Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Lyon deserves more respect

Smith is about as much a bowler as Warner at the moment. He gave up bowling altogether for basically the whole season. He's on tour as a spare bat.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Jono is bang on with what he says there. The Aussies have to drop a paceman (probably be Starc) and play an extra spinner (Smith) if only to strengthen the batting a bit and give Lyon a hand with the spin department.

India are vulnerable, they showed that against England as Sehwag and Tendulkar are clearly in decline and even without Gambhir the openers look suspect so early wickets are always likely in an innings to keep the Aussies in a game. It just happens that when the game looked fairly level Dhoni played his greatest ever knock and virtually won the game in a few hours.

Kneejerk wholesale changes are the last thing Australia need at present, just one less paceman and an extra spinner and maybe carry one less passenger bat who is clueless against spin (if Watson can't bowl he brings nothing to the team on a tour like this) as surely Usman can play it a bit better than Watto?
    Smith can't bowl and as much as I love Usman, he's not a better batsmen than Watson.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Smith is about as much a bowler as Warner at the moment. He gave up bowling altogether for basically the whole season. He's on tour as a spare bat.
    Be more use on those pitches than a paceman though presuming that they don't play on one like Kolkata a few months ago.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Smith can't bowl and as much as I love Usman, he's not a better batsmen than Watson.
    Doherty it is then.

Though he'd have more chance of wickets on these pitches than Siddle and Starc would.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Be more use on those pitches than a paceman though presuming that they don't play on one like Kolkata a few months ago.
    As much as I don't think they're within six or seven levels of being Test standard bowlers, both Doherty and Maxwell are better bwleors than Smith at the moment.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Any clips of O'Keefe bowling? Is he really that bad that his stats can completely be disregarded?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    he's not bad. he's just so meh. he doesn't catch the eyes. doesn't excite. doesn't make you stand up and say "that's a test cricketer". which is btw how we pick our spinners nowadays. and then consider that SOK was horrible last season (average of 50+, SR of like 150 in 7 games). like to the extent every ****er who said "nup. this guy ain't a test cricketer" would have been laughing to the bank. he basically undid all his good work stats wise last season. he's starting from scratch. if he had the season doherty had last season (average of 25-30) he'd be there, doubts over him and all. but last season he proved those doubts.

anyway there's like two balls in here Pietersen Fails Again : Ashes - YouTube
    Last edited by Spikey; 25-02-2013 at 05:33 AM.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    he's not bad. he's just so meh. he doesn't catch the eyes. doesn't excite. doesn't make you stand up and say "that's a test cricketer". which is btw how we pick our spinners nowadays. and then consider that SOK was horrible last season (average of 50+, SR of like 150 in 7 games). like to the extent every ****er who said "nup. this guy ain't a test cricketer" would have been laughing to the bank. he basically undid all his good work stats wise last season. he's starting from scratch. if he had the season doherty had last season (average of 25-30) he'd be there, doubts over him and all. but last season he proved those doubts.

Bit rough when you consider that he has taken 17 wickets @ 26 this season whilst Doherty has taken 2 @ 80

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post

thanks, didn't know he had such a poor 2011/12. He's doing well atm though isn't he?

couple of the papers are running with stuff like

The whisper is that O'Keefe is out of favour with heavy hitters in Australian cricket. But using form as a barometer, he had to be on the plane.
    today. now i find this hard to believe mainly because the dude got made NSW captain.......but i should note that i feel like the same thing got said about Copeland (perhaps be a user on here rather than in the papers.) after the new selection panel came in. it seems weird that two very similar bowlers (eg doing the goods at state level, don't scream test success) would get the hard to handle tag rather than the easy to handle at test level tag...

Copeland's mother is much harder to handle than Copeland himself. Does him a great dis-service.

i need to say a picture of her with an angry look on her face and standing outside the SCG before I believe that

I could probably get you one tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yeah agreed. He's a very good bowler but realistically his average will rise over time, he just doesn't have that extra gear required to get really good players in all conditions.

That said, it's one thing getting favourable wickets, it's another to perform on them so he is no mug.

All aside, he's a guy who has an opinion on a lot of things and rightly or wrongly I've heard that hasn't helped his cause. Can occasionally happen with country boys.
    knew it was Andre who said it. WAG

So Lyon gets smashed by Dhoni. It can happen to the best. Only a couple of months ago it was Dernbach.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information