Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Lyon deserves more respect

Quote Originally Posted by Johnners View Post
    Defs agree with Jono here. Maybe 7/8 years ago when Lara was still around WI had some appeal, but from what I've noticed amongst friends etc. they take a lot more interest in SA/Ind matches than WI.
    Yeah, agree.

Ashes still definitely gets the most interest regardless of how good England are at the time but I think most people appreciate that the West Indies are **** these days and get more amped for India and South Africa, even casual fans.
    ~ Cribbage

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    They have the best young batsmen in the world and the next curtly ambrose in their team. Not to mention the one of the best spinners in the world too.
    LOL the first five efforts to "mock" weren't enough i see!! .
    One Day cups- Champions trophy winners-T20 cup-29 test series without defeat record- and some think we're a "minnow".

So on a pitch where Graeme Swann would have been annoyed (to say the least) not to gt a side out for under 300 (and if Monty had the harness on as well the score would likely be a lot less) Lyon goes for well over 200 himself at 4.5 per over.

Not very 'respectable'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yep.

Dhoni hit Lyon off his length, which was a ballsy strategy. If that first shot he played, when he charged, had not fallen short of mid-wicket, but instead been caught, different ball game.

Lyon made the Indians think. Sure, the Indians won, but they had to fight for it. Starc and Siddle did not trouble the Indians on the whole, bar a good over here or there.
    Yep he had the Indians thinking about the sweepstake on when they'd bring up his double century.

It is a stretch to shoehorn positives out of 3-215, going at more than 4 and a half an over when the Indian spinners have 17 out of 17 Aussie wickets to fall. He won't be the first or last bowler to do that in India, true.

A spinner should be in the side to provide variety, take wickets when not much happens and when things are in their favour to win Test matches. Lyon hasn't really done a great deal besides clean up some tailenders and I really cannot fathom what the fuss is about. What exactly is his role in the Australian team?
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    uh to bowl spin
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

hasnt been the same without the blonde bits
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    in hindsight it was silly to expect anything good outta a guy who was born in Young, moved to Canberra in his teens and then moved to Adelaide

good point

Anyone else get the impression Scaly has never seen Lyon bowl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnners View Post
    Anyone else get the impression Scaly has never seen Lyon bowl?
    Scaly hates cricket
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Yep he had the Indians thinking about the sweepstake on when they'd bring up his double century.

It is a stretch to shoehorn positives out of 3-215, going at more than 4 and a half an over when the Indian spinners have 17 out of 17 Aussie wickets to fall. He won't be the first or last bowler to do that in India, true.

A spinner should be in the side to provide variety, take wickets when not much happens and when things are in their favour to win Test matches. Lyon hasn't really done a great deal besides clean up some tailenders and I really cannot fathom what the fuss is about. What exactly is his role in the Australian team?
    cleaning up tailenders is a pretty useful role in combination with Australia's pace attack, IMO.

Also, meh. He got smashed by Dhoni. No shame in it. Wasn't looking bad until after he got Tendulkar.
    Last edited by hendrix; 25-02-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Decent spinner in getting smashed by India shocker.

Some people seem to be forgetting Swann/Panesar were the exception, and that is why their performance is so lauded. Most of the time it's one way traffic when you put a spinner in front of India.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Scaly you are right about that. India are probably most vulnerable since 1999/2000.

But that doesn't mean Australia should drop Lyon or his place should be at risk, even if he couldn't make significant inroads against a vulnerable Indian batting lineup. Why? Because he out bowled Siddle and Starc. It doesn't matter that the pitches didn't suit them, they aren't for the next 3 tests either.

Lyon bowling reasonably poorly still looked more threatening than Starc and Siddle. Hence if a bowler i to be dropped for the next test, whether it be for a spinner or pace bowler, it should be Starc or Siddle.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Jono is bang on with what he says there. The Aussies have to drop a paceman (probably be Starc) and play an extra spinner (Smith) if only to strengthen the batting a bit and give Lyon a hand with the spin department.

India are vulnerable, they showed that against England as Sehwag and Tendulkar are clearly in decline and even without Gambhir the openers look suspect so early wickets are always likely in an innings to keep the Aussies in a game. It just happens that when the game looked fairly level Dhoni played his greatest ever knock and virtually won the game in a few hours.

Kneejerk wholesale changes are the last thing Australia need at present, just one less paceman and an extra spinner and maybe carry one less passenger bat who is clueless against spin (if Watson can't bowl he brings nothing to the team on a tour like this) as surely Usman can play it a bit better than Watto?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information