• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Butler

Mike5181

International Captain
Speaking of which, was wondering what that list would be. Off the top of my head:

Bond
Sinclair
Franklin
Ryder
H Marshall
Tuffey

Some other names: Fulton, How, Cumming, Cairns, Vincent, Oram
Andre Adams (not so much his fault)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't mind Butler in the test team as a 4th seamer.

If we go with 4 pace bowlers, McCleneghan is probably first in line though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum.
In some ways agree - would have been nice if he could have remained a test wicketkeeper. Though on the field I think he's done reasonably well for us all things told.

Andre Adams (not so much his fault)
Would put in a similar boat to Butler - if things hadn't gone wrong he might have been a good test bowler for us.

Craig McMillan
Perhaps underperformed compared to his apparent ball-striking ability however problems with the mental side of the game are valid too. Still had a high test average (though sometimes I can't for the life of me remember how).

Surprisingly am struggling to think of more names so Adams and Butler starting to look like candidates.

BeeGee

International Captain
can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't mind Butler in the test team as a 4th seamer.
You change your mind quickly...

I'm a Butler fan.

My Test Team

1. McCullum
2. Flynn or Guptill (toss a coin)
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Brownlie
6. Watling
7. Munro
8. Butler
9. Bracewell
10. Southee
11. Boult

Plenty of bowling options. This is the key to winning Tests.
I'm more worried about the Butler selection TBH

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I know.

Didn't realise he could bat these days, which is a big plus. Also, after watching that video he looks nice and consistent.

Even if he is just a line and length bowler, as long as he's tight that's not much of a loss vs Chris Martin or a spinner.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He is not international standard and will get found out in this tour if he plays enough games.

If he plays the ODIs then in at least one game he will go for more than 70.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Got a little penisy too.

No objections to bowlers giving the batsmen a little verbals but when you do it after being collared properly it does make you look a bit of an arsehole.

BeeGee

International Captain
He is not international standard and will get found out in this tour if he plays enough games.

If he plays the ODIs then in at least one game he will go for more than 70.
He's not in the ODI squad, so barring a string of injuries, he won't get another game on tour.

IMO, he is international quality. He managed to take 24 wickets in 8 tests when he was young, stupid and trying to bowl at a million miles an hour. He is now a FAR superior bowler (and batsman) than he was then, but will probably never play in another test.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
He probably will play the Queenstown warm-up match, being the leading wicket-taker that isn't Arnel.

13 guys got a run last year vs. Zimbabwe in a similar game, and he's outperformed C Martin both in stats and to the eye. Gillespie has chips to cash in from last summer but he's not beating domestix for pace like he was before those tests. Mills, don't think they'll go there.