Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Matthew Wade

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    I'd say they're much better than anything Watson's done.
    Just Watson? I'd say they'd be better than anything a bunch of blokes who frequent a cricket forum have done.

Apart from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Just Watson? I'd say they'd be better than anything a bunch of blokes who frequent a cricket forum have done.

Apart from me.
    A philosophical point Monk?

I'd like to suggest the opposite. A great Test match innings involves perseverance, dedication, endurance, and in many cases courage (I'm thinking of Bert Sutcliffe V Neil Adcock in particular). But importantly, a great Test match innings only lasts a day or two. No more.

On-the-other-hand, Life lasts more than a day or two. Instead it lasts many decades and never ceases till death happens. Yet by sheer necessity Life requires the same kind of perseverance, dedication, endurance, and in every case - courage. Tons of it.

For cricket is just a metaphor, and a very pale representation of the Life that we all lead. Even cricket forum blokes.
    Last edited by watson; 04-03-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    1. Sunil Gavaskar 2. Virender Sehwag 3. Jimmy Amarnath 4. Sachin Tendulkar 5. Virat Kohli 6. Vinoo Mankad 7. MS Dhoni 8. Kapil Dev 9. Javagal Srinath 10. Zaheer Khan 11. Subhash Gupte

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    A philosophical point Monk?

I'd like to suggest the opposite. A great Test match innings involves perseverance, dedication, endurance, and in many cases courage (I'm thinking of Bert Sutcliffe V Neil Adcock in particular). But importantly, a great Test match innings only lasts a day or two. No more.

On-the-other-hand, Life lasts more than a day or two. Instead it lasts many decades and never ceases till death happens. Yet by sheer necessity Life requires the same kind of perseverance, dedication, endurance, and in every case - courage. Tons of it.

For cricket is just a metaphor, and a very pale representation of the Life that we all lead. Even cricket forum blokes.
    All true my friend. But I think we were talking about tits!

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    hmmm.. how long before someone argues THAT requires patience, endurance, courage and dedication too?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    They do.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar

Worth revisiting perhaps? Wade's keeping has been pretty awful in the ODI's and the T20s imo. Bancroft gets a shot in tonight's 20/20 because Wade goes to NZ to get ready for Wednesday's ODI.

Who would be your LO keeper for Australia? I don't think we need Wade's sloggy batting down the order with the line up we have currently and I'd prefer a top flight keeper who's a decent bat, keeping in mind the T20 WC is in Indian conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Red Hill is the best philosopher the great on the forum.

Agreed. His keeping just isn't up to scratch.

There isn't a lot to choose from besides Nevill. Maybe reverting to Tim Paine or even trialling Whiteman when he is fit.

I really don't like Bancroft playing in this game. Part time keeper and not too suited to T20 cricket at this point of his career. Seems like a token Aussie cap for mine considering he missed out on touring Bangladesh and he's now slid way down the pecking order of batsmen.

Tim Paine in both formats for mine.

I'd roll the dice on Whiteman. If developed correctly he could become a real gun, and more appropriate for lower-order batting than Wade.

And while this sounds left-field but I'd strongly consider Handscomb as the keeper for the T20 given his ability in playing spin.
    5-0

Want to be the online Don Bradman or Ian Salisbury?
    Then join CW Cricket today. It's what all the cool kids desire.

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    Tim Paine in both formats for mine.
    Tim Paine is such a myth.

Australia's white-ball 'keeper has always been a bit of a problem. Most of them are best suited to opening the batting, but the Finch/Warner partnership isn't going to be broken any time soon. Then, the ones who can be dynamic down the order or are suited to being middle order cakes aren't especially great with the gloves (Wade, Handscomb, Bancroft). And the guys who are good with the gloves are absolutely shocking limited overs bats (Nevill, Hartley).

Whiteman's probably the best option, more for the sake of his development than because he's a standout player in that role. Or you hold your nose and pick Ludeman to 'keep tidily and contribute 15 (13) from #10.

I can't quite recall what his glovework was like, but someone like Crosthwaite might not have been a bad fit for it -- 'keep tidily and score at a decent SR while batting right down the order, staying out of the way of people who #CanBat but not chewing up dot balls if he is required.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Crosthwaite's keeping was decent for a state cricketer. Probably a level below Ludeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Tim Paine is such a myth.
    How so?

The bloke couldn't score off spin with all the fielders up, how's he going to do it with five fielders out?

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    How so?
    He's averaging <30 in FC cricket these days (with noted "can't bat" wicketkeeper Chris Hartley averaging 32); since his injuries he's seemed to have regressed as a batsman immensely -- he's still passable in short formats, but certainly not as a lower order slogger. Just isn't a role he's played in a long, long time. This is pretty much the only time he did it at international level, everything else came opening (also heck yes Marc Petrie appearance).

And his glovework isn't that good either, again, especially since his injury.

If we're going to pick that kind of player -- a passable batsman who isn't especially suited to the lower order hitter role who is competent-but-nothing-exceptional with the gloves, you give it to Whiteman, who has far more potential to improve on those skills, is IMO better at them than Paine is anyway, and isn't already the wrong side of 30.

Don't get me wrong, the guy had talent, and it's a damn shame that getting his finger smashed in an all-but meaningless TV fixture basically ****ed his career (has he done anything of note since?). But it isn't 2010 any more, he's not the player he once was.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread Information