• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Country X all time XI in alphabetical order

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Selecting an all time XI based on alphabetical order. This may have been done before but I am trying to kill time.

For England off the top of my head

Atherton
Boycott
Compton
Dexter
Grace
Hammond
Pietersen
Russell
Statham
Trueman
Verity

Russell beats out Stewart as Statham would bat above him. Verity beats out Willis and Underwood for the final place. Dexter beats out Gower.

I did this quickly, did I miss anyone?

Any other goes for other countries?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Had a go at starting from Hobbs + Hutton, sacrifices the middle order a bit but I reckon it's a well balanced outfit. Prior/Rhodes works well at 7/8

Grace
Hobbs
Hutton
Jackson
Leyland
Pietersen
Prior
Rhodes
Statham
Trueman
Verity

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Had a go at Windies

Greenidge
Haynes
Headley
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Walcott
Walsh
...Valentine?

You run out of bowlers pretty sharpish

L Trumper

State Regular
Had a go at starting from Hobbs + Hutton, sacrifices the middle order a bit but I reckon it's a well balanced outfit. Prior/Rhodes works well at 7/8

Grace
Hobbs
Hutton
Jackson
Leyland
Pietersen
Prior
Rhodes
Trueman
Statham
Verity
Alphabetical order 'QRSTU' :ph34r:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Who opens for Australia?
Bardsley
Barnes
Bradman
Chappell
Clarke
Giffen
Gilchrist
Lindwall
Lillee
McGrath
O'Reilly

I sadly had to leave out Miller to get the bowlers in, and it would have been too much of a cheat as well to bat Warne at 11.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Had a go at Windies

Greenidge
Haynes
Headley
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Walcott
Walsh
...Valentine?

You run out of bowlers pretty sharpish
How about:

Greenidge
Haynes
Headley
Kanhai
Lara
Lloyd
Marshall
Murray
Roberts
Valentine
Walsh

Obviously you have to weaken the batting a fair bit to get some bowlers in, not to mention the absence of Sobers, but I still reckon that's a good side.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bardsley
Barnes
Bradman
Chappell
Clarke
Giffen
Gilchrist
Lindwall
Lillee
McGrath
O'Reilly

I sadly had to leave out Miller to get the bowlers in, and it would have been too much of a cheat as well to bat Warne at 11.
That is one ****ing scary looking team

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
One for South Africa - I decided that Amla's two innings as an opener trumped Goddard's one at no.4...

Amla
Barlow
Endean
Faulkner
Kallis
Lindsay
McMillan
Pollock, S
Procter
Steyn
Tayfield

Himannv

International Coach
Not exactly what the OP suggests but this is my version of it. There aren't too many options for A surprisingly.

Australia
Boon
Barnes
Bradman
Bardsley
Border
Bannerman
Blackham+
Benaud*
Bollinger
Clark
Cotter

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not exactly what the OP suggests but this is my version of it. There aren't too many options for A surprisingly.

Australia
Boon
Barnes
Bradman
Bardsley
Border
Bannerman
Blackham+
Benaud*
Bollinger
Clark
Cotter
FFS if you want to go rogue then start your own thread :p

Howe_zat

Audio File
Had a bash at a current world side

Amla
Cook
De Villiers
Kallis
Jayawardene
Pietersen
Sangakkara
Siddle
Starc
Steyn
Swann

Could easily have included Kohli/Pujara/Samuels in the middle order but can't find a way to work in Clarke or Chanders. Southee an option over Starc

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Had a bash at a current world side

Amla
Cook
De Villiers
Kallis
Jayawardene
Pietersen
Sangakkara
Siddle
Starc
Steyn
Swann

Could easily have included Kohli/Pujara/Samuels in the middle order but can't find a way to work in Clarke or Chanders. Southee an option over Starc
Would bat Jayawardene at 4 to be honest and Prior instead of Sangakkara at 7 surely?

Indian AT team would be hard under these rules, when you consider SRT has to bat at 4.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Current one

Amla (bl bro)
Cook
Chanderpaul
Clarke
Kallis
Khan (Younis)
Prior
Philander
Swann
Southee
Steyn

Technically it's not in alphabetical order due to the order of the second letter in the name (e.g Swann ahead of Southee)

Decent effort imo, 1-5 comprises of arguably the top 5 batsmen in the world. Khan isn't too bad either, though batting way out of place (possible replacements are Kohli, Faf, Pujara, Pietersen). Prior is the best keeper bat. Steyn and Philander the top 2 pacers going round, Swann #2 spinner while Southee was excellent last year.

Daemon

Are you ****ing kidding me Howe.

Multitab owned :(

edit: doesn't matter anyways, you took the less cheaty method.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Would bat Jayawardene at 4 to be honest and Prior instead of Sangakkara at 7 surely?

Indian AT team would be hard under these rules, when you consider SRT has to bat at 4.
I actually put in ABD as keeper in the first attempt and then later threw in Sanga as a pure bat, it work t'other way around I guess

Daemon

Amla
Chanderpaul
Clarke
Cook
De Villiers +
Kallis
Pietersen
Philander
Siddle
Steyn