• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre ODI ODI team

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Made up of guys who didn't play ODIs

- Don Bradman
- Neil Harvey
- Graeme Pollock
- Everton Weekes
- Dennis Compton
- Keith Miller *
- Mike Procter
- Ray Lindwall
- Hedley Verity
- Godfrey Evans +
- CTB Turner

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Reckon the pace Bill O'Reilly bowled at would have made him a very tricky customer in ODI's.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Great idea for a thread Monk. For what it's worth.....

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Frank Woolley
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Stan McCabe
06. Keith Miller
07. Mike Procter
08. Alan Davidson
09. Ray Lindwall
10. Godfrey Evans
11. Bill O'Reilly

Here is a scorecard I quite like. It features a triple century scored by Frank Woolley in 1912 against Tasmania. Admittedly a triple century against Tasmania is never a big deal, but this one occured in 205minutes, or less than 2 sessions!

Tasmania v Marylebone Cricket Club at Hobart, 26-29 Jan 1912

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head:

Victor Trumper
Barry Richards
George Headley
Donald Bradman*
Graeme Pollock
Keith Miller
Mike Procter
Les Ames+
Bill O'Reilly
Harold Larwood
Sydney Barnes

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He would've been the best of them all.
Indeed. He would've been the most valuable player of them all. Hard-hitting no. 6 batsman who could be an excellent defensive option to bowl 10 and field like a panther.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Indeed. He would've been the most valuable player of them all. Hard-hitting no. 6 batsman who could be an excellent defensive option to bowl 10 and field like a panther.
In this ATG scenario, if we forget Sober's one ODI, and include him, he provides massive variety in combo with Miller. You could open the batting with them (which would be ****ing awesome), and there's 20 of your 50 overs to be bowled sorted!

- Garry Sobers
- Keith Miller *
- Don Bradman
- Everton Weekes
- Graeme Pollock
- Frank Wooley
- Neil Harvey
- Les Ames +
- Hedley Verity
- Richie Benaud
- Ray Lindwall

Harvey, Weekes, Miller, Sobers, Lindwall and Benaud all very good fielders.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
In this ATG scenario, if we forget Sober's one ODI, and include him, he provides massive variety in combo with Miller. You could open the batting with them (which would be ****ing awesome), and there's 20 of your 50 overs to be bowled sorted!

- Garry Sobers
- Keith Miller *
- Don Bradman
- Everton Weekes
- Graeme Pollock
- Frank Wooley
- Neil Harvey
- Les Ames +
- Hedley Verity
- Richie Benaud
- Ray Lindwall

Harvey, Weekes, Miller, Sobers, Lindwall and Benaud all very good fielders.
Bradman was also an excellent fielder. I'll throw in some names that haven't been mentioned so far, Gilbert Jessop and Jack Gregory. Both were hard hitting strokeplayers, especially Jessop and are owners of the two fastest (in terms of time) test centuries. Both were also very useful bowlers, though Jessop never really shone at an international level, and Gregory only had a few good series. Jessop was also excellent at cover "the undisputed master of that position), and Gregory a fine slipper, having been compared to Wally Hammond.

Both would be very exciting and useful ODI players, if they'd had the chance.

Himannv

International Coach
I'd probably go with something like this:

01. Barry Richards
02. Frank Wooley
03. Don Bradman
04. Ted Dexter
05. Keith Miller
06. Gilbert Jessop
07. Les Ames+
08. Jack Gregory
09. Richie Benaud*
10. Fred Trueman
11. Bill O'Reilly

Tempted to throw Neil Harvey and Bert Sutcliffe in there somewhere but it's hard to say who they could replace.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Barry Richards
2. Denis Compton
3. Don Bradman
4. Clyde Walcott +
5. Keith Miller [4]
6. Frank Woolley [6]
7. Neil Harvey
8. Mike Procter [3]
9. Harold Larwood [1]
10. Bill O'Reilly [5]
11. SF Barnes [2]

12. Stan McCabe

Compton opening with Richards makes up for his less-than-stellar running between the wickets. I mean, if Watson can succeed there with his running, Compton can too. Richards is tasked with batting late into the innings while scoring quickly, while Compton has a license in the PowerPlay. Bradman is Bradman. Walcott at 4 can keep the momentum going, and the middle order of Miller and Woolley will have runs flowing and adds bowling depth. Neil Harvey at 7 plays the Bevan/Mussey style finishing role, with Procter batting at 8 showing the quality there.

Bowling wise, you have Larwood opening with Barnes - a contrasting opening pair. Then Procter and O'Reilly's unorthodoxy would prove difficult to get away, with Miller blasting batsmen out in short, sharp spells. Woolley to provide a good sixth option (and field at slip).

No Charles Macartney, and McCabe carrying the drinks pains me somewhat. Could slot either of them in for Compton, and shift Walcott to open.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
I think I'll start with some national XI's before getting to the question at hand.

I'll kick off with Australia

Victor Trumper
Donald Bradman
Charlie Macartenay
Stan McCabe
Kieth Miller*
Neil Harvey
Billy Murdoch+
Jack Gregory
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Bill O'reilly

With Richie Benaud, Clem Hill, Monty Noble and Arthur Morris rounding out the touring squad

More tomorrow

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
India:
Vinoo Mankad
Vijay Merchant
Vijay Hazare
MAK Pataudi*
ML Jaisimha
Farokh Engineer+
Lala Amarnath