Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philander's start

Philander's start

Vernon just keeps on taking wickets. He's now played 15 matches which is getting beyond the "flash in the pan" category... I thought I'd look at other seam bowlers to see how they'd done in their first 15 tests.

List below. Includes only seam bowlers, and only those who played post WW1. I trimmed it at 60+ wickets, which excluded a fair few of the greats. The below list isn't exhaustive, there may be some good but not great bowlers who had exceptional starts to their careers that I didn't think to check. But I checked most of the obvious ones. (eg Lee, Hogg, Alderman)

Wickets and average after bowler's first 15 tests.

Vernon Philander.......... 87 @ 16.82
    Bill Johnston.................. 73 @ 17.38
    Frank Tyson.................. 70 @ 18.78
    Ray Lindwall................. 65 @ 18.92
    Ian Botham.................... 78 @ 19.10
    Joel Garner................... 75 @ 19.62
    Waqar Younis............... 72 @ 20.09
    Ken Higgs...................... 71 @ 20.74
    Shane Bond................... 71 @ 20.90
    Courtney Walsh............. 60 @ 21.20
    Wes Hall........................ 83 @ 21.46
    Maurice Tate.................. 78 @ 21.70
    Fred Trueman................ 74 @ 21.87
    Stuart Clark.................... 68 @ 21.88
    Ian Bishop...................... 68 @ 22.26
    Bill Bowes...................... 68 @ 22.33
    Fazal Mahmood.............. 60 @ 22.35
    Rodney Hogg................. 64 @ 22.50
    Mohammad Asif............. 73 @ 23.01
    Colin Croft...................... 73 @ 23.21
    Brett Lee........................ 65 @ 23.43
    Andy Roberts................ 75 @ 23.82
    Allan Donald.................. 70 @ 23.87
    Peter Pollock.................. 68 @ 24.02
    Dale Steyn..................... 71 @ 24.38
    Michael Holding.............. 65 @ 24.55
    Jeff Thomson................. 74 @ 25.12
    Dennis Lillee................... 67 @ 25.26
    John Snow.................... 67 @ 26.31
    Terry Alderman.............. 65 @ 27.78
    Bill Voce......................... 60 @ 28.38
    Alec Bedser................... 65 @ 32.75
    Imran Khan..................... 62 @ 32.95

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Has Tangy written an article on Higgs?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Not sure but Rob has uploaded a pretty good video of Higgs bowling

Ken Higgs forgotten master test bowler 71 wickets @20.74 - YouTube
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Has Tangy written an article on Higgs?
    Nah - I batted out four overs against his son once - he was far too quick for me as I barely laid bat on ball till I got a streaky four at the end - he got quicker 'cos he got pissed off as he didn't, as he should have, got me lbw - but then the umpire was my old man

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Philander keeps baffling me. He just looks very ordinary when I've seen him play. Yet he keeps taking bags of wickets cheaply. I keep expecting him to level out, but he shows no signs of it. Still early days, but I just can't figure him out.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    It's pretty easy to see why he takes bags of wickets tbh. Graeme Smith said he's the seam version of Ajmal, which to me is one of the best comparisons I've ever heard.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Philander keeps baffling me. He just looks very ordinary when I've seen him play. Yet he keeps taking bags of wickets cheaply. I keep expecting him to level out, but he shows no signs of it. Still early days, but I just can't figure him out.
    He'll level out eventually. Wasn't Hussey averaging in the 80's until something like his 20th test? Reckon his average will break 20 sometime in the next 12 months and never go back.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 19-02-2013 at 03:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Why did Glen McGrath take so many wickets?
    Twenty-over cricket can be “boring”. It has grown up. It takes concentration. It is no longer a game for the post-literate generation. They need the distractions, the loud music to disguise the boredom. They never warned you about that.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Speaking from experience, this sort of thing usually starts with reciprocal sideways glances.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I have seen quite a bit of him in this series and now I am finallly learning to appreciate him sure Pakistani batsman are not what you call technique and temperament gods but his method of bowling will trouble any batsman in the world. Rarely bowls a bad ball his good ball will always make a batsman play or would be attacking the stumps does not get the banana movement which Steyn can get but to get a nick you don't need to. Having world class bowler bowling from the other end certainly helps it means batsman are looking for more opposites to score from his end hence may induce more pokes then he would say if his bowling partner was Ishant Sharma or Umer Gul. Still feel he might have his little struggles in sub cont and UAE but his discipline of keeping it tight may eventually mean it would be far from a disaster.

I find it hard to believe that its puzzling any Australians why he picks up so many wickets. Especially considering they had this tall bloke who was not the fastest nor did he get massive reverse swing or get banana movement with the ball. He run in smooth action wicket to wicket and keep it at a good line and length bowling with great accuracy. That bloke picked up a huge amount of wickets that way and is considered as one of the greats of Australia and the world. He made it look so simple and easy in the way he went about.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardofAmla View Post
    I find it hard to believe that its puzzling any Australians why he picks up so many wickets. Especially considering they had this tall bloke who was not the fastest nor did he get massive reverse swing or get banana movement with the ball. He run in smooth action wicket to wicket and keep it at a good line and length bowling with great accuracy. That bloke picked up a huge amount of wickets that way and is considered as one of the greats of Australia and the world. He made it look so simple and easy in the way he went about.
    One of Mcgrath's biggest asset was the bounce he generated Philly is not that tall so he does not get the advantage of extra bounce that Mcgrath had.

Pretty simple

Vernon got wickets against us on green tracks in SA when we were at a very low point

Next time we saw him, he was largely innocuous apart from a couple of spells

I can also understand if the English have a similar view as he looked decidedly ordinary until the clouds rolled in at Lords

It is certainly myopic but people can only go off what they see

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Yeh, but Bruce Reid got injured a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information