• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Lyon deserves more respect

Mr_Ronan

Banned
I can't understand why people bag Lyon so incessantly. Yes, he has his flaws and bowled too flat at times this summer.

But 62 Test wickets at 32 is a good return from a very inexeperienced young off spinner based in a country with unhelpful pitches.

KEEP THIS IN MIND: The best three spinners in world cricket are Ajmal, Herath and Swann.

Ajmal's first 62 wickets cost him 31 apiece.
Herath - 35 apiece.
Swann - 30 apiece.

But the key point is that Lyon is WAY younger than those guys were. He's only 25, whereas they were aged 30+ when they picked up their 62nd Test wicket.

I'm not suggesting that this means he will better, or even as good, as that trio. But those stats should be kept in mind by those who talk of Lyon as though he is the worst tweaker to ever play international cricket.

He may well struggle in India. Hell, even the greatest spinner of all time Shane Warne had a tough time over there. But Lyon is still very young and green has the potential to be a very good Test spinner and could easily end up taking 200+ wickets.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well the next month will tell us more. Followed by 2 massive series against England. I am waiting to see how he does and what his record is like in 14 tests time.

Lyon isn't the worst, Australia have had many crappier spinners since Warne retired but he is no superstar in my opinion on what I have seen. He may prove me wrong though.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Well the next month will tell us more. Followed by 2 massive series against England. I am waiting to see how he does and what his record is like in 14 tests time.

Lyon isn't the worst, Australia have had many crappier spinners since Warne retired but he is no superstar in my opinion on what I have seen. He may prove me wrong though.
Nathan Hauritz did a good job imo.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
No doubt the next 16 Tests (including the 2 Tests in SA in early 2014) will reveal a lot about Lyon.

But at 25 he is very young for a spinner - as I mentioned the three best spinners in world cricket currently didn't come into their own until they were aged 30+.

It should also be noted how difficult it is to be a spinner based in Australia, which is an absolute graveyard for tweakers.

Consider the averages in Australia of the following gun spinners of recent times:

Muralitharan - 75
Kumble - 38
Swann - 40
Harbhajan - 73

Julian87

State Captain
I just hope they don't come to a conclusion after India. huge chance of having a rough series there and I am convinced he is our best option against England over there and in Australia.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
^^^ Well the last India tour ended Hauritz's career despite the fact that until then he had done a very good job.

That was under the old selection panel though so hopefully Inverarity and co. have learned from that.

He is definitely the best option going forward because unlike Doherty and Beer, he actually loops, dips and rips the ball.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree that he is unfairly maligned, has a lot of potential. But those that say he is better than Swann need a boot right up their arse (come at me Burgey!).

India's batting line-up is the weakest it has been since 1999 I reckon. I think its fair enough to expect Lyon to contribute. If he doesn't, he deserves to be called out on it.

Spikey

he probably gets maligned because he takes a lot of tailend wickets and failed to get the job done on day 5 two times in the space of a month

Top_Cat

This is what happens when a bloke gets picked without some serious game time and wickets under his belt at FC level, though. He's 25 but, spin development-wise, he's probably more like 20 and having to learn the tools of the trade at Test level is a bloody tough ask. I mean, people talk about his gun speeds and flat trajectory as if he should have had all this worked out by now but forget he was picked with bugger-all FC cricket under his belt. He debuted in FC cricket in 2011.

Really needed a season or two of winning games regularly for SA but the Test side's obsession with uncovering the next spin bowling genius has forced the situation a bit. He's definitely got the most potential of any spinner in the country but he'll take more time yet.

Last edited:

morgieb

I agree that he is unfairly maligned, has a lot of potential. But those that say he is better than Swann need a boot right up their arse (come at me Burgey!).

India's batting line-up is the weakest it has been since 1999 I reckon. I think its fair enough to expect Lyon to contribute. If he doesn't, he deserves to be called out on it.
Who reckons he is better than Swann though?

Yes, Lyon deserves more respect. He's been pretty adequate thus far for Australia.

the big bambino

International Captain
Best thing Lyon is doing is keeping Doherty and Beer out of the test team and he deserves respect for that. Must be able to sing too bcos I think he's a pretty shaky member of the team to be given the team song.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The poster I mentioned in my post.
You seem to randomly bring that up a lot though; it's weird. It's just one bloke's opinion; doesn't deserve so much attention.

It's more a commentary on how little Burgey rates Swann than him thinking Lyon is world class anyway; I reckon I rate Lyon more than Burgey does.

Burgey

You seem to randomly bring that up a lot though; it's weird. It's just one bloke's opinion; doesn't deserve so much attention.

It's more a commentary on how little Burgey rates Swann than him thinking Lyon is world class anyway; I reckon I rate Lyon more than Burgey does.
Yeah it's a combination of both tbh. I think Lyon is a good bowler and would have some pretty eye catching numbers for a young finger spinner playing here if he had a keeper in his side.

Swan is the most monumentally over rated player on earth IMO. Has a couple of good years but is apparently brilliant because people think he's funny and because he has a stupid looking chin.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Look, I'm trying to make it the modern day Nasser Hussain/Matthew Hayden. Don't derail my campaign.