View Poll Results: Who is most likely to perform the best in a 50 over ODI World Cup Final?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ian Botham

1 4.76%
  • Kapil Dev

8 38.10%
  • Richard Hadlee

1 4.76%
  • Imran Khan

3 14.29%
  • Keith Miller

3 14.29%
  • Mike Procter

5 23.81%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Great Bowling Allrounders and ODI cricket - A Poll

I don't think that Viv Richards was a 'Bowling Allrounder'. Although he did bat a bit from what I can gather.

Sorry wasn't a serious post, prob should have made that clearer.

I try and bring up Viv whenever possible to annoy PEWS and Thierry Henry, who don't like him or anyone that has an aura (suck it PEWS )
    Last edited by Jono; 20-02-2013 at 10:40 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    I think for the ATG ODI game you need to have played an ODI, sadly =/

Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    I think for the ATG ODI game you need to have played an ODI, sadly =/
    Although Clive Rice occasionally makes an ATG team during one of our many Drafts. And he didn't play any official Test matches.

Also, Barry Richards and Mike Procter played precious few Test matches and are often rated ATGs in the Test arena.

It seems that when talent and skill is very very obvious then the 'need to have played' principle is allowed to be put to one side.

State Vice-Captain
    Why isn't Bradman considered for the ODI sides then?

Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Why isn't Bradman considered for the ODI sides then?
    I can only assume that it's a fairness thing - Bradman didn't play one-day cricket so Ponting and Abbas deserve their No.3 spot. That sort of thing.

To me it's pretty obvious that Bradman would love ODIs and do well at them. He would delight in no slips fielders, having loads of room in the in-field to place the ball, and a licence to loft the ball on purpose. Something he shunned in conventional cricket because of its inherent risk.

Incidently, the only time that Bradman admitted to lofting the ball was during a Shield game when NSW needed to quit the innings and declare. Fleetwood-Smith was the bowler and Bradman was trying to get out by toying with the long-on and long-off fieldman. Despite trying to hit the ball 'down their throat' he apparently kept (accidently) clearing their head for 6. It was caught on tape, and wish I could find the video again.

Banned
    voted for kapil

1.kapil / akram
    3.procter
    4.miller/botham
    6.imran/hadlee

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    To me it's pretty obvious that Bradman would love ODIs
    Think i remember reading somewhere that Bradman said he found ODIs about as fun as watching paint dry, so he probably wasnt a fan

Couldve been great as a number 3 odi batsman though, obviously, the ideal anchor of the innings whom you could rely on to get a big score. Didnt he get a hundred in 22 balls or something in an exhibition match? He was generally regarded as a pretty swift scorer too so its not a stretch to assume he wouldve been awesome in ODIs

Banned
    Voted for Kapil. Was a very reliable bowler and imo the best batsman for no.7 from those mentioned. Also saved his best for the toughest opposition and played arguably the greatest world cup innings ever to rescue India from certain defeat... good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Think i remember reading somewhere that Bradman said he found ODIs about as fun as watching paint dry, so he probably wasnt a fan

Couldve been great as a number 3 odi batsman though, obviously, the ideal anchor of the innings whom you could rely on to get a big score. Didnt he get a hundred in 22 balls or something in an exhibition match? He was generally regarded as a pretty swift scorer too so its not a stretch to assume he wouldve been awesome in ODIs
    Not a fan of watching probably.

But ask Bradman to take part in an ODI final in front of 90,000 fans at the MCG, with his 'enemy' Bill O'Reilly on the opposite team, then I dare say Bradman's competitive juices would start to flow.

Incidently, I also think that Bill O'Reilly would have taken to ODIs after a while too. All those batsman advancing down the wicket during the last 10 overs would have stirred his anger no end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information