Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the best young batsman around right now?

Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    He's been in terrible form of late and has been rightly dropped, but the lad had a decent start at test level, four 50s aged 18 is not to be sniffed at!! ,

A lot of people are on the Kohli bangwagon and no doubt the lad is good but when him and Darren Bravo were on the same pitch in TWO different series home and away again there was only ONE winner, and their averages at test level tells a similar story .
    In matches not against Bangladesh

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

No point in excluding bangaladesh considering the attacks other teams posses.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Most people opting for Pujara, and while I agree he has shown a very decent technique, temperament and hunger for runs, he has also had the advantage of batting on very friendly home wickets in eight of his ten Tests to date. He has played only two Tests outside of India (both in SA) and registered scores of 19,10 and 2, so I don't think he has yet proved he is that far ahead of the players mentioned by any stretch of the imagination.

I've always been a fan of Kane Williamson, who in his 20 Tests so far has had bat in far more bowler-friendly conditions. His match saving century at Wellington against SA probably his most eye catching contribution so far. His balance when driving off the back foot hitting the ball at the top of the bounce is most impressive. What probably hasn't helped is the fact he is being too heavily relied upon in an inconsistent NZ batting order, he doesn't have the likes of a Tendulkar, Chanderpaul, Pietersen, etc, to help with and learn from.

Virat Kohli with nearly 100 ODI's (and 14 Tests);/' to his name clearly has more experience of international cricket than most 24 year olds, so you would expect his development to be at a more advanced position at this time than the others. His ODI record, and his game, looks excellent and you'd have to say that you'd strongly expect his Test stats to be of a similar standard in time.

The likeness with Brian Lara is only too apparent for Darren Bravo and quite a player to live upto, though the way he's started his Test career those comparisons won't go away soon. Did struggle in English conditions and like Williamson has done, another stint in county cricket should certainly help his game develop.

Joe Root is getting big wraps at the moment, understandably so with his start to international cricket and he does look a real player, but his career at the very early stages, but he has bags of potential and the right kind of temperament to play defining innings under pressure. While Root has received the praise so has the England development set-up with these young players coming through as more rounded cricketers than maybe they have in the past.

So I would say currently the best of this bunch in order for me is - 1.Kohli, 2.Williamson, 3.Bravo, 4.Pujara, 5.Root
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Hughes is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way in front of Powell and they have shared a bitch together as well
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Let's quit the warmongering, hey?

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Darren Bravo is absolutely nothing to get excited about.

In answer to the thread title, Kohli, Pujara, Warner, Chandimal & Bravo from what I've seen. Powell & Bairstow have no business on such a list as yet, criminal they were mentioned whilst Chandimal & Warner were left off.

Kohli in particular has the potential to be scary good.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Nasir and Rahim with ze goods
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    none of those runs in that match should be counted

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Darren Bravo is absolutely nothing to get excited about.
    Completely disagree. The guy is a special talent and I would already choose to watch him bat ahead of most batsmen in international cricket. I think he's getting a hard time just because WW goes over the top when bigging up our youngsters. The guy has had a good start to his career and is elegance personified at the crease.

Talking about test cricket, Pujara is miles ahead of the rest, then you have Bravo and Williamson roughly equal. Root is clearly a great talent but it's too early to rank him alongside the others in the list.

ODI cricket Kohli is God, what a record he has. He might be an idiot but I enjoy watching him bat in the short formats.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Williamson isn't as good as most make him out to be tbh. Decent cricketer but I doubt he'll be near the top of this list a decade down the road.

It might not be looking too good for him right now, but for me Hughes is someone who is definitely going to be one of the apex batsmen of this generation. From other teams Pujara, Chandimal, Williamson and Root look like batsmen with great deal of pedigree and these guys have all the qualities to become the mainstay of their respective sides.

U19 Debutant
    Umesh Yadav , Starc and DeLange, Junaid, Amir (after his ban will be still young) and Pattison..

oops sorry didn't read the thread title clearly..ok batsman i like AD Mathews
    Last edited by doesitmatter; 12-03-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Pattinson is indeed a promising young batsman
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Banned
    I honestly don't get the Williamson love. I think he'll be a good bat and all but I don't think he's anywhere near as good as Pujara, Kohli, Bravo, Warner etc

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information