• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Great Bowling Allrounders and ODI cricket - A Poll

Who is most likely to perform the best in a 50 over ODI World Cup Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watson

Banned
An interesting discussion opened up recently in 'The ATG ODI World XIs Game' thread regarding the relative merits of Kapil Dev and Imran Khan.

And so after the discussion I was wondering what the general concensus might be with respect to rating the great 'Bowling Allrounders' in the ODI format. Namely;

01. Ian Botham
02. Kapil Dev
03. Richard Hadlee
04. Imran Khan
05. Keith Miller
06. Mike Procter

My Question is:
Who is most likely to perform the best in a 50 over ODI World Cup Final?

The Parameters are:
They would bat in the No.7 position, and bowl 10 overs. Both opposing teams are 'Gold Tier', or close to it.

Note:
I have included Keith Miller because Jager will get upset if I don't, and who knows, Miller may get man-of-the-match anyway. Mike Procter didn't play any ODIs, but he played enough limited over matches in County cricket to give a reasonable idea of his talents. And so I have included him also.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well batting at 7 might be a bit high for Wasim but seeing as he turned a final on it's head he should come into the mix as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd rather have Pollock than the lot.

Probably Flintoff too actually, although I'd rather he batted slightly higher.

smash84

The Tiger King
In a world cup final I'd take Imran because he usually played well under pressure

For number 7 in the death overs Kapil might be preferable if quick runs are needed. If somebody is needed to stay at the wicket then Imran.

watson

Banned
I'd rather have Pollock than the lot.

Probably Flintoff too actually, although I'd rather he batted slightly higher.
Yes, I should have added Pollock and Flintoff. So feel free to add them to the poll if possible.

Trouble is, they keep slipping under my ATG radar for some reason.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Kapil Dev is an awesome outfielder as well ..athletic and with a strong arm. Every run has to be saved in a WC final. If the opponent is the marauding WIs just go with Kapil Devils :).. man was awesome against them..most natural of cricketers..

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Miller would've been the greatest ODI player of all time had he been born in this era. Legit opening bowler who would absolutely cane the bowling batting at #3 or #4 (or #7), especially with a modern bat. Procter would've been something to see too.

Out of the guys who actually played, I'd take Kapil for this role of #7 batsman and 4th or 5th bowler. Was an incredibly powerful batsman, and a very clever crafty bowler.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran performed best under pressure.
Of all rounders as I said above i'd throw in Wasim. At least he has done it in the biggest ODI game of all and basically won that match with his brilliant spell of bowling. Have any of the others on the list done it?

I think actually having it in the bank means more than a hypothetical argument.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
And he failed in the 99 final. That was a shameful loss and the moment Wasti got out to McGrath, I knew we would lose the match.

Remember some Pakistani guy saying that he would dance naked through the streets of London if Pak won the final. :laugh:

watson

Banned
There seems to be a fair amount of admiration for Mike Procter in this thread. However, I don't recall any nominations for Procter in the 'The ATG ODI World XIs Game' which I find a bit odd.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry wasn't a serious post, prob should have made that clearer.

I try and bring up Viv whenever possible to annoy PEWS and Thierry Henry, who don't like him or anyone that has an aura (suck it PEWS :ph34r:)

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I think for the ATG ODI game you need to have played an ODI, sadly =/
Although Clive Rice occasionally makes an ATG team during one of our many Drafts. And he didn't play any official Test matches.

Also, Barry Richards and Mike Procter played precious few Test matches and are often rated ATGs in the Test arena.

It seems that when talent and skill is very very obvious then the 'need to have played' principle is allowed to be put to one side.