Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best young batsman around right now?

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    I'm not sure how people can be so confident about Pujura when the lad hasn't even performed away from home yet!!.. at least Kohli has a ton in Aus, Darren Bravo two tons in India, Williamson a ton in India too etc, for all we know Pujura is just a home bully.

No doubt he's looked impressive thus far, but lets see what he can do when they go to SA later this year before he's hailed an "all time great".
    WE.ARE.CHAMPIONS!!

Fmd, that must be the biggest straw man of all time. No one called him an all-time great.

Banned
    "All time great"? Lol, where did that come from?

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    That would be because he is.

He's underperformed somewhat in his test career to date I'll admit that, inconsistancy has plagued him pretty badly. But some of the expectations people seem to have placed on him are just totally ridiculously, it's as though he should be averaging 45+ and because he isn't he's some sort of cricketing bust. Newsflash, test cricket is tough. It is especially tough when you're a young batsmen trying to make it in a team that is as bad as this New Zealand one as been over the past three or so years. He's also come into the New Zealand team where we've played a lot of test cricket recently (for us anyway) but very little of it at home, 21 test matches and he's played 1/3 them at home.

He might not have the record so far that a few other young batsmen have managed but his overall game is right up there, you only have to watch him for five minutes to see that.
    Im very much on the same page as you - every time I've watched him bat hes looked very organized and his technique is unparalleled in the NZ side. I rate him very highly, and even though his average is perhaps unflattering hes played some very valuable knocks and considering that he is not yet 23 he has got plenty of time to set that record straight.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    The likeness with Brian Lara is only too apparent for Darren Bravo and quite a player to live upto, though the way he's started his Test career those comparisons won't go away soon. Did struggle in English conditions and like Williamson has done, another stint in county cricket should certainly help his game develop.
    I think what people forget with Lara is that he never had a great technique, his was really a triumph of hand- eye coordination and balance over technique and its one of the reasons why Glenn McGrath worked him over time and time again. An extraneously high backlift along with feet that often got nowhere near the pitch of the ball meant that he was often susceptible to the ball going away from him. My own personal opinion with Bravo is that I just dont think he has the ability of Brian Lara to make up for the deficiencies in his technique though obviously considering that he is only 24 he could very well figure it out over the course of his career.

I havent seen enough of Pujara, at least not on helpful tracks to judge so I will reserve judgement on him for the time being. His record though shows an insatiable appetite and the fact that he has scored FC runs for India A across the world probably is a good sign. I'm also quietly fond of Murali Vijay's technique, though once again, it remains to be seen how he holds up away from home.
    Last edited by tooextracool; 18-03-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    I think what people forget with Lara is that he never had a great technique, his was really a triumph of hand- eye coordination and balance over technique and its one of the reasons why Glenn McGrath worked him over time and time again. An extraneously high backlift along with feet that often got nowhere near the pitch of the ball meant that he was often susceptible to the ball going away from him. My own personal opinion with Bravo is that I just dont think he has the ability of Brian Lara to make up for the deficiencies in his technique though obviously considering that he is only 24 he could very well figure it out over the course of his career.

I havent seen enough of Pujara, at least not on helpful tracks to judge so I will reserve judgement on him for the time being. His record though shows an insatiable appetite and the fact that he has scored FC runs for India A across the world probably is a good sign. I'm also quietly fond of Murali Vijay's technique, though once again, it remains to be seen how he holds up away from home.
    The thing is, TEC, technique is a combination of your footwork, hand-eye co-ordination, ability to time the ball, speed of backlift etc etc.. There is no one perfect technique. Each one just work ways to position themselves to the ball based on their own strengths and weaknesses. Lara's was as good a technique as can be found for a guy of his abilities and strengths.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Vijay's a funny one. He has an attractive technique. It looks tight and compact. His feet move quite well. You would think he's not going to get bowled or LBW too many times. His attacking shots don't consist of him playing far away from his body, or flaying his arms... yet I worry about him overseas. Mainly because he failed so badly in WI.. but then again Raina succeeded in the WI and well... it's Raina.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    When does India tour Australia next?

Could be interesting for their batsmen, especially seeing as Pattinson, Starc, Cummins etc will be around that 24-26 mark.

Ages. They toured in 2011/12, so it would be December 2015 I imagine.

International Vice-Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Don't see why Chandimal and Thirramanne from Sri Lanka don't get any mention - I would have to say Chandimal out of those two.

Nasir Jamshed looked OK at one point in SA but he struggled - his ODI record in the sub-continent is incredible atm though.

Tamin Iqbal has been carrying Bangladesh for a while too - but he doesn't convert starts enough, and Bangladesh don't play outside the sub-continent enough to make a judgment - was good in England though.

Overall, I think Dinesh Chandimal takes the cake - he has proved himself everywhere he has played - except maybe for SL of all places, but he did score a ton against BD just recently.

Pujara's scored 1068* runs @ 80.08 in 10 tests in the last 12 months with two double tons.

He's in mammoth form right now.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Yeah a fine effort to make 1068 on debut.

Srsly though, this is not even a discussion. It's P00jara by miles.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Pujara and Patto are just way ahead in their respective departments atm.

Simon Champion!
    But Either haven't done anything in the West Indies yet.
    Last edited by Cevno; 24-03-2013 at 04:35 AM.

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    But Either haven't done anything in the West Indies yet.
    It's true though, Pujara had a good start in the A-team tour last year but was soon found out in the end while Patto only last one test!! .

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information