• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Lyon deserves more respect

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
We have only ever won a handful of matches in India and our current strength is fast bowling whilst our weakness in batting is playing spin (well, we have lots of weaknesses in our batting but playing spin is at the top of the list :laugh)

The only "disappointment" is that if the 2 exact same teams played in Oz atm, we'd win 4-0 again

Reality is that it is being played in India not Australia

Gambhir taunts Aussie batsmen | Australia Cricket, Live Cricket, Cricket Scores | Fox Sports

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I seriously would leave the spinning duties to Clarke and Warner tbh. If none of the spinners can do much then it's not worth picking them.
He's bowled better than Siddle and Starc on the whole, and India aren't going to throw up any pitches that will help those two or the other pace bowlers in the squad

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I genuinely feel that Dhoni was more worried about Lyon than any other bowler, at least at the start of his innings.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep.

Dhoni hit Lyon off his length, which was a ballsy strategy. If that first shot he played, when he charged, had not fallen short of mid-wicket, but instead been caught, different ball game.

Lyon made the Indians think. Sure, the Indians won, but they had to fight for it. Starc and Siddle did not trouble the Indians on the whole, bar a good over here or there.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What sort of fan wouldn't care if their side lost..
Aussies, in general, aren't phased by losing in India. It's almost a shock when the Test side wins anything, let alone a series so the emotional investment isn't anywhere near as great as for a series against England or the WI, for example. Especially so since we know India are going to get similarly hammered when they come here.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The emotional investment of a series vs. WI is more than a series vs. India?

I find that hard to believe. Obviously England and even SA yes... But WI?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I guess West Indies has a lot of history, but I do find it hard to believe that present day Australians get more pumped about a game against West Indies than they do a game against India.

Top_Cat

Would put WI above SA, tbh. I'm talking non-cricket nerd circle(jerk)s. Series against teams like SA and India don't capture the average punter in the same way. SA came here as the best side in the world yet I bet attendances at the WI series a couple of years ago were better. Some of the attendances for the SA series were abysmal.

Only my cricket nerd friends give a **** about SA and India. Everyone else is waiting for the next Ashes or WI series.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I honestly think you're wrong about that, but can't prove it really.

I think even non cricket-nerds understand that India and South Africa are bigger series (Tendulkar, bigger Indian population that surrounds them etc.) and I bet they know more players from those teams than West Indies, and in general give more of a **** about beating them.

Top_Cat

*shrug*

More people show up to see the others. It doesn't utterly prove my point, of course, but it's a factor. I know a few guys in the industry and the general feeling is that teams like WI and England are an easier sell to get people to the games. Attendances at the India series two summers ago were really good but that was put down to India being near number 1 at the time, last chance to see Sachin, etc. They're terrified of the next time India tour.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's because Adelaide has like 3 people of Indian descent. The rest of the population are a bunch of Lleyton Hewitts.

In all seriousness, surely the fact that WI series have been cut down from 5 to 3 in recent times suggests that no one gives a **** about seeing Denesh Ramdin.

Anyway, not really worth arguing over. Just agree to disagree.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Defs agree with Jono here. Maybe 7/8 years ago when Lara was still around WI had some appeal, but from what I've noticed amongst friends etc. they take a lot more interest in SA/Ind matches than WI.

Daemon

They have the best young batsmen in the world and the next curtly ambrose in their team. Not to mention the one of the best spinners in the world too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Defs agree with Jono here. Maybe 7/8 years ago when Lara was still around WI had some appeal, but from what I've noticed amongst friends etc. they take a lot more interest in SA/Ind matches than WI.
Yeah, agree.

Ashes still definitely gets the most interest regardless of how good England are at the time but I think most people appreciate that the West Indies are **** these days and get more amped for India and South Africa, even casual fans.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
So on a pitch where Graeme Swann would have been annoyed (to say the least) not to gt a side out for under 300 (and if Monty had the harness on as well the score would likely be a lot less) Lyon goes for well over 200 himself at 4.5 per over.

Not very 'respectable'.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep.

Dhoni hit Lyon off his length, which was a ballsy strategy. If that first shot he played, when he charged, had not fallen short of mid-wicket, but instead been caught, different ball game.

Lyon made the Indians think. Sure, the Indians won, but they had to fight for it. Starc and Siddle did not trouble the Indians on the whole, bar a good over here or there.
Yep he had the Indians thinking about the sweepstake on when they'd bring up his double century.

It is a stretch to shoehorn positives out of 3-215, going at more than 4 and a half an over when the Indian spinners have 17 out of 17 Aussie wickets to fall. He won't be the first or last bowler to do that in India, true.

A spinner should be in the side to provide variety, take wickets when not much happens and when things are in their favour to win Test matches. Lyon hasn't really done a great deal besides clean up some tailenders and I really cannot fathom what the fuss is about. What exactly is his role in the Australian team?