• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Lyon deserves more respect

Mr_Ronan

Banned
Will all the stereotypical VB drinking bogans change their minds on refugees if Fawad spins us to back-to-back Ashes victories?
I actually just read a story on the Daily Mail website about how a small group of anti-refugee activists protested outside the MCG where he was playing today. This is the story:

Activists Picket Aussie Refugee Cricketer
February 21, 2013
By Stuart Shackleton

Australian anti-refugee activists today staged a protest against the selection in the Victorian cricket side of a Pakistani player who came to the country seeking asylum.

The small band of protestors gathered outside the Melbourne Cricket Ground on the last day of play between Queensland and Victoria, who had provided a State debut to Fawad Ahmed, 33, who succesfully sought asylum in Australia to escape persecution in Pakistan.

Police moved on the protestors, who were allegedly making inflammatory chants, including one in which they yelled in unison: "Cricket's for us, Cricket's for us, wear whites, be white and that's alright. Cricket's for you, Cricket's for you, as long as your Aussie and not some brown dude."

The officers also removed from one of the protestors a sign which read, "Shihad were a great band but Jihad is a bad plan."

Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland said he was shocked by the behaviour of the protestors who were "appalling in their discriminatory actions, despite their ability to craft a catchy slogan".

One Victorian fan who witnessed the protest described it as "really fully bad". "As far as I'm concerned it shouldn't matter where your'e from, if you can play cricket heaps good who cares if you are a different looking dark sort of fella."

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gets more than his fair share of 'respect' on CW. I'm not sure what the situation is with the general Australian public.

Don't think he's a very good bowler yet but it isn't hard to see him developing into one by simply playing more cricket.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
When you've played so little FC cricket you're always playing catch up and the better batsmen will find you out a lot quicker than the more experienced twirlers, what gets me with Lyon though is he looks so basic, in a world where most of the new spinners tend to have a trick or two up their sleeve Lyon is just plane old Jane really,

Him and Narine have similar stories, both never played a lot of Fc games before playing Test cricket, they are close in age too (Narine is 24), so it will be interesting to see who develops the most over the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, Lyon certainly deserves more love. He's extremely underrated.

Swann is the most monumentally over rated player on earth IMO. Has a couple of good years but is apparently brilliant because people think he's funny and because he has a stupid looking chin.
I agree thoroughly with this post.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Calling it now, Lyon will be Australia's highest wicket taker in England.
Presumably because the seamers will be getting dropped, injured, rotated etc.

The Lyon love-in and Swann hate on CW is laughable. Lyon has decent figures, but only because he keeps bowling at tailenders. Swann is miles ahead of him even if you exclude the batting/fielding, but the way many people on here go on you'd think it's neck and neck.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
Swann is definitely a far better spinner than Lyon...at this point. But Lyon is ahead of where Swann was at 25 years old.

And the comparison with Narine is apt. Although the Windies tweaker has averaged 48 with the ball in his first 5 Tests so is still a way behind Lyon as a Test bowler.

Narine has had a phenonemal start to his limited overs career. But it'll be interesting to see if he can adapt his style, which is certainly best suited to limited overs, to the toughest form of the game.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I actually just read a story on the Daily Mail website about how a small group of anti-refugee activists protested outside the MCG where he was playing today. This is the story:

February 21, 2013
By Stuart Shackleton

Australian anti-refugee activists today staged a protest against the selection in the Victorian cricket side of a Pakistani player who came to the country seeking asylum.

The small band of protestors gathered outside the Melbourne Cricket Ground on the last day of play between Queensland and Victoria, who had provided a State debut to Fawad Ahmed, 33, who succesfully sought asylum in Australia to escape persecution in Pakistan.

Police moved on the protestors, who were allegedly making inflammatory chants, including one in which they yelled in unison: "Cricket's for us, Cricket's for us, wear whites, be white and that's alright. Cricket's for you, Cricket's for you, as long as your Aussie and not some brown dude."

The officers also removed from one of the protestors a sign which read, "Shihad were a great band but Jihad is a bad plan."

Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland said he was shocked by the behaviour of the protestors who were "appalling in their discriminatory actions, despite their ability to craft a catchy slogan".

One Victorian fan who witnessed the protest described it as "really fully bad". "As far as I'm concerned it shouldn't matter where your'e from, if you can play cricket heaps good who cares if you are a different looking dark sort of fella."
I searched the web and could not find this. A joke article? Anyway, the Shihad slogan made me lol whether it's real or not.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

February 21, 2013
By Stuart Shackleton

Haven't heard a thing about that in any Aussie media tbh.

All the rednecks are up here tonight anyway to see Geert speak.

the big bambino

International Captain
Will all the stereotypical VB drinking bogans change their minds on refugees if Fawad spins us to back-to-back Ashes victories?
If he'd got on a boat and threw away his passport he probably would have qualified by now. Which is both fair and compassionate I think.

the big bambino

International Captain
Gets more than his fair share of 'respect' on CW. I'm not sure what the situation is with the general Australian public.

Don't think he's a very good bowler yet but it isn't hard to see him developing into one by simply playing more cricket.
Mate he got a Michelle recently I think. For an Aussie spinner thats almost mythological. Get him in now!