Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ian Butler

U19 Debutant

Ian Butler

I saw this guy against england in t20 today and was just awesome. Also saw him in 2009 against India and at times was unplayable there. He length is impeccable, with a nagging off stump line in the Mcgrath mould. I also heard before injuries that he was a very fast bowler (not that he needs the extra pace with such good lenght and seam movement). It is a real shame this guy could not overcome injuries otherwise couldd have been a major test prospect. I feel he is one of the major players of our time not to fulfill his potential- hopefully now he will enjoy a mid career resurgenece.
    All Time Test XI:

Openers: S.Gavaskar V.Sehwag Middle Order: V.Richards S.Tendulkar B.Lara All Rounders: G.Sobers I Khan (C) WK: A.Gilchrist Bowlers: W.Akram M.Marshall M.Muralitharan

All Time ODI XI:

WK: A.Gilchrist S.Tendulkar V.Richards R. Ponting M. Dhoni M. Bevan Allrounder: K.Dev Bowlers: W.Akram J. Garner M.Muralitharan G. McGrath

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I remember him being quite ordinary
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

U19 Debutant
    2nd Test: New Zealand v Pakistan at Wellington, Dec 26-30, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

6/46 vs Pak- showed glimpses of his potential, only played 8 test matches

He's solid, nice action etc, but really he is nothing too special. After demolishing his back he lost pace which would have made him deadly, but is still a solid 135k bowler.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

I'll get you, Butler!
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Was a decent bat too iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    He's solid, nice action etc, but really he is nothing too special. After demolishing his back he lost pace which would have made him deadly, but is still a solid 135k bowler.
    It's pretty good he's managed to get his pace back up to the mid to late 130's. I remember when he was making a comeback for ND very much as a batting allrounder. Apparently before the back injuries he was clocked at 150kph. NZ could have had quite a potent opening combination with Shane Bond the other opening bowler at the time.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    When Ian Butler was young and in the Black Caps he wasn't very fast and he wasn't very good. He's a better bowler now than he ever was imo. I don't remember him clocking much higher than 145kph either, so his 150kph-ness may have been ocassional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    When Ian Butler was young and in the Black Caps he wasn't very fast and he wasn't very good. He's a better bowler now than he ever was imo. I don't remember him clocking much higher than 145kph either, so his 150kph-ness may have been ocassional.
    Yeah, he pretty much started first class cricket and was straight into the Black Caps. I briefly saw him playing under 19's, but was overseas when he debuted and can't remember seeing him bowl on tv pre-injury.

Do you think he would be near test selection now? He wouldn't get past Boult, Bracewell or Southee, but maybe if they wanted to play 4 seamers?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Leading wicket taker iirc so he'll probably be talked about when they're picking reserves.

If Butler did play, how would you order Dougeh, Southee and him in a batting order I wonder. That is probably his angle tbh, averaging 36 in an admittedly farcical lusty lower-order summer.
    Last edited by Kippax; 14-02-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    I find it funny how media are running the "inspirational return from injury" story- that was the case when he made his way back into the team 4 years ago. Since then he hasn't been in the team because he just isn't very good. His injury troubles were all 2004-2008ish.

Also, they're pushing the "he used to be quick but has reinvented himself" angle. No. His run-up, action and speeds are all pretty much identical now to when he was first in the team. I don't recall him ever bowling above low 140s.

I remember him hitting 151ks a long time ago. I remember because he was only the second NZer to be clocked over 150, with Bond. Then he broke down not long after.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information