Haddin didn't have scrutiny over his batting prior to that, he'd have come back and replaced Wade when he was available again, even despite Wade doing well in WI.

Wade sucks balls. It is Brad Haddin's fault that we have been exposed to him sucking balls.

I think I could make every bad thing in life Brad Haddin's fault tbf.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's somewhat worrying that Victoria have replaced him with another guy who isn't a natural keeper.
wasn't that just a way of fitting handscomb into the team? surely once dussey, rogers etc go away and there's more spots up for grabs handscomb will give up the gloves, at least in the shield

Valer

First Class Debutant
Obviously its not all Wade's fault but

Lyon with Wade 10M 36W @ 38.16 SR 77.1
Lyon with Haddin 10M 41W @ 28.68 SR 55.7

Valer

First Class Debutant
So Lyon bowled pies to Dhoni because Wade was playing. That a new one.

Are you suggesting that 9 tests of Wade's keeping hasn't done anything to his confidence &/or changed his bowling to reduce the amount of caught wk / stumped?

NB: if he found those extra 6 wickets --probably a pretty decent estimate sans the 2nd order effects I mentioned above, he'd average ~32 for his last 10 tests.

Last edited:

Daemon

Are you suggesting that 9 tests of Wade's keeping hasn't done anything to his confidence &/or changed his bowling to reduce the amount of caught wk / stumped?
haha, that is almost certainly not the case.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Bugs me that I don't remember how many chances Wade dropped/missed for Lyon. Should have started a thread to document them. Wade wag.

Valer

First Class Debutant
haha, that is almost certainly not the case.
Eh? You don't think he'd toss it up more when someone goes down the pitch to him if he knew Wade could make the stumping? I'm not sure this is an entirely concious decision but I' suggest that some of his flight change could be attributed this way.

I'll put it another way, if wade could not catch *anything* or make *any* stumpings would you change the way you bowl given you were the Australia spinner?

Daemon

Eh? You don't think he'd toss it up more when someone goes down the pitch to him if he knew Wade could make the stumping? I'm not sure this is an entirely concious decision but I' suggest that some of his flight change could be attributed this way.
It has to be a conscious decision if he's deliberately changing the way he bowls in fear of a missed stumping.

It would be overthinking it and just highly, highly unlikely imo.

Burgey

Magilla was on the radio last night in Sydney and made some interesting comments about bowling in India. He didn't mention Wade's keeping specifically, but he mentioned how easy it is to lose confidence in those conditions, and how important it is for a spinner there to have bowlers at the other end taking poles. Was a good interview. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

Spark

Global Moderator
At a bare minimum it would've given him more confidence, which give how he's bowling at the moment can only be a very good thing.

It has to be a conscious decision if he's deliberately changing the way he bowls in fear of a missed stumping.
Why does it have to be conscious? It'd be in the back of his mind and that would be enough to have an impact.

Daemon

Why does it have to be conscious? It'd be in the back of his mind and that would be enough to have an impact.
It's in the back of his mind that Wade is having trouble taking stumping chances and so he subconsciously decides to stop tossing the ball up and starts to bowl pies? I have trouble believing that, and more importantly from whenever I've seen Lyon bowl that's not the case either. Just seems unlikely to me.

I agree that Wade has cost Lyon a handful of wickets and it may have dented his confidence, but not to the extent that he'd change his bowling style just to remove Wade from the equation. He just does that when he's tired or bowling against settled batsmen imo.

Agree to disagree etc.

watson

Banned
There are two types of people in the workforce, even the cricket workforce.

The first type are those who are technically good at their job and look great, BUT are demanding, a pain the arse to work with, and therefore disrupt the work-flow of the department.

The second type are those who are less knowledgable and a bit slow. However, they are pleasant, good to be around, and try hard. They take longer to learn tasks and roles, but ultimately they benefit the department better in the long-run because they get on with everyone and are well motivated.

I think that Matthew Wade fulls into that second caregory because he seems like a genuine bloke who has the potential to come good. Give him a fair go.

Daemon

Then there are those who are simply not good enough and deserve to be fired