• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre ODI ODI team

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
India:
Vinoo Mankad
Vijay Merchant
Vijay Hazare
MAK Pataudi*
ML Jaisimha
Farokh Engineer+
Lala Amarnath
Subhash Gupte
Amar Singh
Erapalli Prasanna
Mohammad Nissar
Got to have Colonel in there..CK was know for his attacking batting..Him hitting big sixes is part of Indian cricketing folklore..

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Got to have Colonel in there..CK was know for his attacking batting..Him hitting big sixes were part of Indian cricketing folklore..Somebody write an article please :)
Ya, I considered Nayudu in place of Lala. I just preferred to have a third pace option.

I nominate SJS for writing the article btw :)

Edit: Nayudu is place of Prasanna won't be very bad either IMO. Nissar+Amar Singh+Lala Amarnath+Gupte+Mankad(+Nayudu, if required) might manage the 50 overs.

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Agreed..Don't forget Vijay Hazare..he can bowl medium pace as well ..supposed to have taken Don's wicket thrice :) and that is something..

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Barry Richards
Keith Miller
Don Bradman (*)
Charlie Macartney
John R Reid
Ranjitsinhji
Mike Proctor
Denis Lindsay (+)
Ray Lindwall
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmett

12th man: Colin Bland

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Glibert Jessop would surely be in there.

One of the quickest scorers of all time.

Outstanding fielder.

Decent support pace bowler.

George Hirst and Learie Constantine would have been useful too.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
How do you guys think great wicketkeepers, who didn't focus on their batting would have gone in ODI's? e.g Tallon, Oldfield. I mean, there would probably be quite a few more chances to be taken, with batsmen playing far more recklessly, but does that outweigh the loss of batting strength in this format?

Guess we've kinda seen this in the modern game, i.e Sri Lanka. You don't see Prasanna playing ODIs

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McCartney a stand out contender imo. Anyone who tells his opening partner to watch out for the first ball then smashes it back past them and tells them "Try to hit the first one back at the bowler. They don't like it, it rattles 'em" deserves a shot.

I think he made 345 in about 4 hours in a tour match once too.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
How do you guys think great wicketkeepers, who didn't focus on their batting would have gone in ODI's? e.g Tallon, Oldfield. I mean, there would probably be quite a few more chances to be taken, with batsmen playing far more recklessly, but does that outweigh the loss of batting strength in this format?

Guess we've kinda seen this in the modern game, i.e Sri Lanka. You don't see Prasanna playing ODIs
Nah, the nature of the game means that more chances are created, so missing one behind the stumps won't be as costly as in a Test, IMO. Plus you need the batting depth. A guy like Ames or Walcott wasn't exactly in the Matthew Wade mould of not being able to wicketkeep anyway.

watson

Banned
McCartney a stand out contender imo. Anyone who tells his opening partner to watch out for the first ball then smashes it back past them and tells them "Try to hit the first one back at the bowler. They don't like it, it rattles 'em" deserves a shot.

I think he made 345 in about 4 hours in a tour match once too.
It's interesting that both Macartney and Woolley indicated their personal preference for opening the batting - but did so only occasionally.

So I think that I'll indulge them. Macartney and Woolley to open the batting and bring up the 100 after 15 overs as a matter of course.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed..Don't forget Vijay Hazare..he can bowl medium pace as well ..supposed to have taken Don's wicket thrice :) and that is something..
Oops, how could I forget Hazare's bowling!!! Ya, Nayudu for Prasanna then I think..

Vinoo Mankad
Vijay Merchant
Vijay Hazare
ML Jaisimha
MAK Pataudi*
Farokh Engineer+
CK Nayudu
Lala Amarnath
Subhash Gupte
Amar Singh
Mohammad Nissar

watson

Banned
England Pre-ODI ODI XI

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Frank Woolley
03. Denis Compton
04. Walter Hammond
05. Ted Dexter
06. Patsy Hendren
07. Les Ames
08. Maurice Tate
09. Harold Larwood
10. Brian Statham
11. Sydney Barnes

Note: Hammond, with Dexter and Woolley in support, should be able to bowl 10 reasonable overs between them.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Oops, how could I forget Hazare's bowling!!! Ya, Nayudu for Prasanna then I think..

Vinoo Mankad
Vijay Merchant
Vijay Hazare
ML Jaisimha
MAK Pataudi*
Farokh Engineer+
CK Nayudu
Lala Amarnath
Subhash Gupte
Amar Singh
Mohammad Nissar
In fact, I should swap Jaisimha and Hazare in the batting lineup - yes, definitely.

stumpski

International Captain
Farokh Engineer played in a few ODIs didn't he, all in England in fact.

Amazed that it took 25 posts for someone to mention Learie Constantine.

Last edited:

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
After consideration:

World XI:

Victor Trumper: Spectacular free scorong batsman, good fielder
Jack Hobbs: Could anchor the innings, lead the charge, on anything in between. Great cover fielder and capable of fiddling a few overs if required.
Charlie McCartney: Powerhouse batsman, good SLA bowler
Graeme Pollock/Wally Hammond: Hammond#s decent support seam bowling and outstanding fielding might get him the nod but so might Pollock being a southpaw.
Gilbert Jessop: Legendary fast scorer, outstanding cover fielder and another very useful back up bowler.
Keith Miller: Almost made for the One Day game
Albert Trott: Hard hitting batsman, reputedly bowled everything from slow leg breaks to fast stuff, sometimes all in the same over.
George Hirst: Powerfull batsman with a great temperament for late in the innings. Big hearted left arm pace bowler.
"Jock" Cameron: Quick scoring batsman and fine keeper.
Harold Larwood: Notably accurate fast bowler who could move the old ball around. No mug with the bat.
Hedley Verity: Bradman rated him the most difficult bowler he played against because "there was no breaking point with him". Ideal mentalityfor the game. Decent late order batsman.

England XI:
Hobbs
MacLaren/Stoddart
Hammond
Compton
Jessop
Crawford (very good FM bowler - hard hitting batsman)
Hirst
Evans
Tate
Larwood
Verity

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
On reflection....

- Trumper
- Woolley
- Miller
- Bradman
- McCartney
- Ames
- Gregory
- Davidson
- Lindwall
- Larwood
- Grimmett

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Farokh Engineer played in a few ODIs didn't he, all in England in fact.
Didn't know that...we should probably make Manjrekar keep in that case:

Vinoo Mankad
Vijay Merchant
Vijay Hazare
Vijay Manjrekar+
ML Jaisimha
MAK Pataudi*
CK Nayudu
Lala Amarnath
Subhash Gupte
Amar Singh
Mohammad Nissar

Edit: Just noticed 3 Vijay's at nos. 2-4. Awesome :)

Last edited: