• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Great Bowling Allrounders and ODI cricket - A Poll

Who is most likely to perform the best in a 50 over ODI World Cup Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watson

Banned
Why isn't Bradman considered for the ODI sides then?
I can only assume that it's a fairness thing - Bradman didn't play one-day cricket so Ponting and Abbas deserve their No.3 spot. That sort of thing.

To me it's pretty obvious that Bradman would love ODIs and do well at them. He would delight in no slips fielders, having loads of room in the in-field to place the ball, and a licence to loft the ball on purpose. Something he shunned in conventional cricket because of its inherent risk.

Incidently, the only time that Bradman admitted to lofting the ball was during a Shield game when NSW needed to quit the innings and declare. Fleetwood-Smith was the bowler and Bradman was trying to get out by toying with the long-on and long-off fieldman. Despite trying to hit the ball 'down their throat' he apparently kept (accidently) clearing their head for 6. It was caught on tape, and wish I could find the video again.

Satyanash89

Banned
To me it's pretty obvious that Bradman would love ODIs
Think i remember reading somewhere that Bradman said he found ODIs about as fun as watching paint dry, so he probably wasnt a fan

Couldve been great as a number 3 odi batsman though, obviously, the ideal anchor of the innings whom you could rely on to get a big score. Didnt he get a hundred in 22 balls or something in an exhibition match? He was generally regarded as a pretty swift scorer too so its not a stretch to assume he wouldve been awesome in ODIs

Satyanash89

Banned
Voted for Kapil. Was a very reliable bowler and imo the best batsman for no.7 from those mentioned. Also saved his best for the toughest opposition and played arguably the greatest world cup innings ever to rescue India from certain defeat... good enough for me

watson

Banned
Think i remember reading somewhere that Bradman said he found ODIs about as fun as watching paint dry, so he probably wasnt a fan

Couldve been great as a number 3 odi batsman though, obviously, the ideal anchor of the innings whom you could rely on to get a big score. Didnt he get a hundred in 22 balls or something in an exhibition match? He was generally regarded as a pretty swift scorer too so its not a stretch to assume he wouldve been awesome in ODIs
Not a fan of watching probably.

But ask Bradman to take part in an ODI final in front of 90,000 fans at the MCG, with his 'enemy' Bill O'Reilly on the opposite team, then I dare say Bradman's competitive juices would start to flow.

Incidently, I also think that Bill O'Reilly would have taken to ODIs after a while too. All those batsman advancing down the wicket during the last 10 overs would have stirred his anger no end.