• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best young batsman around right now?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just seeing how the English media are raving about Joe Root, it just got me wondering, who is the best young batsman at international level right now and who has the most potential? you have a few knocking around..

India= Kohli and Pujara

WI= Darren Bravo and Powell

NZ= Wiliamson

England= Root and Bairstow

Powell- had a poor start to test cricket but has been getting better and better, hitting three tons of late and is scoring runs in the ODI's, and the way he plays is extremely stylish, he must be the youngest opener at test level too,

:

Ah, even given all the chaos he created, there are still times when I miss WW.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If I have to rank them in terms of their perceived potential today (perceived by me), I'd say

1. Rahane
2. Smith
3. Williamson
4. Mathews
5. Root
6. Kohli

All of them are very good tbh.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Steven Smith - Can't believe how good he is. I have enjoyed Lara bat and now I enjoy Steven Smith bat.
Kane Williamson - So much like Sachin in so many ways. Love to see him bat as well.
Asad Shafiq - he is 29 but the technique is some thing I enjoy.
Tom Latham - Hasn't had a good year but should go from strength to strength.
Rahane - Plays too many shots outside the off stump but he is improving on it. Is dedicated which is nice to see.
Mahmudullah - Again 29 but he is very good to watch. Will be interesting to see how it pans out for him. One of the most elegant players.

* Haven't watched Joe Root bat properly yet to analyse.
** Kohli plays far too many dabs rather than proper defenses. How that will work for him remains to be seen for me. He has a wider reach than many players which is a huge positive.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah how come nobody is talking about this bangaldeshi dude quietly going about his business averaging 50+. is it because he hasnt faced australia?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yeah how come nobody is talking about this bangaldeshi dude quietly going about his business averaging 50+. is it because he hasnt faced australia?
It's because he's scored all his Test runs at home on complete roads, and failed in ODIs.

It's just not been especially hard to score runs in the Tests he played. Kayes and Shakib average 50+ in those games as well:

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Definitely a promising player but not worth ranking alongside the names we've mentioned in this thread. Well, not yet anyway -- to be fair he's a few years younger than most of them.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli- Has been unbelievably prolific over the last 18 months, and apart from that one horrendous England tour has got runs everywhere. Still doesn't know how to get daddy hundreds, though, which is a problem.

Rahane- Easily the most fun to watch, and along with Smith, the most consistent across conditions. Has pulled off the sort of knocks few are capable of (Lord's, Melbourne). Has probably lacked that one massive series where he's dominated.

Root- Monstrously good against some damn good attacks, although mostly at home so far. Looks like he has the game to succeed everywhere though, and knows how to go big.

KW: Looks the calmest and most mature of the bunch. Underrated handsomeness as well. He's so cute.

Smith : Has basically ticked every box. Has got runs literally everywhere, goes big, ridiculously consistent, some great knocks in tough conditions. The best at the moment imo. Looks crabby as **** at the crease though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kohli- Has been unbelievably prolific over the last 18 months, and apart from that one horrendous England tour has got runs everywhere. Still doesn't know how to get daddy hundreds, though, which is a problem.

Rahane- Easily the most fun to watch, and along with Smith, the most consistent across conditions. Has pulled off the sort of knocks few are capable of (Lord's, Melbourne). Has probably lacked that one massive series where he's dominated.

Root- Monstrously good against some damn good attacks, although mostly at home so far. Looks like he has the game to succeed everywhere though, and knows how to go big.

KW: Looks the calmest and most mature of the bunch. Underrated handsomeness as well. He's so cute.

Smith : Has basically ticked every box. Has got runs literally everywhere, goes big, ridiculously consistent, some great knocks in tough conditions. The best at the moment imo. Looks crabby as **** at the crease though.
All 5 are deadset jets. Next 10 years is gonna be sweet.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon he's hungry enough for 10 more, yeah.

Add Mathews to the list, Jono. Maybe Chandiguns too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If you include Warner and Mathews you might as well include Watling (but turned 30 last month) Best no 6/7 in the world

Last edited: