• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Moises Henriques tracker

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So who would bat at #4 in an idea case for Australia? I would assume they will play their 4 bowlers (either the 4 seamers or some spinner thrown in) and Wade as the bottom 5 and Maxwell and Mitch Marsh will be #5 and 6, in whatever order, but who is their best batsman for LOs outside this lot? Lynn at 4?

Bahseph

State Captain
Warne buried the guy on commentary in the England match. Called him a bits and pieces guy. I thought it was a little harsh until I saw his stats and the shot he played to get out. Unless he totally bosses domestic cricket, I don't get it either.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He was dominant with the bat in both the FC and Matador Comps last summer. If there's a time to pick a guy in LO and tests on form it's now for Moises.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
ODIs:
1. M Marsh
2. H Cartwright
3. M Stoinis
4. M Henriques

Tests:
1. H Cartwright
2. M Henriques
3. M Marsh
4. M Stoinis
Cartright should be our long term test #3.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So who would bat at #4 in an idea case for Australia? I would assume they will play their 4 bowlers (either the 4 seamers or some spinner thrown in) and Wade as the bottom 5 and Maxwell and Mitch Marsh will be #5 and 6, in whatever order, but who is their best batsman for LOs outside this lot? Lynn at 4?
Head would be batting four if Marsh was fit, I think.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne buried the guy on commentary in the England match. Called him a bits and pieces guy. I thought it was a little harsh until I saw his stats and the shot he played to get out. Unless he totally bosses domestic cricket, I don't get it either.
Basically averaged 100 in all forms

edit: don't take that literally

Head would be batting four if Marsh was fit, I think.
Lynn has to play somewhere. Possibly even at the expense of Maxwell if he's not allowed to bowl anymore

Last edited:

Justo

U19 Debutant
IMO bring in Handscombe for Wade. Give him the gloves and have him bat at 4. His keeping may not be great but neither is Wades and he'll at least improve the batting. Shuffle everyone else around as required.

TheJediBrah

IMO bring in Handscombe for Wade. Give him the gloves and have him bat at 4. His keeping may not be great but neither is Wades and he'll at least improve the batting. Shuffle everyone else around as required.
Maybe Lynn should open or bat three and TPC at four.
These both make a lot of sense. But not sure either are likely to happen.

TPC wouldn't want to bat 4 if he can help it because you want to give him as much time as possible, but it would help you fit Lynn and/or Khawaja in the side.

Handscomb to replace Wade also good because Maxwell at 7 looks better than Maxwell at 6, but IIRC Wade has actually been decent in ODIs. I know he made a match-winning ton last season from no. 7, can't remember who against but I think it was at Brisbane

Daemon

Just get Khawaja in and wait patiently. It'll take a while like it did with Rohit but it'll be worth it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think you should move the Chump outside the top 3. I am a great believer that the best batsmen have to bat at the best positions and in LO cricket, your best batsman has to bat in the top 3. It's that simple. And its not like the Chump is struggling at that position either. I would go:

Warner
Finch/ Shaun Marsh / Khawaja
Smith (c)
Head/Lynn
Head/Maxwell
Mitch Marsh
Wade (wk)
Cummins / Pattinson
Starc
Hazelwood
Steve O Keefe / Zampa

Justo

U19 Debutant
My order would probably be something like this. I'm not 100% sure on the exact players for some spots but this general structure.

Warner
Second Opener
Smith (c)
Handscombe +
Lynn/Head
Lynn/Head/M Marsh/Maxwell
Maxwell/M Marsh
Bowlers with Starc and Haze as locks.

IMO this provides a solid balance with the right players in the right positions. Handscombe and Smith are the best guys to soak up the middle overs of spin with the hard hitters to come afterwards. I'd probably go with Khawaja as second opener but I'm not all that phased. Replacing Wade with Maxwell or whoever at 7 gives excellent depth to the line up and bar Haze most of our bowlers aren't bad with the bat.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. D Warner
2. T Head
3. S Smith
4. M Marsh
5. C Lynn
6. G Maxwell

Mitch Marsh takes a bit of time to settle before going off, so I'd give him #4 ahead of Lynn for that reason. I'd even consider Lynn in a 'you go in with 20 to go or at #6, whichever comes first' role as well, and float the 'keeper up and down the order as necessary to make that work.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I want to live in a world where Chris Lynn opens the batting for us.

Lynn - Warner (c) - Smith - Head - Handscomb+ - MMarsh - Turner# - Faulkner# - Starc - Hastings - Hazlewood 12th - Cummins

# on debut

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I want to live in a world where Chris Lynn opens the batting for us.

Lynn - Warner (c) - Smith - Head - Handscomb+ - MMarsh - Turner# - Faulkner# - Starc - Hastings - Hazlewood 12th - Cummins

# on debut
Lynn
Warner
Smith
Khawaja/Finch
Head
Handscomb +
<All Rounder who isn't Maxwell and who isn't Faulkner and most definitely isn't Henriques, and hopefully is in good form)
Starc
Hastings
Hazlewood
Zampa

Flem274*

123/5
I remember Henriques from a few years ago in India(?) and he looked all right. Shame to see his stock fall. jammier cricketers have fluked international careers for aus (finch, khawaja, haddin)

i spose he does average something like 10 in odis so...

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
What's happened to Maxwell? He seems to have dropped off since '15 WC although I haven't been following things closely.

Top_Cat

I've got no beef with Henriques playing tbh, but the Australian selection around allrounders at the moment is a complete shambles. Stoinis was selected in the Test squad ahead of Henriques despite averaging 13 or something for the season because he'd played well in that ODI series against New Zealand, then the next thing we know he's been dropped from the ODI side for Henriques anyway. It just made no sense. We also had the one Test from Cartwright and the weird, extended faith in Mitch Marsh just prior to that (and after that as well, actually). These are all reasonably close to being line-ball calls, but there's no just coherent thought process behind it all.
Think the selection appears haphazard because every tournament is either an Ashes or world cup audition. Certainly little else explains Pattinson's inclusion in this squad.

The treatment of blokes like Henriques has been pretty shabby in general. Give him one Test in SL and expect him to play a role in a side that had already lost the series then pick him to bat high in a major ICC ODI tournament having ignored him all summer. No pressure.

Last edited: