Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Lyon deserves more respect

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    We have only ever won a handful of matches in India and our current strength is fast bowling whilst our weakness in batting is playing spin (well, we have lots of weaknesses in our batting but playing spin is at the top of the list :laugh)

The only "disappointment" is that if the 2 exact same teams played in Oz atm, we'd win 4-0 again

Reality is that it is being played in India not Australia

Gambhir taunts Aussie batsmen | Australia Cricket, Live Cricket, Cricket Scores | Fox Sports

Classic

Remind me where this overrated (well maybe he's not overrated as no-one rates him), overpaid hack is playing this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    I seriously would leave the spinning duties to Clarke and Warner tbh. If none of the spinners can do much then it's not worth picking them.
    He's bowled better than Siddle and Starc on the whole, and India aren't going to throw up any pitches that will help those two or the other pace bowlers in the squad

yeah I genuinely feel that Dhoni was more worried about Lyon than any other bowler, at least at the start of his innings.

Yep.

Dhoni hit Lyon off his length, which was a ballsy strategy. If that first shot he played, when he charged, had not fallen short of mid-wicket, but instead been caught, different ball game.

Lyon made the Indians think. Sure, the Indians won, but they had to fight for it. Starc and Siddle did not trouble the Indians on the whole, bar a good over here or there.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    What sort of fan wouldn't care if their side lost..
    Aussies, in general, aren't phased by losing in India. It's almost a shock when the Test side wins anything, let alone a series so the emotional investment isn't anywhere near as great as for a series against England or the WI, for example. Especially so since we know India are going to get similarly hammered when they come here.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

The emotional investment of a series vs. WI is more than a series vs. India?

I find that hard to believe. Obviously England and even SA yes... But WI?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    I guess West Indies has a lot of history, but I do find it hard to believe that present day Australians get more pumped about a game against West Indies than they do a game against India.

Would put WI above SA, tbh. I'm talking non-cricket nerd circle(jerk)s. Series against teams like SA and India don't capture the average punter in the same way. SA came here as the best side in the world yet I bet attendances at the WI series a couple of years ago were better. Some of the attendances for the SA series were abysmal.

Only my cricket nerd friends give a **** about SA and India. Everyone else is waiting for the next Ashes or WI series.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 24-02-2013 at 04:49 PM.

I honestly think you're wrong about that, but can't prove it really.

I think even non cricket-nerds understand that India and South Africa are bigger series (Tendulkar, bigger Indian population that surrounds them etc.) and I bet they know more players from those teams than West Indies, and in general give more of a **** about beating them.

*shrug*

More people show up to see the others. It doesn't utterly prove my point, of course, but it's a factor. I know a few guys in the industry and the general feeling is that teams like WI and England are an easier sell to get people to the games. Attendances at the India series two summers ago were really good but that was put down to India being near number 1 at the time, last chance to see Sachin, etc. They're terrified of the next time India tour.

That's because Adelaide has like 3 people of Indian descent. The rest of the population are a bunch of Lleyton Hewitts.

In all seriousness, surely the fact that WI series have been cut down from 5 to 3 in recent times suggests that no one gives a **** about seeing Denesh Ramdin.

Anyway, not really worth arguing over. Just agree to disagree.

Defs agree with Jono here. Maybe 7/8 years ago when Lara was still around WI had some appeal, but from what I've noticed amongst friends etc. they take a lot more interest in SA/Ind matches than WI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    That's because Adelaide has like 3 people of Indian descent.
    Oh yeah, do you know them?

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    They have the best young batsmen in the world and the next curtly ambrose in their team. Not to mention the one of the best spinners in the world too.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information